Convert from Auto to Manual transmission

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

SnowOwl
Scoobytruck Lurker

Convert from Auto to Manual transmission

Post by SnowOwl »

Hey guys, I got a 4 speed auto. I want to possibly change out the transmission to one of those 5 speed manuals. Is it possible? I was looking up some decent prices on used transmissions just wasn't sure if it'd be simaliar to trying to turbo an NA baja....just buy a Turbo. Thanks!
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Convert from Auto to Manual transmission

Post by mikenmel08 »

It is doable but a lot work involved
hocrest
Scoobytruck Master

Post by hocrest »

I did it on my 03. I did some documentation on this board. Look for threads I started and you should find it.
SnowOwl
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by SnowOwl »

hocrest wrote:I did it on my 03. I did some documentation on this board. Look for threads I started and you should find it.
found that thread, thanks a ton. How much did it end up costing total? I found a junked/part Baja with a manual transmission i'd probably be able to get everything from
hocrest
Scoobytruck Master

Post by hocrest »

SnowOwl wrote:
found that thread, thanks a ton. How much did it end up costing total? I found a junked/part Baja with a manual transmission i'd probably be able to get everything from
I'm not sure of the cost, well under $1000. But it wasn't my first trans swap. The trans was one that I got out of a u-pull yard for $75. My biggest cost was the new clutch kit. Also, I was able to gather the parts over a few months, so I was able to wait for deals.