In need of a Spare Tire "Donut" for a 06 baja turbo

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

RickBaja06
Scoobytruck Contributer

In need of a Spare Tire "Donut" for a 06 baja turbo

Post by RickBaja06 »

My 06 Baja Turbo Spare is starting to dry rot and I have been told by me Subaru Dealer that they no longer carry that spare tire as it is an odd size. I need options and suggestions on where I can find a new spare. Salvage yards are quoting $100.00.

Thanks
Rick
andylyco
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: In need of a Spare Tire "Donut" for a 06 baja turbo

Post by andylyco »

Our '04 spare was used for the 1st time last weekend, and it was barely usable. There is a rubber crack the whole way around the sidewall. Size is: T145/80 16.
I checked with my local discount tire store, and they say they can't get them; it is dealer only. They also contacted Tire Rack who said they don't carry them either. I'm either getting a new spare from junkyard ($100 is quite high) or finding a 5x100 16" wheel/tire that will fit and storing it in the bed.
'04 Baja T 5MT, '09 Sportwagen TDI, '93 Corrado
RickBaja06
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by RickBaja06 »

If you manage to get one from the dealer, please let me know as my dealer was of no use to me. They clearly stated that they no longer are able to get that spare tire.
YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by YBajaSteve »

if you guys dont end up figuring out a spare tire dealer, I would suggest going on some of the local Impreza forums like NASIOC, and buying a used set a WRX wheels, Ive seen full sets with old tires included, going for $200, and sometimes they sell them seperatly, itd probably be the cheapest way to get a rim and tire that would fit, and it would make a good spare. just a thought....
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Post by canuck37 »

YBajaSteve wrote:if you guys dont end up figuring out a spare tire dealer, I would suggest going on some of the local Impreza forums like NASIOC, and buying a used set a WRX wheels, Ive seen full sets with old tires included, going for $200, and sometimes they sell them seperatly, itd probably be the cheapest way to get a rim and tire that would fit, and it would make a good spare. just a thought....

Quite awhile back now a number of us on one of these forums were thinking about using full size rims as spares. As I recall, there is an issue with fit, as they tend to hang down a lot lower (I tried it on mine and you can see the tire even below the trailer hitch - must be almost 5" lower than original spare. So, there is that clearance issue, which could be a big one for some folks. Also, I believe someone advised that the lowering/raising mechanism was not rated to support the weight of a full size spare, so you run the risk of the cable failing and tire falling off, etc.......could be a liability in case it caused an accident.

Bottom line was, for myself, I decided to stick with the original setup for now, until I fall across a suitable used rim for dirt cheap/free and then would carry it either on my roof rack or in the bed on long trips.

Just my $0.02 worth.......
YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by YBajaSteve »

yeah i wasnt really thinking of them putting in the factory location, i agree, that probably wouldnt be safe, but my suggestion was merely an idea where they could get their hands on a cheap spare if all else fails. I would LOVE to have a Full size spare, id totally throw it in my roof basket. :o
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
Zooom
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Zooom »

I am currently using my spare for the 1st time (damn thing still had the molding nipples on it) and it was extremely low at the time ( luckily I was at home, so I pumped it up with the air compressor while the car was still raised up) and I think people checking it more often might help in regards to longevity.....either way, I am liking the idea of getting a lightweight aluminum spare rim with a tire to split the difference between a stocker and a spare (cause the tire is going to weigh the same no matter what) and I just don't like the feel and the general idea of a donut. Perhaps maybe even a 17 or 18 inch lightweight rim with a low profile tire to equal the same diameter and lessen the overall weight and still have something more confidence inspiring than a spare donut.

but I think I read it here a long time ago about the cable mechanism and ground clearance issues with a full size generally speaking, hence why I am slightly skeptical about the weight thing, but willing to concede some level of issue in regards to it, but the clearance thing isn't an issue for me.
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

I'm feeling really blessed here. Like most, my spare held air, but was cracked. The rim was also pretty rusty (just ugly). I just returned from the boneyard where they are having a 40% off sale. I wanted to pick up some odds and ends (left inner timing cover without rusted screws, etc.). In the back of an 03 Outback, I found a never used spare the exact same size. Because it has been in the "trunk" all it's life, it isn't aged at all. Rim is "new" as well. :D Dennis
BajaTim
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaTim »

ZUBAJA wrote:I'm feeling really blessed here. Like most, my spare held air, but was cracked. The rim was also pretty rusty (just ugly). I just returned from the boneyard where they are having a 40% off sale. I wanted to pick up some odds and ends (left inner timing cover without rusted screws, etc.). In the back of an 03 Outback, I found a never used spare the exact same size. Because it has been in the "trunk" all it's life, it isn't aged at all. Rim is "new" as well. :D Dennis
I removed mine completely and just keep Slime and air pump (off lighter) in rear seat panelling (with fire extinguisher - fits snug)...have not had single flat since 2000 (4 subys, 2 MINIs) - had one slow leak - always buy Sumitomo, Falken, Kumho and Michelin X-Ice, Blizzaks in winter never more than $80/tire...not going to change tire by side of road...esp. in winter...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Re: In need of a Spare Tire

Post by ZUBAJA »

BajaTim wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:34 pm
I removed mine completely and just keep Slime and air pump (off lighter) in rear seat panelling (with fire extinguisher - fits snug)Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pleas elaborate (picture?). I'm trying to figure out how / where to mount a fire extinguisher. Lack of a fire extinguisher is what cost me my last truck. A beat up sweat shirt is no match for a fuel rail leak and fire (even with engine shut off)
0324181704 burning love.jpg
0324181704 burning love.jpg (840.57 KiB) Viewed 13226 times
Dennis
BajaTim
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaTim »

ZUBAJA wrote:
I removed mine completely and just keep Slime and air pump (off lighter) in rear seat panelling (with fire extinguisher - fits snug)Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pleas elaborate (picture?). I'm trying to figure out how / where to mount a fire extinguisher. Lack of a fire extinguisher is what cost me my last truck. A beat up sweat shirt is no match for a fuel rail leak and fire (even with engine shut off)
0324181704 burning love.jpg
Dennis
Wow!

Rear seats: if you pull rear seats down “flat” two plastic side “compartments” are exposed - they are attached with clips. So unclip plastic and there is room to put a small auto extinguisher on one side and Slime and air pump on the other. You could use a cloth to surround and pack to stop them banging around if necessary. I have pics somewhere I’ll try and post later tonite.

kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Re: In need of a Spare Tire

Post by kamesama980 »

BajaTim wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:37 pm
ZUBAJA wrote:
Pleas elaborate (picture?). I'm trying to figure out how / where to mount a fire extinguisher. Lack of a fire extinguisher is what cost me my last truck. A beat up sweat shirt is no match for a fuel rail leak and fire (even with engine shut off)0324181704 burning love.jpg Dennis
Wow!

Rear seats: if you pull rear seats down “flat” two plastic side “compartments” are exposed - they are attached with clips. So unclip plastic and there is room to put a small auto extinguisher on one side and Slime and air pump on the other. You could use a cloth to surround and pack to stop them banging around if necessary. I have pics somewhere I’ll try and post later tonite.

Keep in mind the more buried the extinguisher is the longer it'll take to get to. Packed away behind the seat means you better not have anything in the seat when you need it.

slime and a pump only works on a slow leak.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

I'm actually leaning towards something that will fit in one of the rear drink holders. Dennis
w.rohr
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by w.rohr »

Get a halitron extinguisher, trust me you do not want to replace all the wiring or electronics in your car. I used an abc on my outback when I had a fuel leak and even though I put it out in less the thirty seconds the chemical from the abc destroyed the electrical. BC are much more expensive but you don't want to cheap out on safety. Plus, a 2.5lb will fit nicely in front of the passenger seat.
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

ZUBAJA wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:34 pm I'm actually leaning towards something that will fit in one of the rear drink holders. Dennis
an extinguisher small enough to fit in the drink holder may be big enough to put out a bic lighter...
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back