Loud Air Horns

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

motojak
Scoobytruck Contributer

Loud Air Horns

Post by motojak »

Has anyone tried installing aftermarket horns for their car. Especially the ones that come with an air compressor. I would really like to put one on the baja to scare the crap out of all the stupid drivers down here that don't know what the left lane is for (and for small children and animals). lol
uj2
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by uj2 »

Same thought has crossed my mind several times but read somewhere that in some states it is illegal to have truck-type air horns in a car. Not saying that there aren't air horns suitable for cars but if you were thinking like I was to get that big diesel sound for those 50mph left-lane drivers :twisted: you may want to check local laws first.
bajabob
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajabob »

Air horns are cool but a lot of the subie guys have gone to Hella supertones as a replacement to stock. It's an easy install and they work well.

Bob
motojak
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by motojak »

Thanks for the suggestions. Im gonna have to check em out.
Zooom
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Zooom »

1 word

STEBEL !!!

I have one on my Ducati and they are easy to wire up and take up little room and put out a more audible than stock but not overly 18 wheel truck driver rig type of obnoxiousness.
crackhead
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by crackhead »

I realize this is an older topic but can anyone give me some advise on the Stebel installation on the Baja. I have the horn and the relay but that's all that came in the package. Has anyone done this before? It won't just plug into the existing wiring.
sporter
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by sporter »

What's the advantage of the Hella Supertones? Do they sound less like a toy than the stock horns?
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

sporter wrote:What's the advantage of the Hella Supertones? Do they sound less like a toy than the stock horns?
118dB thats the advantage
sporter
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by sporter »

Thanks. Are they easy to install?
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

The Hella supertones are almost a direct replacement. unbolt old, bolt on new horn with bracket, connect the connector and a ground.
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Post by canuck37 »

Hawk296 wrote:The Hella supertones are almost a direct replacement. unbolt old, bolt on new horn with bracket, connect the connector and a ground.
I thought I remember from way back in the Forum that these required the use of a relay to work properly and not cause wiring overload, etc.. Some folks had posted wiring diagrams, etc.. I gave up on 'em cause I didn't want to mess with the wiring at the time. Not right????
sporter
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by sporter »

Did a quick search, it appears the relay requirement is for the Hella lights. Didn't find any info about a relay for their horns.
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

sorry, wrong forum

Post by canuck37 »

sporter wrote:Did a quick search, it appears the relay requirement is for the Hella lights. Didn't find any info about a relay for their horns.

Sorry, my memory failed on the comment above I made about needing a relay. There is a bunch of posts about this on the NASIOC Baja Forum - go there, search and ye shall find! Good luck...
bajabob
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajabob »

canuck37 wrote:
Hawk296 wrote:The Hella supertones are almost a direct replacement. unbolt old, bolt on new horn with bracket, connect the connector and a ground.
I thought I remember from way back in the Forum that these required the use of a relay to work properly and not cause wiring overload, etc.. Some folks had posted wiring diagrams, etc.. I gave up on 'em cause I didn't want to mess with the wiring at the time. Not right????
They will work fine with the stock wires, but it is said that they work a bit better with the relay connection. Adding in the relay isn't that much more work.
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Loud Air Horns

Post by davecoon13 »

What part number? An ebay search doesn't show any listed as Subaru compatible.
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT
"Capped" with A.R.E. Topper