Stuffing a Legacy H6 in a 03 Baja, how hard can it be?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

5050GRIP
Scoobytruck Contributer

Stuffing a Legacy H6 in a 03 Baja, how hard can it be?

Post by 5050GRIP »

I have a 2003 Baja 5 spd manual, I am thinking of dropping the H6 from the legacy, how hard could it be? My experience; I have done quite a few swaps on other cars before.
The stock NA flat 4 is just lame for this vehicle and give crappy 20mpg combined with open back. I want to drop in something with more torque off the line. A factory turbo 2.5 is on my mind as well but its just too much more stuff to add.
Please help!
guiguilandry
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Stuffing a Legacy H6 in a 03 Baja, how hard can it be?

Post by guiguilandry »

Not that bad, I just did it in my 03 5 speed, but you need a complete donor car... because you needs a lots of stuff from the h6 legacy !!

But I'M a mechanic and I'm specialized in electricity and engine swaps...
so, not that bad for me is most of the time a shitload of problem for someone not mechanically inclined...

if you're patient, you can do it and I can tell you what to do with the wiring !!
The 1st BAJA with EZ30d swap and LGT05 Tranny !!!!!! I love torque !!!!
5050GRIP
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by 5050GRIP »

Thanks for the update, I have been waiting patiently for a reply.
I want to do the swap but having two chassis around would pose a problem, cus I am space limited in NYC.
guiguilandry
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by guiguilandry »

Really you need the complete donor car..
there is a lot involved in the swap...
mechanically it's not too bad but you need to swap everything from the H6, but the real fun begin with the wiring...

there is a couple of differences, In my case I had to merge these..

Abs system : (I merged the 2 harness to keep my stock abs)
VDC : (remove from H6 harness/merge with abs)
VSS system : (I've put a 05+ canbus tranny without a VSS, Had to install a VSSPro)
Cluster signal : (VSS and RPM you need to keep the H6 cluster)
Cargo lamp circuit : (no cargo lamp on the outback wiring, see next line)
Backup lamp circuit : (wired the cargolamp with them, you need diodes)
L+R brake lamp circuit : (need to wire them with the 3rdbrake light)
Rear flasher : (wire them in the original backup lamp with diodes)
Shifter input : (if you go manual)
Clutch switch (2) : (if you go manual)

The extras :

Climate control system : (I had manual, now I have auto climate control)
Radio : (had a normal, now a McIntosh)
Heated seats : ( Didn't have before, now yes)
Heated Mirrors : ( Didn't have before, now yes)
Heated windshield : ( Didn't have before, now yes)

The down:
Constant p1596 CEL always on (no driveability issue, gonna work on this later)
My door lock remote doesn't work anymore because there is no integrated unit on the outback (I can put a aftermarket remote starter with doorlock)

BUT... It will be easy if you keep the auto tranny...
LrgLnrd
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by LrgLnrd »

Hey sounds good and great job with getting it done but have a few question about this
For the swap is it necessary to merge both harnesses or was that involved with doing the interior swaps?
If I would do this I was strictly going after the engine and not looking for any other features. I have read write ups on the 3.3 h6 into the gc impreza but that is also much older technology and you were able to sort out strictly the engine wiring harness from the rest and just rewire them into the existing gc harness.
I know that some if not all of the WRX's STI's and possibly/probably other models use the ACVS (IIRC) system and that can cause issues with doing engine swaps but does the baja and 3.0 h6 use this system?
Would it be possible to use the older 3.3 h6 motor with less wiring issues or is it too dated to really work.
Oh and I am driving a 03 N/A 5 speed also.
Sorry if I am way off on this but I just trying to find out as much as I can because this is definitely an ideal setup.
Also how well did the motor fit? Did you need to chop up the front end at all and did you have to find a different rad? Also do you still have A/C? In the gc's I know its a loss.
Greg
guiguilandry
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by guiguilandry »

you need the complete 2000 to 2002 outback (it's the same frame as the baja, everything is bolt-on into the baja)
you strip them both totally...
I mean no more dash, no more front wiring harness, no more fusebox, no more radiator, no more a/c hoses, no more P/s hose, no more throttle and ac cable, no more seats, no more carpet... etc etc etc...

then you take EVERYTHING from the outback to the baja,

you reassemble the outback setup in the baja then you can do 90% the wire merging inside the car

the older eg33 will require wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more work to fit than the ez30d
the newer ez30r will be pretty much the same but with electronic throttle body and has variable intake geometry

you could also do a ''normal wire merge with only the engine harness, but I wanted to add all the luxury of that outback to my baja...

if you can send me both complete wiring harness I can do a basic wire merge for you $$$
Boglin5000
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Boglin5000 »

Hello, guiguilandry!
I'm currently in the process of doing a 02 Outback VDC(I have a nice donor car) swap into my 03 Auto Baja, and was curious if you could give me some insight as to what the differences would be between your swap and mine. I plan on keeping the auto tranny and probably leaving the auto climate control out, unless it's not much of a hassle relative to the rest of the swap. Thanks!
guiguilandry
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by guiguilandry »

you'll use the Outback tranny ?? do you want to keep the VDC ??
the fastest way to do it is to simply swap EVERYTHING... a lot less trouble than merging harness... the auto tranny from the baja won't hold long the torque of the H6...

when I say everything... it really is everything except the steering column, all the accessories, the p/s lines the A/C Lines, radiator, fans, fusebox all the front wiring harness, dash, gauge cluster, all the interior wiring...

one cool thing is that you don't need to drop the subframe and steering rack... they are the same in the outback... but you still need to remove the front bumper and 2 front inner fender to swap the front wiring harness

Boglin5000 wrote:Hello, guiguilandry!
I'm currently in the process of doing a 02 Outback VDC(I have a nice donor car) swap into my 03 Auto Baja, and was curious if you could give me some insight as to what the differences would be between your swap and mine. I plan on keeping the auto tranny and probably leaving the auto climate control out, unless it's not much of a hassle relative to the rest of the swap. Thanks!
Boglin5000
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Boglin5000 »

Thanks for the quick reply, I really appreciate it.
Yes, I plan to use the outback tranny and keep the VDC enabled for the swap. I'm hoping to do two swaps really, with adding all the baja parts back into the outback so I have two running vehicles at the end of the project.

guiguilandry wrote:you'll use the Outback tranny ?? do you want to keep the VDC ??
the fastest way to do it is to simply swap EVERYTHING... a lot less trouble than merging harness... the auto tranny from the baja won't hold long the torque of the H6...

when I say everything... it really is everything except the steering column, all the accessories, the p/s lines the A/C Lines, radiator, fans, fusebox all the front wiring harness, dash, gauge cluster, all the interior wiring...

one cool thing is that you don't need to drop the subframe and steering rack... they are the same in the outback... but you still need to remove the front bumper and 2 front inner fender to swap the front wiring harness
guiguilandry
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by guiguilandry »

Well if you want to keep the VDC also, you'll need to swap master cylinder and brakelines to the ebcm as they are bigger in diameter on the vdc car... also of course the vdc/abs module
Boglin5000 wrote:Thanks for the quick reply, I really appreciate it.
Yes, I plan to use the outback tranny and keep the VDC enabled for the swap. I'm hoping to do two swaps really, with adding all the baja parts back into the outback so I have two running vehicles at the end of the project.

guiguilandry wrote:you'll use the Outback tranny ?? do you want to keep the VDC ??

5050GRIP
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by 5050GRIP »

you need the complete 2000 to 2002 outback
Why only these and not 03 and 04 Outbacks?
Can the outback sedan work as well?
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

I looked at going to the H6, but decided to go 2.5 turbo. The H6 question gets a much simpler answer if you ditch the OEM ECU for engine management and go with a stand alone ECU. The one I settled on had I gone H6 was the Haltech Elite 2500, it would take about an afternoon to wire up and has auto-tune capability as well as a million other desirable features. http://www.haltech.com/elite-2500-2/ It would also allow for easy upgrade to forced induction if you expand in that direction. I was considering a mild SC setup 5~7 PSI, the Haltech would easily handle managing that.
5050GRIP
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by 5050GRIP »

That is one meaty looking Baja, I like the tasteful lift.
5050GRIP
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by 5050GRIP »

I am still stumped as to why only 2000 to 2002 OBW/S are the only years to use OEM H6 swap, aren't the bodies the same to 2004?
I gave it much thought as to what I wanted, just do not have anyone around me to help in any way with cars not even mechanics or shops around.
If I am going to do a swap, I want the best drive ability for daily use. I needs that TQ! :D
That Haltek is a bit pricey eh! Over 2k for a starter loom and ECU.
Yeah I was looking up a low boost setup for the H6 after the swap goes proper, I would just change out HG and freshen up the timing guides, swap out fuel pumps with a walbro or STi. Its a hot wire Air flow so it would fare better on low psi than a Map.
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

You might be able to get away with the 750 ECU but it lacks some of the nicer features of the big one.

If you go forced induction just beware that the con rods are not ideal for making much more power, be conservative if you want reliability and are not looking at the engine as the expendable part of the system.