New Member and Owner

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Bluffman
Scoobytruck Lurker

New Member and Owner

Post by Bluffman »

Hello everyone. I'm very excited to be a member of the forum and proud owner of an 05 Baja Turbo. I've been wanting one for a while. Everything lined up so to speak and a local dealership got one in. I had to part ways with my 00 Durango, which was in amazing condition for being that old but it was a lifestyle move for me and I've been wanting a Baja for a while now.

Now a new era :) This I hope will be with me for a longggggg time. I've tried to go through a lot of the posts on here to get better understanding of the Baja...thanks.

I've got a ton of questions but.......for the first one....would a cold air intake be a first good investment?
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by jaxed »

Welcome! I know for myself, when I bought the Baja, I said I'd keep it for 10 years. That would take me to 2014! So far so good.
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Welcome to the wonderful world of Baja. Hope you enjoy the critter like the rest of us do.
As far as a cold air intake, I have one. Don't know if it has any performance advantage, but it sure sounds neat when you floor the gas pedal!!

Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.
Snorkeled
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Snorkeled »

Welcome to this wonderful Baja site of knowledge. . . :D
Bluffman
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Bluffman »

Hello all....thanks for the welcome.
Bluffman
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: New Member and Owner

Post by Bluffman »

Well...things are still going great with my purchase. I'm really finding the amazing versatility with the vehicle.

I haven't gotten my cold air intake yet. What do ya'll recommend? I'm not sure what would be compatible with my 05 turbo.

Also, what would you recommend for a solid next improvement: rotors or new exhaust

Any other performance mod suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

Bobby
Snorkeled
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Snorkeled »

Snorkel System :-)
Mark
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Mark »

I'm in the same boat but with an 06 naturally aspirated. Since I don't want a snorkel, what do you think is better the Weapon-R, Cobb, or Perrin? If you have a better idea all together... I'm all ears.
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

The turbo and non turbo factory intakes pull cold air already. For a non-turbo, unless you have a crazy amount of other work done, which one you use won't make any appreciable difference except to your wallet.

less so for the non-turbo but particularly for the turbo, make sure you get one with an actual airbox that partitions the filter off from the engine bay to pull cold air from outside the engine compartment. Using a cone filter under-hood without ducting cold air to it is like chopping your toes off before a foot race.

Rotors or exhaust: What's the status of the current parts? I put reliable braking ahead of power any day of the week. If your braking system is fully functional, do the exhaust. If your brakes are less than 100%, do them first. Forget the fancy drilled/slotted crap, for a street-driven vehicle it's mostly cosmetic and can cause more issues. Getting better quality blank rotors (better alloy/treatments) and good pads will do more for brake performance and longevity. The problem is most of the stuff in the price range us mere mortals look at the holes and slots are machined after casting which opens the grain of the metal, blah blah blah, cracks forming in the rotors between the holes in a few k miles. (my FIL put some on my wifes car back when and guess what happened?). And from a physics perspective, braking is a matter of the coefficient of friction and surface area. If the surface area happens to be perforated, less force for the same pads.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

This post was dead 9 years ago. I think this is a record guys...
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

bajaguy wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:52 pm This post was dead 9 years ago. I think this is a record guys...
Doh! just saw the most recent post, didn't read the dates on the previous because I always (mistakenly) think others will before posting. Well, the advice is timeless at least.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back