General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Subaru drive magazine ST-X

Post by Hawk296 »

http://www.drive.subaru.com/Fall06_attic3.htm

Found this on Nasioc in the news and rumors section

good to see it is still around! Although they took off the enkeis for stock outback wheels!

Also http://www.drive.subaru.com/Fall06_attic.htm
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

Interesting that they showcase the STX after they axe the Baja...funny, those pics make it look yellow instead of orange.
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by jaxed »

I like the Brat.
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

At least the concept is saved in their "museum". Neat what they have, I took a look at the last issue. Neat things. I wonder if other auto makers have done the same. Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.
spazchicken
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by spazchicken »

I know toyota has a museum with a lot of race & concept cars in it.
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

GM & Ford also have similar "museums"-although I think thiers are basically warehouses. Man, I'd like to get a hold of that ST-X!! I know the original version of the switchback probably wasn't very strong accident wise, but it's way cooler than the production version...I still think it's funny that the in bed storage was skipped on the Baja but made it into the ridgeline...and honda made a big deal out of it too.
spazchicken
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by spazchicken »

I fail to see how they couldn't make it with the switchback...I mean the middle of the Outback wagon is open, right? Isn't the ring-shaped reinforcement frame the structural part of the Legacy platform?
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

spazchicken wrote:I fail to see how they couldn't make it with the switchback...I mean the middle of the Outback wagon is open, right? Isn't the ring-shaped reinforcement frame the structural part of the Legacy platform?
Some Scoobie-employed lawyer freaked that cargo would become a danger to the occupants of the front seats in the event of an accident. That's the only logical reason I can find why they went that way.

Shame really.
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

Well, it is based on the outback, but I don't know how much they really share with each other (I think I read it was only like 20% of parts). Anyway, the wagon still has full metal around the whole rear whereas the Baja doesn't. I have a 91 ranger with a leer fastback on it-basically, you take the rear window out and it creates a passthough to a piece on the back of the cab that provides storage. We have cracked so many windshields our insurance company threated to drop glass coverage on it! We drove it more conservatively after that. Taking out that window allowed just that much more flexation in the body/frame-even though it's basically the same vehicle as the explorer which is open behind the rear seats, the ex has a full body on it where the Ranger has an open bed. While I know these are unibody not full frame, I am guessing it would be similar-you take way rigidity when you take out that section. I wonder how chevy did it though....
spazchicken
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by spazchicken »

Apparently, the Z71's "sport bars" aren't just for show like ours are.
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

The ST-X started as a leacy wagon. it was cut, rear door shortened and then the bed was extended. This did lead to rigidity issues and the "sport bars " on that car were structural.

In production crash would have been an issue so the retracting window and folding midgate were replaced with the pass thorugh version of the switchback.

Oh, And Chrysler has a pretty good museum too. They rotate the stuff in there pretty frequently.
blubaja03
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by blubaja03 »

I don't think SOA;s museum is public. My friend works there, and he's not even been in it. They do leave some neat stuff outside sometimes tho. Like the WRB Baja, and other preproduction stuff for road tests.
chicken n waffles
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by chicken n waffles »

the forester "woody" concept car makes me want to hurl
-Ben
'05 Baja Turbo M/T
Atlantic Blue