Tailgate question

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Tailgate question

Post by canuck37 »

OK, this is a bit of a stretch, but does anyone have any experience driving long distances with the tailgate down, and about 100 lbs. weight resting on it?

I need to drive about 2000 miles with a large electric scooter in the back. It is about 6" too long to leave the tailgate up, so it needs to be down. I have the bed extender and it will be tied down, so it isn't an issue of the thing moving around.

What I am curious about is: given the excessive weight of the tailgate itself, can those dinky cables support the additional weight, plus the gate itself, for several days? It seems a bit much to ask of them......

Also a concern is has anyone noticed any road debris damage from stuff kicked up onto the paint of the tailgate when leaving it down at freeway speeds, etc.?

I have taken plenty of heavy loads before, also with the gate down, but never for that long and not at freeway speeds over distance.

Just something to think about.....don't want to have to rent a van or something if I don't have to.....

Thanks!
bajabob
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Tailgate question

Post by bajabob »

I think it would be fine. steel cable is stronger then you might think. I got these numbers from a hardware supply catalog -
1/8 galvanized cable breaking strength is 2000 pounds, 5/32 is 2800, 3/16 is 4200 and 1/4 is 7000
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

The rated payload capacity of the tailgate alone is 600 lbs (or is it 660? I'd have to go look). So, you don't have anything to worry about.
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Post by davecoon13 »

Agreed. I have carried my wife's scooter no problem. In fact, I don't think the cables are all that is supporting the tailgate. It seems like the hinge mechanism somehow supports it also, because even when I removed the cables to get a stone out, the tailgate was still in place.
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT
"Capped" with A.R.E. Topper
motojak
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by motojak »

I just recently drove from the Florida panhandle up to Michigan then down to Tampa then back up here in the panhandle with my motorcycle in the back. Bike weighs around 300 and I had no problems at all. Gas mileage didn't suffer more than 1-2 mpg either. I could be wrong but I think the tailgate is rated at 600 lbs. Don't take my word for it though but I remember reading that somewhere.

-Jason
argh6
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by argh6 »

Probably a bit late, but yeah, that will be no problem. I drive all over the west coast with my R6 in the back...

-Jerry!
-'04 Turbo
-'03 R6
- http://www.TI2TT.com