How to change air filter?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

VTBaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

How to change air filter?

Post by VTBaja »

Hello everyone,

I just drove from VT to CO in my 03 and am now looking to change the engine air filter popped the hood but seem to be having a brain cramp on how to access the air filter I see the three clips but then what?

thanks
mike
Ahzlon
Scoobytruck Master

Re: How to change air filter?

Post by Ahzlon »

pop the 3 clips then you should be able to push the back side of the filter box back and slide the filter up and out. If you have the one that is next to the passanger side undo the clips, pull the tube off the right side and lift up the clip side a little then push it towards the engine a bit. Should pop off and then you filter
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Post by canuck37 »

Ahzlon wrote:pop the 3 clips then you should be able to push the back side of the filter box back and slide the filter up and out. If you have the one that is next to the passanger side undo the clips, pull the tube off the right side and lift up the clip side a little then push it towards the engine a bit. Should pop off and then you filter

On my 03 there is also a retaining screw just to the right driver's side, on top of a small "Post", that has to be removed as well, to completely remove the filter housing......took me awhile to figure that one out also! Went to a K&N after that, much simpler.....
Ahzlon
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Ahzlon »

canuck37 wrote:
Ahzlon wrote:pop the 3 clips then you should be able to push the back side of the filter box back and slide the filter up and out. If you have the one that is next to the passanger side undo the clips, pull the tube off the right side and lift up the clip side a little then push it towards the engine a bit. Should pop off and then you filter

On my 03 there is also a retaining screw just to the right driver's side, on top of a small "Post", that has to be removed as well, to completely remove the filter housing......took me awhile to figure that one out also! Went to a K&N after that, much simpler.....

OHH.. forgot about that one... haven't had a N/A Subaru for about 8 years. :P