General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

What have you hauled? Post Pics !!!

Post by Kev M »

Ok,

So I got a question for ya.

What have you hauled in or with your Baja?

I've been examining dimensions and I think it is possible that with a proper metal ramp system I might be able to transport motorcycles.

Looks like the bed-to-edge of tailgage length is something like 59" and our current bikes have wheelbases of 60 and 62 inches (with wet weights below 600 lbs), so if I had a metal ramp that stuck out another foot or so past the bed I think most/all of the weight would sit on the bed and tailgate.

What do you guys think?

Kev
stefan
Scoobytruck Master

Post by stefan »

SHould be ok- I have hauled wood up to camp (mostly pallets), large bags of jars (for work) a bunck of junk from camp to home (wagon, paint, weedkiller, tent poles, and other junk that mysteriouly got out to camp and never got home!). I've also taken the Baja Rock collecting (a serious hobby for me)- I drive her up some creekbeds- park it and collect to my hearts content!
I always wanted a BRAT, I had a Baja (sold) Now I have an Outback
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

stefan wrote: I've also taken the Baja Rock collecting (a serious hobby for me)- I drive her up some creekbeds- park it and collect to my hearts content!
I take it these are not rocks you'd otherwise put in your pocket :wink:
Packa
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Packa »

There is someone over on NASIOC.com whose posted pix of hauling a sportsbike... he actually made a "beam" that overhung the tailgate and sat the bike on top of that.
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

Sooo many things-
drywall (barely fits, but it fits)
10 bundles of roofing shingles
A large (and rather heavy) old metal shear
A washer/dryer combo
a grille
landscaping items (plants to dirt)
a bunch of car parts
Bronco tailgate
a lot of other things I can't recall-I have some pics on a similar thread on nasioc...
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

Packa wrote:There is someone over on NASIOC.com whose posted pix of hauling a sportsbike... he actually made a "beam" that overhung the tailgate and sat the bike on top of that.
BINGO, that's basically what I was trying to describe!

AWESOME, I should go search for that.

Kev
stefan
Scoobytruck Master

Post by stefan »

No not Pocket rocks- If I can lift it I take it (about 100 Lbs max for this old guy) I hauled a ladder (roof rack) and a matress this weekend- also loaded it up with half dozen 40x48 pallets- This weekend we start working on fire wood for camp- gonna see how much I can fit in the bed- as I still have not gotten off my lazy duff and finished my trailer!
I always wanted a BRAT, I had a Baja (sold) Now I have an Outback
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

Moved a foosball table this weekend... :wink:
spazchicken
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by spazchicken »

I've only had it since last month and I've hauled an industrial pressure washer, a full load of yard sale crap (to the thrift store), lumber and vinyl flooring, and a gas grill.
holland_patrick
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by holland_patrick »

rock

yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

stefan wrote:This weekend we start working on fire wood for camp- gonna see how much I can fit in the bed- as I still have not gotten off my lazy duff and finished my trailer!
Won't be hard to find up here in the northtowns, lol.
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

Hauled about 600 lbs. of books to a recycler yesterday! Not the slightest bit of sag as far as I could tell.

k
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Post by davecoon13 »

Some of what I have hauled (not at the same time):

A Plastic Suncast Shed
Arrow Metal Shed
32" LCD HDTV
Clothes Dryer
Dishwasher
400 Square Feet SOD
4 Bicycles (at once)
Lawn Mower
8' Banquet Table
Dining Room Table with 4 chairs
Kitchen Cabinets
Lawn Mower + Edger
4500 watt Generator
Sofa
Loveseat
Recliner
Futon
Bookcase
Lumber
Drywall
Concrete
Paint
Queen Bed + Mattress + Box Spring

Depending on the weight of your motorbikes. I am soon going to be taking a Motorcycle riding class to see if I can get the Motorbike endorsement. I will get a $250 4x8 trailer from http://HarborFreight.com to tow the bike though.

The dimensions of the Baja Bed are here: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/baja/baja2003.html I printed/cut out that photo and laminated it for my glove box
Last edited by davecoon13 on Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
j
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by j »

I've had my Baja for 2 and a half years. I've hauled 3 refrigerators (lying down), countless trips with lawn mowing equipment, a recliner, countless loads of yardsale junk, moved with it twice, I hauled 10 miscellaneous tires to be recycled, loads and loads of cardboard to the recycling center, and my two favorites:

1. I broke up this small, useless patch of cement in the backyard. Once loaded, the rear end must've been about 6" - 8" lower than stock. I took it easy driving to the landfill, as to not damage the suspension, and according to the scale at the landfill (and my best estimate), there had to have been 1,000 - 1,100 pounds of concrete in the bed.

2. I hauled 28 rolls of 2' x 5' sod from Home Depot, which had to have been about the same weight.

It wasn't my first choice to (over)load the Baja like this, but, it's what I've got to work with.

Here's a pic of 2 sheets of 4' x 8' siding, 4 interior hollow core doors, and two heavy duty storm/security doors. I promise it was all tied down well, better than represented in the photo, and hauled very cautiously.

And I can't even begin to tell you all how happy I am that, since this picture was taken, I've gotten rid of those terrible, terrible Potenzas...in favor of a set of Good Year Assurance Triple Treads. Oh, how I love the Triple Tread's.
j
MY03 Baja Sport
Baja Yellow
nacho
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by nacho »

Here is a picture of my baja doing yard work.

[/img]