struts again (2nd try)

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

dfritz
Scoobytruck Lurker

struts again (2nd try)

Post by dfritz »

Because of the limited availability of upgrading struts intended for Bajas (only OEM types seem available), do any Legacy or Outback suspensions have identical parts/interchangeability?
kman.45
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: struts again (2nd try)

Post by kman.45 »

sorry, no help here, but my guess is your local Subaru dealer parts desk or mechanic should be able to answer that? I would think a dealer could at least tell you if the Baja and Outback or Legacy have the same part number struts? Hell, I guess you could look at a number of the parts websites to see if they are same part numbers, that would be first clue. Although they could very well be exact same size but different damping qualities. Although not at all related my 2006 Baja is much stiffer than my new 2011 Outback, so not sure if that would be similar comparison to 2006 Outback (the Outback and Legacy generally being softer than the Baja).
PenguinSub
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by PenguinSub »

Have any of you guys found any new information on this?
martin_montreal
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by martin_montreal »

I wish. Monroe, possibly Gabriel make some but I am not sold on the concept. Still trying to figure out why the after-market KYB GR-2 for 2003's are not supported - I suspect they are not long enough ... which Bilsteins could work - can't use coilovers in the cold and don't want to spend so much - mostly want to fix the back end tilt and swivel for a reasonable cost - sway bar, end links and decent shocks... ideas and more info welcome.
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo manual - Goodyear Triple Treads, Whiteline Swaybar, Sold! bought in 2011 with 30,000 Miles sold with 75,000 in July 2016
2003 Subaru Baja non turbo manual with 145k KM- just got it and sorting out the issues..
martin_montreal
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by martin_montreal »

So my summary on this stuff is as follows: KYB only support the GR-2 after-market shocks for the 2003 Baja which are supposed to be 10% stiffer according to their tech guy. My Baja has 35,000 miles so the shocks are still good just too soft for me. Subaru i.d. the OEMs with two separate part numbers #20365AE22A for 2004-'06 and ...15A for the '03 (rears). The fronts have unique part numbers for 2003 and 2004-'06 as well 04-06: L: 20310AE45A Rt:44A; 2003L/R: ...43A/42A. What is confusing is that Monroe and Gabriel have the Same part numbers for 2003 to 2006 Bajas. My gut feeling is that I will not like the Monroes. I have never tried Gabriels which are rare and double the price of these two other options so I am leaning towards KYB GR-2's NOT OEM KYB's. I don't know and have been unable to find the difference in strut length between the 2004-'06 and 03 but would like to. My objective is to change the rears for something stiffer before deciding whether the fronts need any change. The rear swaybar upgrade to Whiteline's was great. Nobody has any idea about anything in this area which I don't get. There should be at least 15,000 04 to 06 Bajas out there most with many more miles than mine. Are they all going back to OEM or coilovers with no one putting anything in between on these cars? The Gabriel tech told me that the 06 ride height is 17 3/8'' vs 16.58 for the 2003 or about 3/4 inches. He says that 1/2'' tolerance is supposed to be okay so for the ~1/4'' of unacceptable extra spring compression, maybe I risk it and throw the 2003 spec'd KYB's, Gabriels or Monroes on there? If so, now the question is which would be best. If the height changes or the fronts end up needing to be matched, then I would go ahead and do so after this Phase I upgrade.... Ideas welcome. Doing the rear only should mean no alignment right? The car was aligned when I got the Goodyear Triple Treads on there but that is an unecessary other story... ;-).

For the record the Whiteline Swaybar I installed in the Rear increasing the thickness from .63'' IMPROVED the cornering to my liking. I did not change the endlinks so we'll see if they break. The front stock swaybar at .83" seems adequate for my use and I suspect the front struts will be okay too. It's just the bouncing around in the back that I do not like.... and I haven't even tried to put anything heavy back there yet like a motorcycle... ;0/
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo manual - Goodyear Triple Treads, Whiteline Swaybar, Sold! bought in 2011 with 30,000 Miles sold with 75,000 in July 2016
2003 Subaru Baja non turbo manual with 145k KM- just got it and sorting out the issues..
dfritz
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by dfritz »

Well, I was surprised at all this discussion, because the forum didn't email me any of the posts. On Amazon, KYB GR2's are #33448, and 33447 for 2005 baja turbos left and right fronts, and the rear part # is 341276.

On Tire Rack, if searching the 04 outback wagon, the same numbers come up.

not a lot of choices here, Monroe, or KYB, with Gabriels available for the rear.

Once I'm sure they will fit, I'm going with the KYBs. Note, if you go to the KYB website, no struts are listed for the 05.
X20
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by X20 »

I just got my rear struts installed today. Just to help with the info, my car is a 2005 and the only options were the Monroe or OEM. I stuck with the OEM since they lasted me 93k miles before the rear right one started leaking. They cost $129.95 a piece at the subie dealer. Man, what a difference a set of new struts make ! I'm a happy boy.
PenguinSub
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by PenguinSub »

So kind of veering off course (slightly) here, but If I want to extend the length of my strut (for lifting purposes), which struts should be considered?
Emsanon
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Emsanon »

I just talked about something similar with a local modification company who have been doing most of the work on my Baja. They said they can lift my vehicle about 2" without affecting the CV joints. They're keeping the stock struts but adding an additional plate to the base that connects to your car and adding some metal tubing in between the stock and new plate. The tubing they use is the type for roll over cages so it's pretty tough. The new plate will be thick so will be able to withstand quite a bit of abuse. So, the stock struts will still be easy to get to and replace if they ever fail while still getting the 2" lift to my car.