popping in left front

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Ru Ru McGoo
Scoobytruck Lurker

popping in left front

Post by Ru Ru McGoo »

Anyone ever had a popping noise in the left front of your baja when driving straight at low speed and hitting bumps? I have checked the suspension, cv axle, wheel bearings, lug nuts and brakes (just rebuilt those front and rear last wkend). Everything is tight that I can see or get my hands on. I'm a mechanic by trade, so I'm stranger to diagnosis and repair, its what I do Mon - Fri......but this one has me a bit baffled. :| I'm starting to wonder if it is not something in the front diff. Any thoughts?
tomato_88
Scoobytruck Master

Re: popping in left front

Post by tomato_88 »

How many miles on the suspension?
Ru Ru McGoo
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: popping in left front

Post by Ru Ru McGoo »

109,000 miles on suspension. Didn't find anything in suspension really in bad shape during complete front/rear brake job. I had buy another tranny(used low mileage) shortly after we got the Ru do to the people we got it from ran it for quite a while with bad cv on right side causing catastrophic front diff damage. Pulled motor and tranny together and done a complete regasket job on motor, pressure check and resurfaced heads. Wife and I installed tranny and motor together.(how many men can say that, my wife rocks [smilie=coolup.gif] ) So due to tranny is used, i kinda question it. I have another ring and pinion set and another carrier housing. But would rather find out if anyone ever had similar issues before I replace ring and pinion gear set with carrier bearings in tranny. So any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.............. Just in case anyone is wondering, tranny is no fun to pull out or install.