Hello from Wisconsin

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

klapool
Scoobytruck Contributer

Hello from Wisconsin

Post by klapool »

Hi! My name is klapool. I have a 2006 Baja.

I found this site through a google search for Subaru Baja Forums.

The reason I was looking for this is because I plan on pulling a trailer with 2 motorcycles from Wisconsin to Oklahoma this August.

I have already made plans to have a transmission cooler installed and have synthetic tranny fluid put in.

A little about me, my wife and I ride motorcycles, I have a Honda VTX 1300 and she rides a Harley Heritage Softail.

I am an administrator for a VTX motorcycle Mod forum called Cheapskate Riders Are Proud, or "C.R.A.P."

The web site is http://www.crapmods.com if your interested in where else I spend some time.

But I am here as I am looking for some real world info on what this Baja can and cannot do.!!

Just wanted to make the introduction!!
ebbie97
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ebbie97 »

Welcome! You'll find the Baja amazing. Read on, there are several posts about motorcycles on this forum.
-EB
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Welcome to a fellow Cheesehead!! Hope you like the Baja as much as we do. It is capable of doing lots of things a fullsize truck can do, just can't overdo it. I haul a ATV around several times a year, from the SE part of the state to the SW part, to ride. Also pull it up north the the Hurley area for July 4th when I am on vacation. ATV and trailer prolly weigh about 1200 pounds. Will cut into the mileage, and performance, but I still get 19 or 20 mpg when towing. Not bad, and alot better than other tow vehicles out there. Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.
klapool
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by klapool »

I stopped by a tramsmission shop yesterday to discuss the ability of this little truck being able to pull what I want to pull. The owner said that these were really well built vehicles and with the cooler and synthetic oil and staying out of overdrive I shouldnt have a problem.

I am so glad I found this site!!

Whoever started this... Thank you!!!!
The Distance
Scoobytruck Contributer

welcome

Post by The Distance »

Welcome to the board. I just got my Baja in January and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Welcome--in advance--to Oklahoma. Lots of friendly folks here.
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

I usually don't tow in overdrive unless it is level, no wind, and traffic is light. One of the first times that I towed my atv, I came back on the freeway at 65 with the a/c on. In 3rd gear the engine was doing 4200 rpm's. Didn't seem to bother it in the least, and mileage was good. I just have a small trans cooler on it that I got from Car Quest. Was a PITA to put on, must have taken me about 3 hours to do it. And that was at work where I have my toolbox!! Was worth it though. I never tow anything without a cooler. And I have not blown up a trans yet with a cooler on it. :lol: Mike
klapool
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by klapool »

mbaksic wrote:I usually don't tow in overdrive unless it is level, no wind, and traffic is light. One of the first times that I towed my atv, I came back on the freeway at 65 with the a/c on. In 3rd gear the engine was doing 4200 rpm's. Didn't seem to bother it in the least, and mileage was good. I just have a small trans cooler on it that I got from Car Quest. Was a PITA to put on, must have taken me about 3 hours to do it. And that was at work where I have my toolbox!! Was worth it though. I never tow anything without a cooler. And I have not blown up a trans yet with a cooler on it. :lol: Mike
Thats good to hear.

Just for kicks I took my kids to school this morning and while on the interstate highway I left it in 3rd gear. It did run around 4200 rpm.

I would liketo install the cooler by myself but I havent got a lift and I would be doing it on the floor. I just dont think I want to do that. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and have a pro do it!!

Has anyone on the board run synthetic motor oil in their engine and if so do you notice any differance?? Run smoother or cooler??
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Yes, I don't blame you for not wanting to do the cooler at home. I had a heck of a time at work. Had to get the smallest cooler I could to fit it in front of the a/c condenser. Then had to pull out the support in front to make extra clearance so it would fit. Removed the right side headlamp to get room to get the hoses up to the cooler. Had to hack off one of the tabs that hold the headlamp in, and heat the headlamp and force one side of it in so I had no clearance probs with the hoses. Also had to do some minor sheetmetal trimming to get the correct hose clearance. Then find out which hose is the return hose to the trans to splice into. Used one of the formed trans hoses to run up to the cooler, so it could make a tight bend. Was very time consuming. Whew! I can't believe that I remembered most of that. Was at least 2 years ago. Mike
klapool
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by klapool »

mbaksic wrote:Yes, I don't blame you for not wanting to do the cooler at home. I had a heck of a time at work. Had to get the smallest cooler I could to fit it in front of the a/c condenser. Then had to pull out the support in front to make extra clearance so it would fit. Removed the right side headlamp to get room to get the hoses up to the cooler. Had to hack off one of the tabs that hold the headlamp in, and heat the headlamp and force one side of it in so I had no clearance probs with the hoses. Also had to do some minor sheetmetal trimming to get the correct hose clearance. Then find out which hose is the return hose to the trans to splice into. Used one of the formed trans hoses to run up to the cooler, so it could make a tight bend. Was very time consuming. Whew! I can't believe that I remembered most of that. Was at least 2 years ago. Mike
Wow that sounds like and enormous amount of work you put into it..
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Yup, it was a pain, but worth it in my humble opinion. Like I said, I won't tow anything without a cooler. After seeing so many Dodge truck transmissions and Caravan transmissions blown up over the years because the owners try to tow a house with them without a cooler, it just makes sense. People don't realize what a load it is on the trans, and how fast and how hot the fluid gets. The heat is the killer, so it you can get the heat down my 30 or so degrees, it will only help the situation. Mike
klapool
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by klapool »

Now I am no automotive mechanic by any means, but why would the tranny repair shop tell me to have the cooler installed and then run the tranny in 3rd gear whill towing. Wouldnt that cause more heat to build up or does it have something to do with how much fluid is being pumped?
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

The engine tends to lug in overdrive, thats not good for the engine or the trans. It helps to keep the rpm's up when towing, and it helps on the performance end too. When the engine lugs, that puts alot of strain on it, and the trans will try to downshift anyways. All the up and down with the shifting is hard too. Better to keep the rpm up and accept the loss in gas mileage. Years ago, we told people not to use overdrive when it was slippery in the winter, because you had no engine braking either. Thats another reason, in 3rd gear, you will have some engine braking when you just let off the gas. Mike
the slug
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by the slug »

klapool wrote:
mbaksic wrote:Has anyone on the board run synthetic motor oil in their engine and if so do you notice any differance?? Run smoother or cooler??
2003 N/A Baja
I've been using Mobile 1 since the 2nd or 3rd oil change. I usually change around 5000 miles. Old oil "looks" good coming out. I average between 26-28 mpg. Did get 31 once going to Florida.

I look at synthetic oil as an insurance policy.
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

I just run cheapo dino oil. Walmart brand. It comes out every 2,000 miles so it never looks very dirty. I just can't get used to leaving oil if for more than 3,000 miles. Must be gettin old I guess.
Also, when at Dodge schools, I was told that the factory doesn't care what kind of oil you run, as long as it is replaced at the FACTORY intervals. If they find out that you have gone over that, they will void your warranty. I saw how this worked recently. We had a customer that had bought a new Dodge truck from us last year. It had a 3.7 liter V-6 in it, and he used it for his landscape business. It was making all kinds of noises, so he brought it in. It had 29,000 mile on it, and still had the factory oil filter on it!!! He claimed that nobody told him when to change the oil when he bought his truck, so he wanted a new engine. He said that he had changed oil on it 2 times since he owned it. The Mopar factory filters are stamped in small white letters, FACTORY INSTALLED. The zone rep denied it, and cancelled his warranty. Granted, this is really bad, but you can see what happens if you extend the change interval. Sometimes the warranty will say in small print that you have to save all of the receipts for oil and filters so if you have any problems, you have the documentation to back up the claim that you have done oil changes at the correct mileage and time intervals. The above just FYI. Mike