Problems after Performance Upgrades

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

justindenton
Scoobytruck Lurker

Problems after Performance Upgrades

Post by justindenton »

So I got a little overzealous over the Winter season and I upgraded a few parts on my Baja.. I installed a TD05 20g Turbo, Headers, 3" Exhaust and Downpipe.. Removed the Cat and I go out to the stock muffler to reduce overall noise on the car.. I finally finished everything this weekend and I took it out for a spin, drove about 8 miles, stopped to visit and then drove to get lunch another mile. Then after leaving the car started running bad and idle fluctuates and dies out driving or idling at a stop. I was able to get it back to my parents house about a couple blocks away, but could drive a little bit then it would die.. Literally in that 2 blocks I had to start the car about 5 times.
I had my parents drive me back home, I got my Scantool and pulled the codes on the Baja, "p0171 p0011 p1301 p0545 p0301 p0302 p0303 p0304".. Misfire on all cylinders, some overtime codes and an over-Avanced Timing code..

The main item I know I haven't done is getting a tune, but would that cause the car from driving ok to not have the ability to make it back the 8 miles I drove from my house? Any thoughts on where to start diagnostics?

Trying to do a little diagnostics before I can get back to my parents house this week.
tomato_88
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Problems after Performance Upgrades

Post by tomato_88 »

Yes. Don't drive with mods without a tune! That could cause all those symptoms. Plus it can cause real damage.
TastyHuman
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by TastyHuman »

I had similar problems after install a turbo on a VW Scirocco years ago. The problem ended up being a flexible duct on the intake that developed a crack during the turbo install.
split196
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by split196 »

Basically the car is trying to run on the "Factory Settings" not knowing you have made all these changes and is confused hence taking a while to start to go bad as its trying to find the best way to run the engine as it knows...but cant and it just gives up. Either Tow it to be tuned on a Dyno or remove the parts, you WILL kill the car if you persist.
SnowOwl
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by SnowOwl »

Would installing new air intakes and an exhaust have the same results on an NA model?
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mikenmel08 »

SnowOwl wrote:Would installing new air intakes and an exhaust have the same results on an NA model?

No , that will be fine