Head gasket leak...repair or trade in?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

AirplaneTim
Scoobytruck Lurker

Head gasket leak...repair or trade in?

Post by AirplaneTim »

So my dealer tells me that my '05 with 140k miles on it has a head gasket leak with a severity of about 3 out of 10. Getting the dealer to replace the head gasket is about $2,400 or so, and I haven't really found a private shop in the area that I really trust to do something this major. Question is if it's worth getting the repair done. If this is going on me, would I expect to see a lot of other things start going on me, or is it a normal thing to see? I don't want to pay some big money for a repair just to set myself up for a bunch more repairs over the next couple of years, or is it the case where if I get it fixed, I can probably expect another 4 or 5 mostly low issue years?
hocrest
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Head gasket leak...repair or trade in?

Post by hocrest »

Get it done before it's leaking bad and you should be worry free for a while. Unless it's been done recently, get the cam belt, water pump and other seals done and your engine shouldn't need anything other than oil for 100,000 miles.

Where are you, there are good shops who can do it for less than the dealer.
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mikenmel08 »

By cam belt I believe he is referring to the timing belt, and I agree. I would do the cam seals and water pump at the same time and be done with it. If your engine is non turbo they can do that job without pulling the motor ( I have done it many many times ) do their price might be a little high. I would ask around about a reputable shop and get another estimate. Good luck
Subaru nutt 199
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Subaru nutt 199 »

Get it done and do the other things the other 2guys said and you should be good for a long while with only normal maintenance needed. Try to find someone who has had the expend eon working on subarus who is not the dealer