Air compressor not working?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

beancountertx
Scoobytruck Contributer

Air compressor not working?

Post by beancountertx »

While replacing a belt in my 2005 Baja Turbo I was told by shop that my compressor was not turing on? I noticed that my AC was not cooling a week ago. They said "it could be a number of reasons why the compressor was not turing on". Any suggestions as to where to start? I had AC freon added last summer and although the air was not very cold, and I had to turn the dial to max to get some bearable cool air blowing, at least it was working.
You must be the change you want to see in the world.-Gandhi
theluckyone17
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Air compressor not working?

Post by theluckyone17 »

Someone else feel free to chime in if I'm mistaken, but doesn't the compressor shut off if the pressure drops below a certain level? I'd check that first.
Onyx: 2006 Baja Sport
beancountertx
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by beancountertx »

theluckyone17 wrote:Someone else feel free to chime in if I'm mistaken, but doesn't the compressor shut off if the pressure drops below a certain level? I'd check that first.
Thanks for the suggestion. Should this be a pressure issue then how would i repair it?
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

It sounds like you have a leak. The compressor will not turn on if the pressure drops due to the refrigerant leaking out. The shop should be able to find the leak.

I had one of the A/C lines crack at the metal crimp and know of a few others that have cracked in the same place. Might be a place to start. A shop can either use a R134A sniffer or they can put a UV dye in the system to find the leak.
theluckyone17
Scoobytruck Master

Post by theluckyone17 »

I'm no A/C guy... I only know the above since I diagnosed an A/C compressor that wouldn't start in my old '97 OBW. I never pursued it, since I didn't need A/C that badly.

I'd imagine that you'd need to check the system for leaks. There is refrigerant available with dye added, which I believe shows up under UV light, leading to where the leak is. You're not supposed to recharge a system that's got a known leak, though... not sure how that works out :?.

A/C is one of those few things that I'd take to a shop. If it's been fully discharged, air may have been introduced to the system, which means the A/C system should be evacuated and recharged.
beancountertx
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by beancountertx »

Thanks Hawk296 and theluckyone17 for your input.
beancountertx
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Air compressor not working? *UPDATE*

Post by beancountertx »

So I took the Baja to shop and dye was added and freon was added as well. Repair guy found a leak in an O ring and fixed the problem. YAY. It now blows cold air at lowest setting :D
theluckyone17
Scoobytruck Master

Post by theluckyone17 »

Good to hear good news 8)