ipod connection?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Re: ipod connection?

Post by Kev M »

Old thread, but I just came back to this site.

FWIW - if anyone ever wants to see the back of the stock unit again, mine is sitting on a shelf, I can easily take a pic.

Personally, I had my 06 5-speed Baja about a week or two before I pulled the stock head unit and replaced it with an Ipod-compatible Alpine.

I'm sure there are dozens of other units like it now, but what was really nice about the Alpine unit was the docking cable which allowed full control of the Ipod through the head unit. In this way I could run the docking cable into that little compartment (with the door) right underneath the head unit, plug in the Ipod, close the door and leave the Ipod completely out of sight.

Jenn just bought a new Impreza and had the Subaru Media Hub installed, which is even nicer, now she's got a USB port in the center console and can control everything through the hub (and her steering wheel controls). I wonder if the hub is backwards compatable to the Baja? It's a little larger, so I guess it would eliminate that compartment I was talking about.
Last edited by Kev M on Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frogmonk
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by frogmonk »

Look into this:
http://www.scoobymods.com/aux_input_ipo ... tml?t=3357

I don't think there's much of a difference between the Baja and the Forester's radio.
Zooom
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Zooom »

frogmonk wrote:Look into this:
http://www.scoobymods.com/aux_input_ipo ... tml?t=3357

I don't think there's much of a difference between the Baja and the Forester's radio.

awesomeness...thank you for the posting...looks like I'll be doing this in the spring...KevM, just for the sake of arguement, I;d love to see the back of an old stocker unit just for giggles and comparo...

BTW...for a blank music track...my GF is an aerobics instructor and she has some blank "slugs" she DL'ed from i-Tunes for putting between songs in her workout sets....but I am also sure there is a way to record silence...there has to be...but you can also just put on the 1 song of silence and just put it on repeat.
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

Zooom wrote:
KevM, just for the sake of arguement, I;d love to see the back of an old stocker unit just for giggles and comparo...
Looking for digital camera and boxed radio... will report back...

Second part was easy - it was boxed in the Alpine head unit's box on one of my storage shelves! Man looks brand new (no surprise).

I'll take a pic later (have to boot up one of the laptops to download it).

But for the record there are 3 connections on the back.

Looking at the rear of the unit,

A 16-pin connector on the left side
A 14-pin connector on the right side
and just a little below and outboard from the 14-pin right side connector there is the antenna plug

Also, since I already had this image on my computer - here's what the Alpine unit looks like installed (Ipod concealed in the compartment below it)

Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

Pic of the back of the stock radio in the NA Baja

davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Post by davecoon13 »

I haven't pulled out my stock head unit yet. Unfortunately, the rear pic somebody posted in this forum is gone.

I ordered a $7 cable on ebay which theoretically should work according to my research. Supposedly, the stock head unit has a 13pin mini din connector, intended for the 6 CD changer option. Instead, I figure I can use that 13pin DIN to a headphone jack, based on the scoobymod instructions on how to essentially make this same type of cable from scratch. I will let you know how it goes.
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT
"Capped" with A.R.E. Topper
corgimas
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by corgimas »

davecoon13 wrote:I haven't pulled out my stock head unit yet. Unfortunately, the rear pic somebody posted in this forum is gone.

I ordered a $7 cable on ebay which theoretically should work according to my research. Supposedly, the stock head unit has a 13pin mini din connector, intended for the 6 CD changer option. Instead, I figure I can use that 13pin DIN to a headphone jack, based on the scoobymod instructions on how to essentially make this same type of cable from scratch. I will let you know how it goes.
Sweet!!!!!!! keep us posted!!!!!!
Kites Kayaks & Corgis
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Post by davecoon13 »

Well, my stock head unit doesn't have the 13pin mini din connector referenced in other threads, so the cable I ordered won't work. I think I am just gonna put in a new radio at some point.
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Post by davecoon13 »

I think there must be different head unit styles for the Baja. This cable does not work. I will need to just get a new radio at some point I guess.
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT