Strange Baja Noises

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Strange Baja Noises

Post by Guacamole »

Hello everyone! I recently purchased a used 2006 Baja. During the Test drive I had no problems- a week later, some problems started to occur.
The first problem I have is whenever I make a right turn & accelerate I hear a loud popping noise that coincides with the spinning of the tires/axles, etc. This problem DOESN'T happen if I have weight (at least 150lbs) in the front passenger seat! As I hear the sound, I also feel a slight vibration, like a "thump" every time it pops. The popping gets faster the more I accelerate & it completely stops if I take my foot off the gas.

My mechanic & I have checked the tie-rods, the exhaust, the CV joints, the ball joints (replaced one because it was slightly loose, didn't affect the sound), the axles, the rims, all were secure & looked pretty much new & were secured tight.

The second problem started happening last week. Every so often driving down the highway I'll hear a very quiet high-pitch wining noise coming from what sounds like the middle-front of the vehicle. I only hear this sound if I again, have my foot on the gas- it completely stops if I take my foot off the gas. The sound lasts for a couple seconds then dies down.

I should note that the dealership I purchased the Baja from had replaced the axles.

Any and all help would be appreciated!
alpha_numeric44
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Strange Baja Noises

Post by alpha_numeric44 »

Is your car an automatic, or a stick?

My stick has had the center differential go out twice now.

I replaced the bad one with a used one because of cost. But now that one as taken a shit.

Now I've got the torque bind again.

It makes a loud banging popping under tight turns, but only after its hot from highway driving.

Does this sound similar to your issue at all?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

My Baja is an automatic. I'll do some research on the centre differential, but this does sound like the problem! I'll have this looked into, thanks for the reply!
alpha_numeric44
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by alpha_numeric44 »

Older 90s outback had a fuse underhood that when pulled, converted the car into FWD. This was the quick fix for older cars with torque bind. Then when the snow comes, you stick a fuse back in and you have AWD.

Torque bind is like true 4wd. All wheels are tied together and want to spin at the same speed, no matter what the ground is telling them.

This is a problem under tight turns since the outside wheels travel a further distance than the inside wheels.
Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

I ended up taking it to the closest Subaru dealership (an hour away) & had them take a look at it. It turns out the problem was the axles: apparently the Dealership I purchased the Baja from had replaced the axles with cheap aftermarket axles that weren't fully compatible with Subaru. Needless to say the axles were failing with only two months use & I had to have them replaced. I also did a tire alignment & all the tires were offset by a couple degrees in all 3 directions because of the bad axles.