Im going to need struts

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

spazomatic
Scoobytruck Contributer

Im going to need struts

Post by spazomatic »

My '06 baja has almost 90k on it now, and i can feel that its going to need struts soon. Both fronts are seeping oil but feel okay still. The right rear is the only one that feels and sounds sloppy on big bumps. Washboard especially...
So anyways, can anybody recommend an aftermarket strut? Or is the general concensus to stick with OEM?
Thanks y'all have a great day!
bulldozer24
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Im going to need struts

Post by bulldozer24 »

Most subaru owners usually go with KYB struts. same as oem they just dont say subaru on them.
spazomatic
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by spazomatic »

Ok, cool thanks. Ive used KYB stuff on early mustang builds, and it was good stuff.
Ti Pit
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Ti Pit »

so which KYB struts are you guys using? I purchased the outback struts for the rear of my 05 Baja and they turned out to be much shorter then the Baja struts so I didn't use them.

The only thing I could find was the local dealer as all aftermarket brands seem to only offer the 03 shocks an struts but nothing for the taller 04-06.
05 Baja Turbo stick shift :D
PenguinSub
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by PenguinSub »

Ti Pit wrote:so which KYB struts are you guys using? I purchased the outback struts for the rear of my 05 Baja and they turned out to be much shorter then the Baja struts so I didn't use them.

The only thing I could find was the local dealer as all aftermarket brands seem to only offer the 03 shocks an struts but nothing for the taller 04-06.

Hey, did you ever get an answer for this? I'm curious to see what's out there for struts for us..
Ti Pit
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Ti Pit »

PenguinSub wrote:
Ti Pit wrote:so which KYB struts are you guys using? I purchased the outback struts for the rear of my 05 Baja and they turned out to be much shorter then the Baja struts so I didn't use them.

Hey, did you ever get an answer for this? I'm curious to see what's out there for struts for us..
Not Yet, I'm still looking but honestly I think I'm gonna get the Subaru OEM struts which seem like to only True option to date.
05 Baja Turbo stick shift :D
spazomatic
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by spazomatic »

Im finally to the point that im going to change my struts, and i cant find a complete set. Even on KYBs site, i can only find the fronts (or was it the rears?) but nobody lists a complete set.

So what the hell? Who here has already replaced theirs?
hocrest
Scoobytruck Master

Post by hocrest »

I replaced the rears on my 03 with 05 struts and springs. These are the parts I ordered from Subaru;
2 ea - rear spring - 20380AE50A
2 ea - rear shock - 20365AE22A
spazomatic
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by spazomatic »

Over $600 later, and i got my struts from Heuberger on saturday. Got the two rears done yesterday. Wasnt too tough...pulling the interior panels and getting them back in was probably the hardest part of the whole thing.
It drives so much better! The fronts still feel fine, i think ill wait to install the new ones
tajon
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by tajon »

I just replaced mine with Gabrielle shocks from Autozone. Now I have a loose clunking/rattling noise to figure out. Don't think I'd recommend them.

Well it turns out I'm a moron. Problem solved. ride seems to be about the same as with the stock shocks.
5050GRIP
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by 5050GRIP »

ride seems to be about the same as with the stock shocks.
What do you mean?
I am only understanding that it rides like it did just before you chnged the shocks, which is like how worn out shocks feel.