Fog Lights on whenever I want?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Fog Lights on whenever I want?

Post by YBajaSteve »

Has anyone made thier fog lights run whenever they want, including high beams and running lights? Ive read thru a ton at scoobymod and some legacy forums, but their either for the newer Legacy's or the 90's ones. I cant find anything on our style... Anyone?
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
Bill Bourne
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Fog Lights on whenever I want?

Post by Bill Bourne »

Yes. I did mine by replacing the relay in the relay panel under the hood.

Two relays in parallel, one to replace the standard one and one to operate when I turn a switch.

Depending on where you get power for the second relay you can turn on fogs whenever you want.

The original switch on the dash still works normally when the new relay is switched off.
2005 Sport, Atlantic Blue Pearl, A/T
YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by YBajaSteve »

Can you elaborate on that at all? Im pretty decent with wiring and stuff, but im just learning relays. I have the jist on how they work, but i wouldnt know where to buy or what to buy. And are you saying you basically added one relay in between the stock switch and another relay, with that center relay having power all the time. and that would give you fully independant fog lights? you didnt have to add another switch at all did you? Thanks!

N2Subies
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
Bill Bourne
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Bill Bourne »

Kind of hard to explain. I did add a separate switch for my second relay.

The main load carrying(secondary) terminals of of both relays are tied together in parallel and are connected via wires to the original relay contacts in the breaker box under the hood. My two replacement relays are mounted outside the breaker box because they are much larger than the original mini ones.

The activation terminals(primary) on one relay are connected via wires to the corresponding contacts in the breaker box.

The activation terminals on the second relay are a little different. One is connected to ground and the other connected via a wire running through the firewall through the new switch to a jumper on one of the fuses in the block behind the coin drawer in the dash.
Depending on which fuse you tie into you have the fogs come on whenever you want. The fuse I picked allows them to come on when the parking lights, headlights, high beams are on.

By the way I deactivated my DLR's.

Send me your e-mail address and I can send you some pictures.
wjb1529@comcast.net
gifters
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by gifters »

Does anyone have instructions on how to do this with an '03 and only have the one factory switch?

Thanks in advance!
Bill Bourne
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Bill Bourne »

You have to supply the second switch. Some states are picky aboout when you can have the fogs activated. I mounted mine inside the coin holder.
medtec
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by medtec »

Maybe someone has an answer. I searched to no avail. Two different models and years. First one, I have an 06 Baja and originally had the roof lights triggered by my parking lights. I found it to be a pain having to click my high beams off and a toggle for the roof lights.

I then rewired to trigger with my high beams so I don't blind on-comming traffic on the dirt back roads I travel sometimes. No problem, I looked at the schematics I had in my Chiltons. I ran off a wire from my DLR module. Works great.

Next, I mounted my old light bar to my wife's 2000 Outback and looking at the wiring in the book and under the dash it should work. Now I will mention that when disabling the DLR the Baja required I unplug the module, cut a wire and and plug it back in for my headlights to even work. With the Outback all I had to do was unplug the DLR, lights worked with it unplugged.

So I tried wiring the lights and I have been unable to locate a highbeam trigger.
Now with all that said, It apears that the system is ground fired like a Dodge.
Never heard of any Subie being ground fired. I have been successful at killing the battery trying to locate a feed wire.
Can anyone help!!!
KevinBlow
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by KevinBlow »

Any new info. on how to do this ? :?: