Stuffing a Legacy H6 in a 03 Baja, how hard can it be?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

walfredo
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Stuffing a Legacy H6 in a 03 Baja, how hard can it be?

Post by walfredo »

5050GRIP wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:52 am You need a donor vehicle, ENTIRE vehicle.
I started with a 5spd, that was the main reason behind going to auto. Yes the entire dash harness is needed, plus back half harness as well, it will need to be spliced into stock harness. Part of the air bag system will need to be removed from wiring loom, unless you want to install new air airbag ECM, seats, seats belts, and B pillar sensors. Also the braking system has to be swapped in its entirety to make use of the VDC system.

The additions to my baja has transformed it to a very comfy and more usable daily driver that is less tiring on long drives.
When I get some free time from my other hobbies, I will post up pics and document how I got mine done.
Would it just be easier to go standalone so you dont have to worry about all the additional wiring/mods to get the H6 ECM to work? I am especially turned off from the wiring/transistors needed to make the H6 ECM/transmission control to work with a manual transmission, not to mention the ABS, neutral switch and VDC system... Just wonder if standalone (like microsquirt) would be the more simplistic route to avoid all the issues
brucey
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by brucey »

5050GRIP wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:52 am You need a donor vehicle, ENTIRE vehicle.
I started with a 5spd, that was the main reason behind going to auto. Yes the entire dash harness is needed, plus back half harness as well, it will need to be spliced into stock harness. Part of the air bag system will need to be removed from wiring loom, unless you want to install new air airbag ECM, seats, seats belts, and B pillar sensors. Also the braking system has to be swapped in its entirety to make use of the VDC system.

The additions to my baja has transformed it to a very comfy and more usable daily driver that is less tiring on long drives.
When I get some free time from my other hobbies, I will post up pics and document how I got mine done.
I'm planning the same swap with my wife's Baja.

I have a VDC sedan parts vehicle and now have it stripped clean.

Did you hardwire the rear B150/151 connector for the rear harness? I believe it's the only part of the harness I'm going to have to use from the Baja.

The Sedan and Wagon go straight through to the indicator/reverse/tail/brake lights but the Baja has that 150 connector there on the passenger C pillar.

Any other advice?

I have started a thread over on SubaruOutback.org (I'm a mod there) H6 VDC Baja

As well as a youtube video (look it up there too if you want but there is less info H6 VDC Baja)

You're the only person that's seemed to have done what I plan to do, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you!
brucey
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by brucey »

OK I got it driving now.

VDC system works. Engine runs smooth and trans shifts nicely.

I have a series of videos on it if anyone runs across this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-pTgKb ... I-iOuU_ZHb

I doubt I will be back here much but if anyone has any questions I'll be on the SubaruOutback.org forum.

Thanks!