2003 Automatic Shifting

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

TastyHuman
Scoobytruck Contributer

2003 Automatic Shifting

Post by TastyHuman »

In spite of my general dislike for Automatic transmissions I bought my Baja with/Auto because it was low mileage in like new condition. Although I love the little cruck the transmission shifting leaves something to be desired. I had the dealer change every fluid in the car right after purchase so I don't think it is a fluid problem.

I am wondering if this behavior is normal with 03 Automatics. First, when backing up, stopping, and shifting into drive it takes a few seconds before the transmission engages. Second, when driving rolling hills and transitioning from downhill to uphill at maybe 30 mph the transmission downshifts with a jarring shift.

Is this normal behavior for this transmission? I haven't noticed any other problems with it but the shifting leaves something to be desired.

If this is not normal, is there some adjustment that can be done or am I looking at major problems down the road?

I do wish it was a stick.
hocrest
Scoobytruck Master

Re: 2003 Automatic Shifting

Post by hocrest »

Have you checked the fluid level?
TastyHuman
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by TastyHuman »

hocrest wrote:Have you checked the fluid level?
Yes, if anything when the fluid is hot it is slightly overfilled. Would that cause it? The hard shifts are the same hot or cold.
KzooBaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by KzooBaja »

I have the same vehicle, I was thinking of swapping in a 5 speed.... I however do not have that problem with the shifting.... It does shift pretty crisp if you are more than 50% throttle... but i have no problems with it hesitating to go into gear from park or reverse..... I really would like to have a 5 speed, I am unsure of what ones would fit as I think I remember reading that the Turbo and Non-Turbo 5 speeds where different???.....
Abe
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Abe »

2003 Automatic Shifting to slow. If you have the time and skill check your differential/tranny for recent work by the prior owner. It may not be assembled properly thus not giving you good power distribution from the tanny to differntial. Have a compression check...
SPORT Abe
2005 Baja Turbo
Arizona
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Glad I found this, my 06 auto has roughly a 1-second delay when switching from neutral to reverse. It also takes a while to switch from 2nd to 3rd gear, like around 35mph. The 2nd-3rd lag doesn't happen if I'm just going down the country roads or main highways, but there's a few city roads here that are 25mph limit & the trans doesn't want to shift up. I'm almost tempted to force it into 3rd gear so I don't have to speed around there. :?
Subie tech changed the trans fluid & the filter & says the trans is fine.