fuel filler door

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

rxcoop
Scoobytruck Lurker

fuel filler door

Post by rxcoop »

mine is kinda sprung. anybody every install any type of locking system on theirs ?? looking for something to hold it shut more than the security aspect....
--
thanks//////coop

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However
a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Evanism
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: fuel filler door

Post by Evanism »

I've been looking into istalling the OBW remote opener into my Baja. I have the feeling that all will work well, except that the cable might have to be longer to snake around the bed. I expect to use the OWN control as it just has the one lever where the sedan had a double lever (one for the trunk). Once I find one at a reasonable price, I'll post how it goes.
2005 Baja Sport, Regal Blue Pearl
traded-in 2004 Legacy 35th
Slight mods:
Heated mirrors
Heated seats
Horn upgrade
Speaker upgrade
OzzBros bed cover
Autodim mirror
Bluetooth stereo
Factory tweeters
Turbo Headlights
Honda_Fan
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Honda_Fan »

Mine would not close all the way when I got mine and was also very stiff to open. A very liberal dosing of silicon on the hinges while opening and closing the door loosened things up quite nicely. It now latches closed and needs a little tug to open it.
Deerhtr
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Deerhtr »

I was having the same issue not closing. I tried white lith grease and that too did the trick.
Thanks for the suggestion. It was driving me nuts.
Alpha Wolf
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Alpha Wolf »

Anyone found one of those race car type billet style locking doors?
Turbo
rp2813
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by rp2813 »

The fuel door on my '03 wasn't staying closed either, so I ran a search here and found this thread.

Lubing the hinge didn't help. I tried slightly bending the catch on the door for a tighter fit, but it didn't do anything but prevent the door from closing and latching at all. I also noticed that even when held in the closed position, the hinged side of the door was sunken in compared to the latching side. I removed the nuts that hold the door to the hinge, put a heavy steel washer over each threaded stud and replaced the nuts.
Now the door latches better -- not perfectly, but it doesn't pop open anymore, and it's perfectly aligned with the body side panel.

Considering all the little things Subaru thought of that are somewhat unique to the Baja, I'm surprised that they didn't include a locking fuel door that either tied in with the central locking system or had a separate cable operated lever to pop it open from the driver's seat.