rough Idle

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Baja life 06
Scoobytruck Lurker

rough Idle

Post by Baja life 06 »

Hey guys, I 've been having a slight rough idle and I was wondering where and what brand would be for some good ignition wires. I looked on NGK's website and only found the plugs and sensors.. I figured that since the previous owner used to use regular gas in the turbo Baja that I would start by swapping the plugs and wires..
any help would be great.
looking for very good wires not really sweating the costs.
Trucklett
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: rough Idle

Post by Trucklett »

If you've got a turbo, you don't have wires, you've got coil packs. Unfortunately, there are a laundry list of things that can be causing that rough idle.
Ferroplasm
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Ferroplasm »

Trucklett, could you maybe list the top 3-5 of them? I can't speak for Baja life 06, but my '06 turbo has a little bit of a shudder at idle. I can't figure out what it is. The Independent Subaru mechanic I go to said it could need spark plugs. I bought it at 71k miles and don't know the maintenance history.
Trucklett
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Trucklett »

Wow! You and I are very similar. I bought my 05 Turbo with 70,344 miles on it. Luckily I was able to find the servicing dealer through the CarFax and they were very cooperative in listing the service history to me over the phone (since it wasn't reported to CarFax). I lucked out in that regard.

Yep, usually you question plugs. Could also be early rumblings of an O2 sensor that hasn't thrown a code yet. I was just talking a to a buddy of mine that was a former Richard Childress mechanic and he was talking about how this awful ethanol fuel has been causing early O2 sensor failure.

If you don't know the service history, that makes it tougher for you to use process of elimination to pinpoint it. I think plugs were scheduled for replacement at 60K miles.
Ferroplasm
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Ferroplasm »

I was just able to track down the dealership that the previous owner has all the services performed at and they were not willing to give me copies of the service records. What was your experience when requesting these. They would only tell me he had the 60k service done at 59k. Not many details at all.
Trucklett
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Trucklett »

I couldn't get physical copies of anything, but the service guy I spoke with was kind enough to read it all to me over the phone. So I knew when it got exhaust, brakes, mile services, oil changes, etc. I definitely think he was the exception to the rule. I told him how I fell in love with the Baja, but I was really paranoid about the turbo ticking time bomb, etc. I would never have bought the car without all that information, so I was VERY grateful to him.
Baja life 06
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Baja life 06 »

I went to the dealer and bought some plugs and replaced them.. In doing this I found that one of the coils has a zip tie wrapped around it and that got me thinking that this might be the source of my issue..
tomato_88
Scoobytruck Master

Post by tomato_88 »

Trucklett wrote:I couldn't get physical copies of anything, but the service guy I spoke with was kind enough to read it all to me over the phone. So I knew when it got exhaust, brakes, mile services, oil changes, etc. I definitely think he was the exception to the rule. I told him how I fell in love with the Baja, but I was really paranoid about the turbo ticking time bomb, etc. I would never have bought the car without all that information, so I was VERY grateful to him.
What did you find?
Baja life 06
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Baja life 06 »

Hey Just Replaced The Zip Tied Coil And The Slight Shudder Is Still There. I Was Readin That Its PossibLy A Vacuum Leak. Are These Known For That. .Still No Cel Or Code But I Want That Shudder Gone.
dfritz
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by dfritz »

Way back a number of years ago, there was an oil pressure relief valve RECALL . The thing is on the side of the engine, and has a spring and a ball in it. The recall involved taking the ball out, which smoothed the idle out.

My 05 turbo did not have the VIN number in the recall, but the thing has always idled like a chevy with a full race cam.

In looking for the recall, I can't find it any more. anyone else remember?
hallway
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by hallway »

Rough idle can also be a cause of dirty fuel system. Try to check fuel filter and the fuel regulator.
tomato_88
Scoobytruck Master

Post by tomato_88 »

I did a seafoam treatment today. Unfortunately I did not get the huge cloud of smoke from it that some do. Somehow it feels less effective without the smoke.