Tires. We all need em - Heres the Thread for em .

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Snorkeled
Scoobytruck Master

My New Snow Tires !

Post by Snorkeled »

Here is my new BLIZZAK tires !! They handel REALLY GOOD on ICE and SNOW !!

specs- - - Bridgestone Blizzak WS60....... 225/60R16... 98R

P0604-WS60Z
Attachments
NEW TIRE
NEW TIRE
funny pics 108.jpg (185.86 KiB) Viewed 22724 times
OLD TIRE
OLD TIRE
funny pics 109.jpg (169.26 KiB) Viewed 22723 times
COMPARE
COMPARE
funny pics 107.jpg (204.46 KiB) Viewed 22724 times
Snorkeled
Scoobytruck Master

Re: My New Snow Tires !

Post by Snorkeled »

Just some fun in the snow !
Attachments
funny pics 105.jpg
funny pics 105.jpg (252.13 KiB) Viewed 22720 times
Alpha Wolf
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Replacement Tires

Post by Alpha Wolf »

Well here I was doing all this research into options for our Baja and my wife goes out and has tires installed without any feed back from me!

Well they seem okay.

Big O Euro Tour V rated tires

She totally vetoed any really aggressive treads as she cannot deal with tire noise at all.

I will take some pictures and post some feed back once I have had a chance to drive it a while.

Well I pushed them through some tight hard twisties and they held great and made no squeal noise at all.
Turbo
Emsanon
Scoobytruck Master

Re: My New Snow Tires !

Post by Emsanon »

Nice! :mrgreen:

I'll have to look into some nice snow tires as well. Usually we get around 4-5 inches but for some reason we got dumped on and ended up with 16 inches of snow. HAHAHA! Odd. I did get stuck a couple of times with the Baja but the little truck was able to get out under its own power both times! It just took a bit of rocking and a little time and patience. I also just had all weather tires but even with the crazy snow, the Baja really does wonders. It was out driving SUV's and pickup trucks from what I saw in my area. My sister's SUV slid off her driveway, my other sisters SUV got stuck in our driveway and we had to dig it out, my brother in law's truck really got stuck and took a looong time to get it out of the driveway and the Baja struggled a bit but made it out without external help. Wooo!
crackhead
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by crackhead »

Try painting the bedroom a color YOU want without consulting her and see what she does!
Seth in Asheville, NC
Alpha Wolf
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Alpha Wolf »

crackhead wrote:Try painting the bedroom a color YOU want without consulting her and see what she does!

Ah ... No...

I have not survived 24 years of marriage by poking the Tiger with a stick.. LMAO...

Well it is her car so I only get to advise...

I am planning to snip the DRLs though. That will get me in trouble I think...

I wanted either a more aggressive tread or a racier tire.

Oh well these seem to be working out well. I have had good luck with Big O on my previous full size truck. Got a flat (nail) on one after a year, drove it in to the shop in that town (on vacation) and they stayed open after closing time and replaced the tire for a new one free and were very friendly about it.
Attachments
Big O Euro tire
Big O Euro tire
Big O.jpg (78.71 KiB) Viewed 22702 times
Last edited by Alpha Wolf on Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turbo
motojak
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by motojak »

Just bought some general grabbers yesterday and hopefully they'll be in on Friday. Will post some pics and tell ya'll what I think about 'em when I put them on. Got 'em on TireRack for 450 after 2 day shipping costs. Didn't want to pay the premium for 2 day but you can only drive around on the spare for so long.
GR82B4E
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by GR82B4E »

I switched to the General Grabber AT2s about a month ago and I am extremely pleased. They hold up well in the snow, sleet, ice and contrary to what I expected, there is a very little noticable difference in road noise when driving on the highway. I get a slight shake at about 70mph, which is normal with any offroad/all-terrain tire. I'm debating on keeping them mounted for a trans-canadian roadtrip this summer. I wish it were possible to bring 2 sets of tires! :shock:
'03 Baja (auto)
Thule M.O.A.B roof rack
Carr Light Wing
Hella 500FF 50watt Driving Lights
General Grabber AT2s
A.R.E Truck Cap
Alpha Wolf
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Tires--can you recommend replacement tires?

Post by Alpha Wolf »

We just replaced our stock Bridgestones with Big O Euro Tour 225/60R16/STD 98 V BLK

More street oriented than most use on their bajas.

Quiet tire.
Good grip Dry, no squealing.

I have not been able to test them in wet, dirt, mud or snow.
Attachments
Big O.jpg
Big O.jpg (78.71 KiB) Viewed 22780 times
Turbo
Caaron
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Caaron »

I ended up getting the Continental Conti Extreme Contact, which I've used on my other vehicles. Good tires, excellent in snow and rain, and relatively inexpensive...

Chuck
BooBoo
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by BooBoo »

I still haven't decided yet. The General's are a little less expensive and have the best hydroplaning and wet traction rating, but the Conti's are better in light snow. It's still a toss up for me.
Sixtwo
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Sixtwo »

I don't know about traction in light snow ('cuz we hardly get any rain around here, let alone snow), but I'm pretty happy with my Toyo Tourevos from Les Schwab...they were kind of expensive though...
bajarulz
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by bajarulz »

I just put BFG Tractions T/A "VR" rated tires on my Baja. Just happened to be on Tire Rack one day and they had them listed as Closeouts at $60.00/tire so I bought them. They were cheaper than the "H" rated tire. I've had no problems with them as of yet. My wife has an 05 Volvo S60 AWD and I just put Good Year Triple Tread Assurance Tires on her car. They were $118/tire on Discounttiredirect.com. I love em. If I still love them after I burn my Traction T/A's off of my baja, I'll definitely throw on the Triple Treads Next.
YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by YBajaSteve »

I just got these and love them!!!! Look great too!!

Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
the slug
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by the slug »

It really depends on what you do with your Baja, some people want lower and faster more like a car. Others of us are going bigger for off-road improvement.

I got about 78,000 miles out of the factory tires and replaced them with the General Grabbers. They look really good with an aggressive off-road bite. I have noticed that due to the larger diameter, my speedometer is now off by 1-2 MPH and I have taken a noticible hit on my mileage. Still, I get better mileage than just about other crew cab 4 Wheel Drive or All Wheel Drive out there.