Oil level reading

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Post Reply
mechanic80
Scoobytruck Contributer
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:01 am

Oil level reading

Post by mechanic80 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:16 am

Recently purchased 2005 NA Baja with rebuilt engine, new w/p, timing belt etc, etc... When I first checked the oil dipstick it read WAY too much oil. I immediately drained the oil but got the correct amount of oil (about 4.25 qt,) replaced the oil and of course still read WAY too much oil. Could see repairs made to the tube on closer inspection. Wrong tube? Wrong dipstick?

Reddog
Scoobytruck Lurker
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:39 pm

Re: Oil level reading

Post by Reddog » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:26 pm

The dipstick has a notch above the upper level.
Just after driving or while the engine is warm, the engine
oil level reading may be in a range between the
upper level and the notch mark. This is caused by thermal
expansion of the engine oil.
􀂄

User avatar
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:07 pm
Location: Santa Clara, CA (Originally Toronto, ON)

Re: Oil level reading

Post by anarchy1024 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:25 pm

If you'd like, I can measure my tube and dipstick lengths. I have a 2003 NA (I'd think they'd be the same as the 2005 NA, but not 100% sure).

mechanic80
Scoobytruck Contributer
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:01 am

Re: Oil level reading

Post by mechanic80 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:57 am

That would be helpful, thanks.

mechanic80
Scoobytruck Contributer
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:01 am

Re: Oil level reading

Post by mechanic80 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:08 am

By "overfill" I mean theat the level reads past the first twist, past the second twist and a half inch above that! It seems to read about 3-4 quarts over and yet it's not. I understand there is a 20006 STI oil pan that's different. If that were installed, might that account for the readings? I think I'm gonna stop by the local boneyard and see if I can find the exact same engine and go from there.

greymud
Scoobytruck Contributer
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:51 am

Re: Oil level reading

Post by greymud » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:24 am

Where are you? Having another Baja to swap dipsticks with would be a good test.
05 NA 5MT

mechanic80
Scoobytruck Contributer
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:01 am

Re: Oil level reading

Post by mechanic80 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:17 pm

I'm in Albuquerque and there are no Bajas in any junk yard but there are plenty of subarus.

mike-tracy
Scoobytruck Contributer
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:30 pm

Re: Oil level reading

Post by mike-tracy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:41 pm

It's the same dipstick as the same year legacy
1992 Legacy SS, 5mt and heavily modified
2000 Impreza RS Coupe, RSTI swap in progress
2003 Baja, 4eat & NA. Bone stock and loving it!

User avatar
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master
Posts: 295
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:54 am

Re: Oil level reading

Post by kamesama980 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:00 am

Just to be sure we're on the same page (is the device plugged in and the power switch turned on...) because I don't know you or your car knowledge.

Remember to let the oil settle a few minutes before checking it.
Pull the dipstick
clean it
insert the dipstick
read it

When you have drained and filled the oil, start the engine to fill the oil filter and passages that may have drained then let the car sit a minute or two.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back

harleyjohn45
Scoobytruck Contributer
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:52 pm

Re: Oil level reading

Post by harleyjohn45 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:48 pm

mike-tracy wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:41 pm
It's the same dipstick as the same year legacy
I know, I've been looking. Found a nice one in Missoula Mt. It had 57 K miles, I bid 3200 and someone else bid 3250, but it didn't meet reserve. I don't know how it ended. If I had won, I would have had almost 5000 to get it out of the yard plus 400 I paid the broker to bid, the 1700 shipping. I would have been looking at close to 7000 in a nice little Baja Turbo with the left front end missing.
I just bought this 2006 Baja Turbo, one small lady owner, never wrecked, great maintenance record ( I talked to her mechanic), 110k miles and looks new. Price 9000.00.
Baja Longview 1.jpg
Baja Longview 1.jpg (91.14 KiB) Viewed 502 times

Baja Longview 13.jpg
Baja Longview 13.jpg (119.72 KiB) Viewed 502 times
Baja Longview 1.jpg
Baja Longview 1.jpg (91.14 KiB) Viewed 502 times
Attachments
Baja Longview 5.jpg
Baja Longview 5.jpg (103.14 KiB) Viewed 502 times

kensei
Scoobytruck Lurker
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:38 pm

Re: Oil level reading

Post by kensei » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:23 am

Just to weigh in on this, I, too, am often frustrated by the dipstick in both the Baja and our '10 Forester. Example; change the oil and filter adding the recommended amount of oil, button everything up and the dipstick is right on the full mark. Go for a drive, park the car and then check the oil the next morning and it is a few inches above the full mark. This is consistent and happens on both of these cars, though the same cannot be said for our '16 Outback; it always reads as you would expect.

On our Baja and Forester, it seems that if the oil is checked within a couple hours of a drive, then you can get a good reading. If it sits overnight or longer, I am assuming oil must drain down from other places, since I don't think it is making it. Anymore, pretty much as long as I pull the dipstick out and there is oil on it, I am not concerned. I know I start with the right amount after the change, and just check it at an appropriate time after a shutdown when I need an actual level for monitoring/adding oil, as both do need topped up a few times between changes.

-John

User avatar
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master
Posts: 295
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:54 am

Re: Oil level reading

Post by kamesama980 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:17 pm

kensei wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:23 am
Just to weigh in on this, I, too, am often frustrated by the dipstick in both the Baja and our '10 Forester. Example; change the oil and filter adding the recommended amount of oil, button everything up and the dipstick is right on the full mark. Go for a drive, park the car and then check the oil the next morning and it is a few inches above the full mark. This is consistent and happens on both of these cars, though the same cannot be said for our '16 Outback; it always reads as you would expect.

On our Baja and Forester, it seems that if the oil is checked within a couple hours of a drive, then you can get a good reading. If it sits overnight or longer, I am assuming oil must drain down from other places, since I don't think it is making it. Anymore, pretty much as long as I pull the dipstick out and there is oil on it, I am not concerned. I know I start with the right amount after the change, and just check it at an appropriate time after a shutdown when I need an actual level for monitoring/adding oil, as both do need topped up a few times between changes.

-John
Just changed the oil an hour ago in mine. (Barely, the hood wouldn't release. Had a friend come over and help then worked and lubed the heck out of the latch. Good sign I guess that I haven't had to open it much). I'm in the same mindset: It leaks enough oil as long as there is a reading I'm happy. I'm glad it's not a VW or Mercedes that has a dash light and problems if it's 1/4 qt over-full.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back

ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: Oil level reading

Post by ZUBAJA » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:23 am

I almost always change mine using a 5 quart jug of oil. I usually measure out and fill about 4 quarts of oil plus what I can fit in the filter. Then start it, check for leaks, and recheck it (always a little under the full mark). Then I take it for a road test around the neighborhood and recheck and add after it cools from the drive. Dennis

harleyjohn45
Scoobytruck Contributer
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:52 pm

Re: Oil level reading

Post by harleyjohn45 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:15 pm

harleyjohn45 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:48 pm
mike-tracy wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:41 pm
It's the same dipstick as the same year legacy
I know, I've been looking. Found a nice one in Missoula Mt. It had 57 K miles, I bid 3200 and someone else bid 3250, but it didn't meet reserve. I don't know how it ended. If I had won, I would have had almost 5000 to get it out of the yard plus 400 I paid the broker to bid, the 1700 shipping. I would have been looking at close to 7000 in a nice little Baja Turbo with the left front end missing.
I just bought this 2006 Baja Turbo, one small lady owner, never wrecked, great maintenance record ( I talked to her mechanic), 110k miles and looks new. Price 9000.00.

Baja Longview 1.jpg

Baja Longview 13.jpg

Baja Longview 1.jpg
Well, I bought the car. It looks new and drives like new. I knew I had to wear parts to replace. It has not had the timing belt replaced and also the water pump is original. I talked to her mechanic and he told me he replaced the turbo and did all the checkups. Sounded like he knew what he was talking about. The dealer said he had repaired the A/C. When I got there the car started right up and ran so quiet, I couldn't hear it. I signed all the paperwork and we headed for Dallas, headed home. I noticed the car didn't have much power, but I was going along about 65 mph which was fine by me. as we got past Dallas, I decided to turn on the A/C and of course it didn't work. So there were 2 lies that I had been told. I don't believe the Turbo is working, because I think I'm down about 100 HP. That's the way it goes with me on used cars, I always have to spend 3 or 4 thousand to get them sorted.
One great thing is this car has a pioneer stereo, and I could pick up 15 or 20 FM stations all the way from Long View Texas to Alto, NM. This vehicle has great sound. Oh, one last thing I got a check engine light about 5 miles after I left the dealership. That caused the Cruise control to not work. If the Check engine light is a o2 code, that would be an exhaust gas sensor, and I understand that can rob power.
You can bet I will leave him negative feedback that will burn his ears. I hate people who lie.

User avatar
Guacamole
Scoobytruck Master
Posts: 388
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:11 am
Location: Eastern Shore, MD
Contact:

Re: Oil level reading

Post by Guacamole » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:40 pm

Pull that turbo banjo bolt filter ASAP! If the turbo was replaced, I guarantee that filter wasn't pulled- this'll starve your turbo if clogged and cause an eventual catastrophic turbo failure with a high probability of taking the engine with it.
Also check for any leaks in the vacuum tubes, might be the source of your low power issues.
Is it throwing a P0420 code?
Image

Post Reply