Diagnostics Connector for '05 Baja ABS System

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Scrappy-Doo
Scoobytruck Lurker

Diagnostics Connector for '05 Baja ABS System

Post by Scrappy-Doo »

Where oh where did they hide that connector in my '05 Sport?

My ABS light is on. It must be due to one boogered-up wheel sensor. Same thing happened when I bought it a year ago but the dealer got it fixed. It just came back and I want to address this myself as I think it's just a matter of cleaning the sensor. I do not want to clean all four. I am what you might call "ambitiously lazy" so all I want to do is use the ABS diagnostic tell me which one to remove, inspect and clean, possibly repair.

That ABS Diagnostic connector is definitely not on the right side of the steering column in my '05 Sport. I did find one or two loose connectors there but none resemble that shown in the manual. The left side of the column didn't reveal much as the space is tighter, the harnesses are bulky and wrapped in tape.

Do we have any scoobytruckers with experience in running the '05 ABS diagnostics, know where the connector is hidden and the process for reading ABS codes?
Scrappy-Doo
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Diagnostics Connector for '05 Baja ABS System

Post by Scrappy-Doo »

Bump
Scrappy-Doo
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Scrappy-Doo »

I wanted to be able to thank our forum members for the much needed technical assistance I asked for but none stepped-up. At first I thought I was offended having been labeled a "Lurker" and now I understand why the moderators chose to tag newbies with such an unflattering term. How will forum members learn if they only "Lurk" without participation? Do you all really know so little that you wouldn't even chime-in with an acknowledgement such-as "I have a similar problem with my Baja, but it does this instead of that"...well good luck to you and your mechanics...I'm sure they love to see you coming.

A month has passed since my original request for assistance. Good thing I didn't wait around. Diligence paid-off as I found the connector and the diagnostics terminals. The diagnostic delivered a code 52 which led me down the path of electrical troubleshooting bliss.

Despite your unwillingness, I will share my experience anyway. Use it as you see fit.

Troubleshooting revealed only 2-6 volts present at ABS connector pin 25. All the fuses and their contacts were fine. A deep dive into the harness in search of a fat (16AWG?) White/Red wire led me to a shitty repair job committed by a hack artist. This hack-job was located in the harness channel dead-center beneath the radiator. A 4 inch length of green wire had been twisted-spliced into place then wrapped with electrical tape. The two splices were corroding (reduced to a green cake under all the electrical tape) and went from intermittent to full-on resistant.

I have since cut out and replaced the shitty connections with same wire gauge/color, soldered and sleeved all connections weather-tight, added new harness cover, wrapped it tight and tucked all back into the channel. No more ABS warning light and (thankfully) a fully functional ABS system again.
Scrappy-Doo
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Scrappy-Doo »

I'm sorry for that mad rant ... didn't mean to vent on you.
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

Hi Scrappy-Doo,

I really appreciate that you came back to share your experiences, despite the underwhelming response... Maybe if others (not just here, but all over the 'net) followed-up in a similar way, the future will be much brighter, filled with lollipops and a lot less rage-quits and table-flips.

https://xkcd.com/979/

Sorry I couldn't help, but I had to disable the ABS on mine. Whenever I hit a bump while braking, the ABS would kick in and release braking pressure, but it would never re-apply it... resulting in the vehicle rolling through the intersection, despite the road being completely dry. Anyway, now I'm pretty good at threshold braking, even in panic situations....
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

The problem with forums is people see it, but if you're like me and have no idea...no response. Sounds like a pretty unique problem.
theluckyone17
Scoobytruck Master

Post by theluckyone17 »

My ABS light is still on. Found that aforementioned ABS plug, but the pins are different. Might be a model year thing... mine's an '06. Tried grounding out each pin, and did everything from blowing fuses to blowing the horn. Didn't get an ABS code, though.

I'll pony up and hit my local garage for their SSM (Subaru Select Monitor) reader. Even the free SSM tools won't pull ABS diagnostic codes, from what I've read. It's not fun. :?
Onyx: 2006 Baja Sport