ABS

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

theluckyone17
Scoobytruck Master

ABS

Post by theluckyone17 »

tl;dnr: Anybody have any luck pulling ABS codes on an '06 yet?

For those who like to read: Spent Sunday replacing the O2 sensor & driver's side valve cover gasket, and cleaned out my PCV. I've also had some difficulty with a small leak in the passenger footwell when parking on a slight uphill incline during heavy rains (heard water hitting the blower's fan blades at one point, too), so I poured a bucket of water over the passenger side of the windshield as well, trying to hunt down the source of the leak. I was not successful.

Immediately after the above, the ABS light lit on the dash and has stayed on. With the possible exception of the poured water, I don't believe I was anywhere near any of the components of the ABS system when I was doing the work. I did remove the battery entirely to get at the driver's side valve cover, but it's never been a problem whenever I've disconnected it in the past. Went back through and checked the passenger front wheel sensor, just to make sure I didn't hit the wire when wrenching on the oxygen sensor. Gave the rest of the ABS wiring a cursory check, as well as cleaning up a couple of the grounds in the ABS module's neighborhood.

What would be nice is knowing the code it's throwing, but apparently this is not a shade-tree-mechanic job. Allegedly some years allow you to find a black electrical connection under the dash (found it) with two grounding wires off the same harness (found those, too), then ground out pin 6 on the connection. Problem is, there's no pin #6 to ground out, though the hole is there in the plug. I imagine that means I'm going to have to hunt down someone (stealership) with a Subaru Select Monitor diagnostic tool to pull the ABS code. I was hoping FreeSSM was going to be able to... but from what I'm reading, FreeSSM will only communicate with the ECU/TCM, not the ABS module. The FSM mentions only pulling the ABS codes using the SSM tool.

Can anyone shed any light on this?
Onyx: 2006 Baja Sport