Burnt oil smell

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Scratcher09
Scoobytruck Lurker

Burnt oil smell

Post by Scratcher09 »

When I turn off my Baja there is a strong burnt oil smell. It looks to me that differential oil is dripping onto the exhaust right where the Y comes together. Has anyone else experienced or fixed this?
Zombaja
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Burnt oil smell

Post by Zombaja »

mine seems to drip somewhere on the passenger side near the front of the engine.

had the seals for the remote oil filter replaced, still getting leaks and oil smell.

Ive got UV dye in the oil that I hope will help when I bring it back into the mechanic
tomato_88
Scoobytruck Master

Post by tomato_88 »

Hello new head gaskets.
ags0702
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by ags0702 »

It is head gaskets. Dripping on exhaust. Not a big deal as it is an external leak. My 06 did the same thing and it got on my nerves so i had head gaskets done along with timing belt for 100k service.
Scratcher09
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Scratcher09 »

I didn't have it on a lift so I didn't get a real good look at it, but it appeared to me that it was coming from front differential. Would head gasket leak oil onto differential?
Anomaly
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Anomaly »

I realize this is an old thread, but I have been getting the same burnt oil smell when I turn off my '03. We also own an '03 Forester that the head gasket went on. In my experience with the Forester and other cars, head gasket issues tend to give of an anti-freeze odor rather than one of burnt oil. Anyway, we've had the Baja since this past September (just a little over three months), and when doing oil changes and checking the level, the oil is the cleanest I have ever seen. It literally looks like it was just poured out of the container. I also see no leaks anywhere in the engine compartment or on the ground. Any other ideas beyond the head gasket?

By the way, it's got just under 120,000 miles on it... Roughly the same as the Forester when it's head gasket went. Also, I do not get the odor every time. It seems to go through periods where it will smell for a few days then nothing for another few.