ipod connection?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

corgimas
Scoobytruck Contributer

ipod connection?

Post by corgimas »

i am looking to add a jack for my ipod in my 2006 5spd.....
i have the standard radio without the changer...
can i do a hardwired rf connection?
anyone???
anyone have a picture of the back of the radio???could not find a good one anywhere....
thanks
rob
Kites Kayaks & Corgis
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Re: ipod connection?

Post by bulwnkl »

If by 'hardwired rf connection' you mean one of those adapters that plugs into the antenna wire in-line, then sure, why not?
corgimas
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by corgimas »

that was what i was wondering...but is there an option to plug an av jack right into the back??

i guess it might go where the cd changer hookup went? not exactly certain about this...
thanks
r
Kites Kayaks & Corgis
kidjoe
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by kidjoe »

http://sites.google.com/site/leptronix/

Try this guy.....looks really interesting.
Sabber
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Sabber »

except for the $105 he wants for it you can get an aftermarket stereo with an aux. input in it from crutchfield.
BajaCanuck
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by BajaCanuck »

Just wondering... why not replace the radio? I was never impressed with the stock unit, and now-a-days OK aftermarket sets start well under $100. I'm really happy with the 52W/channel Sony with a front auxiliary jack that plays mp3 CDs that I picked up for $75 on sale. Better yet, find an audiophile who swaps annually and you can swing a sweet deal on a used set.
speedymatt
Scoobytruck Master

Post by speedymatt »

i think the subaru radios are hard to work with because the only aux jack i've seen is one that someone hacked to the radio. i've used the hardwired rf on the stock radio, and it worked great for a little bit but i had it wired wrong power wise. it was a good solution while it worked. i have it somewhere in the garage. last year crutchfield ran a special and i picked up a sony with ipod charge/control, and if you buddled the hd unit in you only paid $20 for the hd unit. so for $180 i got ipod control, hd, and better sound.
dzm3
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by dzm3 »

I just added Clarion RF modulator to my Baja. I ran the on/off switch and a little female jack to the front face of the ashtray, just bellow the handle that you use to pull it out.
It works great, and you can't even see the switch/jack.
The modulator has the RCA stereo outs, so I bought an adapter from RCA to femail mini jack. And a 2' male to male cable to go between iPod out to the jack mounted in the car. So when not in use I can pull that cable out and there is nothing dangling in the center console.

dz
Sabber
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Sabber »

RF modulator huh? Didnt even know those existed; seems like a great low cost way to add an aux in, may have to pick one up. Here's a sirius one I found in a quick search, should be easy to install.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:SIRIUS%20FM ... gWjCQoqMUu

under $20 too.
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by jaxed »

Here is the thread on my FM modulator install -

http://scoobytruck.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=387

Personally, although it works, the sound quality is just not there. I'm thinking of going to a new deck.
speedymatt
Scoobytruck Master

Post by speedymatt »

i think i used the clarion unit. it had the power switch and the RCA plugs. like i said it worked but you'll be happier with a new headunit. oh bonus for a new unit for the significant other is that with an aux input you can hook a laptop or dvd player sound to it and have theater sound for trips.
moonzie
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by moonzie »

Ick.. RF modulators will work, sure. But they're not going to sound nearly as good as if you could find a way to get a direct line in to the unit.

If you find it's just easier to do that, why not just get one of those cigarette lighter mp3 RF modulators you can get at most truckstops? It's easier to install - actually, there's really no install to it. And it's going to sound just as well as if you had it directly inline with your antenna wire.

I had the 6-CD changer in my Baja. If the standard CD player has RCA or aux ins, just attach a male stereo 1/8" to left/right male RCA splitter to the head unit and run the wire to a place where you can set your ipod. Common adaptors, cheap - radio shack or maybe even walmart.

I replaced everything with some very nice equipment I've picked up over the years.
* Pioneer 9400MP H/U - in Pro mode
* Infinity components in the front doors, 2 ways in the rears.
* Alpine amp delivering 100w @ 2ohm RMS to all doors.
* custom built switch-back box for dual 12s, sealed, seperated chambers, 1cu ft. each.
* 2 12" Pioneer TS-W1241DVCs (one of the best subs Pioneer ever made)
* old school Rockford amp driving 800w RMS power to the subs.
* Total dynamat. (good stuff!)

I think my system topped out at 135dB last winter when I checked, probably due to the nature of the sealed box. Those subs were originally in a bandpass box and bandpass boxes typically put out more than a sealed enclosure.
beancountertx
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by beancountertx »

moonzie wrote:Ick.. RF modulators will work, sure. But they're not going to sound nearly as good as if you could find a way to get a direct line in to the unit.

If you find it's just easier to do that, why not just get one of those cigarette lighter mp3 RF modulators you can get at most truckstops? It's easier to install - actually, there's really no install to it. And it's going to sound just as well as if you had it directly inline with your antenna wire.

I had the 6-CD changer in my Baja. If the standard CD player has RCA or aux ins, just attach a male stereo 1/8" to left/right male RCA splitter to the head unit and run the wire to a place where you can set your ipod. Common adaptors, cheap - radio shack or maybe even walmart.

I replaced everything with some very nice equipment I've picked up over the years.
* Pioneer 9400MP H/U - in Pro mode
* Infinity components in the front doors, 2 ways in the rears.
* Alpine amp delivering 100w @ 2ohm RMS to all doors.
* custom built switch-back box for dual 12s, sealed, seperated chambers, 1cu ft. each.
* 2 12" Pioneer TS-W1241DVCs (one of the best subs Pioneer ever made)
* old school Rockford amp driving 800w RMS power to the subs.
* Total dynamat. (good stuff!)

I think my system topped out at 135dB last winter when I checked, probably due to the nature of the sealed box. Those subs were originally in a bandpass box and bandpass boxes typically put out more than a sealed enclosure.
Sounds like cool set-up! Got any pics?
You must be the change you want to see in the world.-Gandhi
moonzie
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by moonzie »

They're all over nasioc (or at least they were?)

Also, here's a hand-drawn crappy schematic of the Sub-box for those of you who might be wanting some more bass and would be willing to sacrifice the switch-through...

dzm3
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by dzm3 »

speedymatt wrote:i think i used the clarion unit. it had the power switch and the RCA plugs. like i said it worked but you'll be happier with a new headunit. oh bonus for a new unit for the significant other is that with an aux input you can hook a laptop or dvd player sound to it and have theater sound for trips.
I used the Clarion unit too. The on/off switch was nicer than on the other units. I got an adapter from RCA cables to female 3.5 jack. I ran the cables out thru the ashtray (we don't smoke), and mounted the on/off switch and the female jack in the front of the ashtray, on the lower of the front surfaces. When you grab the ashtray to pull it out, that's were tips of your fingers would be. It's really accessible, but totally stealth and invisible when not in use and the male-to-male 3.5 cable, that goes between the jack and the iPod, is removed.