Changing spark plugs on 05 turbo... tips anyone?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

baja_burrito
Scoobytruck Lurker

Changing spark plugs on 05 turbo... tips anyone?

Post by baja_burrito »

I was under the car last night and managed to change one of the plugs, but never did get to the others. After getting impatient with it, I left it with one new plug.

From the looks of it, that motor must be lifted a few inches to get the other 3 out.

Pointers anyone?

Any help is much appreciated!
Buck Rogers
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Changing spark plugs on 05 turbo... tips anyone?

Post by Buck Rogers »

From what Ive heard, the Turbos are a bitch, but you should be able to change them using a universal , short extension and some patience. My 05 N/A has a 2: body lift, which sets the engine lower in the bay. This makes all but the passenger side front plug a little tight [smilie=damn.gif]

Buck
baja_burrito
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by baja_burrito »

I couldn't even get the plug wire out of the other three cylinders... It doesn't seem like there is enough room between the frame and the head to maneuver it out.
Buck Rogers
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Buck Rogers »

Try checking out this link. It may help, and it is all I have to offer.

Buck

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... Baja+Turbo
baja_burrito
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by baja_burrito »

Thanks for trying. I'm hoping to run across someone who has changed their plugs and could give pointers... those guys don't sound like they have either.

I cross posted this in NASIOC, so we shall see.
Kamikaze
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Kamikaze »

What about pulling the wheels off and the inner fender wells out? Would that allow you access to the plugs?

One of my cylinders isn't firing so I think I'll try it out and let you guys know what I find.
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

No, unfortunately, it won't, Kamikaze. The issue is that the plugs are directly behind the frame rails.

Since starting that thread at NABISCO, I've changed the plugs on my '05 turbo twice. The first time was noticeably frustrating, but the most recent time was not bad at all. Just not very fast.

The local Subaru dealer here wants a fortune to do the job, and claims you have to jack up the engine a couple inches, but you don't. I think there's a good thread on this forum; have you searched for it here? Anyway, what I think (or remember, at least! :lol: ) makes things the easiest is:

Remove battery,
Remove washer fluid tank,
Remove airbox (the thing with the air filter in it),
Remove plastic belly pan. --> This is completely optional, but I think it makes things easier if you drop something. You won't be removing anything from the bottom, though, so don't remove it if you don't want to.

Now you just need the spark plug wrench (that's the 5/8" deep-well socket with the rubber grommet/washer-thingy inside it), a short extension, sockets for the coil packs and the stuff above that you're getting out of the way, and of course the ratchet handle. Getting the coil packs on and off is a bit of a challenge on a couple of them. The key is to rotate them into exactly the magic position so that they'll come out. REMEMBER WHAT POSITION THAT IS, so that you can get them back in as easily. :wink:

It's not actually all that terrible a job once you do it once, but it is fairly slow because of all the stuff that has to come off, and the tight quarters. Good luck!
Ahzlon
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Ahzlon »

Eeesh. sounds like alot to just change the plugs. Easiest way I found was to get a spark plug socket with a short 3" extension on it. put that down into the head first and line up the socket with the plug. Then add on the ratchet. Use the ratchet to loosen the plug up then Rotate the rest of the way out using your fingers on the 3" extension. The plug should stay in the special socket. Only things I have ever removed when doing the plugs is the washer bottle and airbox. I even did this in a poorly lit parking lot with a flashlight when my wifes WRX started misfiring on her way home. Only extra tool that i could see would help is one of those skinny adapters that gives you a little more grip on the extension which you grip with your fingers. Kinda looks like a really wide washer with a socket adapter on the end. HOpe this helps ya
moonzie
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by moonzie »

Yes, it can be done without jacking the motor - no need to remove wheels, etc.. It takes me about 2 hours to do all 4 plugs. +1 to bulwnkl's post.

Removing the coilpack is probably the trickiest part - unplug and unbolt the pack and rotate it a few times until you figure out what position it takes to remove it - it can be done.

You'll need the following tools:
I think it's a 10mm socket it takes to remove the coilpack bolt.
3/8 drive ratchet
1 3/8 drive 3" extension
1 5/8" sparkplug plug socket
1 3/8 universal joint
1 6"+ drive extension.

The last two tools just makes it easier. Really the whole thing can be done without ujoint and extra extension.
Kamikaze
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Kamikaze »

Hey guys thanks for all the reply's, I've been too busy to work on it the last few days but I'll be in the garage trying this out later today!