Cloudy Headlight Lenses

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

KC-BAJA
Scoobytruck Lurker

Cloudy Headlight Lenses

Post by KC-BAJA »

I know this has been discussed a little before but does anyone know what causes this?

I've heard both pros and cons on the polishing kits working and keeping the lenses clear.

After using one of these polishing kits, would a sealant or perhaps a vinyl overlay like Lamine-x keep it from happening again?

Thanks
David
theluckyone17
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Cloudy Headlight Lenses

Post by theluckyone17 »

I've never used a kit, but I've polished them up a couple of times. I usually remove the assemblies from the car, since I can move it inside and watch/listen to something else while I'm polishing. If I remember right, I start out with wet/dry 1000 grit sandpaper, and move my way up to about 2500 or 3000. Takes a bit of elbow grease, but it's typical sanding; more effort, less brain. Just make sure you sand properly.

Then I use an old sock and discount mint toothpaste (I like the smell) for the final polishing. I might spend a half hour to an hour on each side, total.

Then they get a couple of coats of UV resistant clear top coat spray paint. That helps keep them clear.
Onyx: 2006 Baja Sport
spazomatic
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by spazomatic »

They definitely should be sealed with a UV blocker to keep them looking good.
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

The headlight polishing kits come with a sealer/protectant product.
LrgLnrd
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by LrgLnrd »

Hey Im not sure where you are located but I work at Monro Muffler in Pittsburgh and we just recently got a headlight restore kit which is absolutely amazing. My headlights were really foggy and after using the kit they look brand new now.
Our kit uses a 600 grit to 2000 grit wet sand then a drier agent and after that we have a sealant that must cure under a uv light.
My brother has used different kits from auto part places on his 02 wrx wagon and none of them can compare to how my lights look.
The only downside is that its a little pricey to have the shop do it but completely worth it...if the tech does it properly.
Hope this helps,
Greg
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

I used the 3m kit and it worked amazingly. my headlights were yellow and cloudy before I did it. However, 1 year later they are starting to cloud up just a little. So this might be a bi-yearly process...
Attachments
IMG_2009.JPG
IMG_2009.JPG (237.75 KiB) Viewed 11168 times
Abe
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Abe »

I use the mcguire kit for twenty bucks. I still have the same kit which lasted three years. I use the buffer wheel on my half inch drill about twice a year without any residue. I notice the coating some folks use after polishing turns yellow or cracks after a while.
SPORT Abe
2005 Baja Turbo
Arizona
Takaaco
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Takaaco »

used the $10 Turtle Wax kit from Dollar General

"When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else." Mark Twain
5050GRIP
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by 5050GRIP »

Sand it like luckyone mentioned all the way up to 3000 grit, then clear coat it and then polish, this should theoretically stay clear as long as the paint on the car.
speedwaygirl
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by speedwaygirl »

Did the kit with my last Baja and it only lasted through the winter. This spring when I do it, I'll be sure to seal it right away!
2006 OBP Baja Turbo 5MT
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

So the 3m kit lasted for about a year. This time I did it again and tried adding a thick vinyl coating. (they sell it specifically for the lights) and it was pricey, but they've been doing great and they've never been easier to clean! It's been about 4 months since I last did them.
Zombaja
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Zombaja »

I don't have my before and after photos but I used one of those Meguire's kits that came with a drill attachment, sandpaper and polishing compound.

worked excellent. I haven't gotten the cover yet to keep them from getting gross again.
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

That sounds similar to the 3m kit. I know new headlights run about $75, but I figure they're going to end up yellowing too. So I got the weathertech lampguard film. It ran about $50 but came with protection for the fog lights too. This pic was just taken recently and I did the restoration mid-summer. They're sooo clear!

hallway
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by hallway »

Just buy a Megs Heavy duty headlight restoration kit. And just followed the step.
RylandBrooks
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by RylandBrooks »

Wet sanding and then clear coating (with a UV resistant clear coat) will always give the best and most long lasting results. It is the clear coat at the end of the day that will prevent the yellowing or oxidation of the headlights. Don't get me wrong, the kits work, but most don't guarantee long lasting results (usually because the company selling the kits want you to purchase them again)

Here is a link to the best headlight restoration method I have seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEJbKLZ7RmM