Moderator: mikenmel08

kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Re: What have you hauled? Post Pics !!!

Post by kamesama980 »

GeekVenture wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:03 pm
Kev M wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:40 am Ok,

So I got a question for ya.

What have you hauled in or with your Baja?

I've been examining dimensions and I think it is possible that with a proper metal ramp system I might be able to transport motorcycles.

Looks like the bed-to-edge of tailgage length is something like 59" and our current bikes have wheelbases of 60 and 62 inches (with wet weights below 600 lbs), so if I had a metal ramp that stuck out another foot or so past the bed I think most/all of the weight would sit on the bed and tailgate.

What do you guys think?

Kev
My bike weighs 249 lbs and I'm looking for a metal C-channel to replace the wood I used below.

The suspension seems uneven and bouncy but not too bad for being 212,000 miles on the original parts.
I want to upgrade the suspension, or am I crazy to invest with her mileage?

Should I be getting the "Overload Springs"...or is there something better?

I wouldn't mind getting a second 249 lbs bike back there [smilie=coolup.gif]

As for loading her...
In the picture above, I had a foldable aluminum ramp to the right on her tailgate. Once the front tire got past her tailgate seam...I turned into the...braced (won't go left or right) plank to get my front tire up and on. Then I steered the front tire down the center while the rear stayed on the edge of the aluminum ramp. I put the kickstand down and loosely tied off the front (L&R). Now I could hop the rear tire up/over on and in line with the front tire and finish tying her off front and center (rear). I tied the rear wheel to the plank, but that's overkill because the bike didn't budge.

New struts will do wonders, especially for the bounciness. Sadly not much is available other than OE equivalent. If you plan on hauling frequently and can live with the ride height and stiffer ride, overload springs wouldn't be a terrible idea. 250lb isn't that much, the issue is the CG of the load is so far back.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mikenmel08 »

Here is my October haul....
IMG_20171009_094637425.jpg
IMG_20171009_094637425.jpg (5.28 MiB) Viewed 53768 times
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

20 folding chairs and 4 6ft folding tables (under the chairs in the bed) today- it's amazing what you can fit in these little things.
baja tetris.jpg
baja tetris.jpg (286.46 KiB) Viewed 52970 times
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

Way too much. Bajas do not like shingles. I'm redoing the roof on my detached garage workshop. My roofing guy calls and says "can you pick up the shingles? I ask about weight so I can decide whether to take the trailer or just the Baja. He says "it's ONLY 12 bundles". I take the Baja. When the guy comes out with the forklift and the rear of the Baja keeps going further and further down OOPS! :shock: We made it without any damage, but next time something like this - I TAKE THE TRAILER. Dennis
Baja and shingles 001.JPG
Baja and shingles 001.JPG (2.63 MiB) Viewed 52167 times
Baja and shingles 002.JPG
Baja and shingles 002.JPG (2.52 MiB) Viewed 52167 times
oldpro
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by oldpro »

But wasn't it much easier to steer with the front wheels off the ground? :D
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

Yeah REAL light on the steering. Needless to say I stayed off the interstate with this load. FWIW, with the load BEHIND the rear axle, I did try to pick up the front with my hands. Still too heavy. Dennis
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

I did something similar with dirt but folded the back seat down and loaded the seat first, then the front of the bed, then a little to the rear. probably as much if not more weight but better distribution.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

Well, the 12 foot long vinyl soffit, J channel, and aluminum fascia certainly traveled a lot easier. :D Dennis
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

And today's "Baja hauling experience". My older daughter just moved up from a condo to a house. It's moving time and we (I) just picked up a washer and dryer for her.
newest Baja load 001.JPG
newest Baja load 001.JPG (2.61 MiB) Viewed 52084 times
Dennis
Attachments
newest Baja load 001.JPG
newest Baja load 001.JPG (2.61 MiB) Viewed 52084 times
greymud
Scoobytruck Master

Post by greymud »

Sorry, no pics, but took 1200 lbs of old Cat5 to the recycler. It took five trips based on what was removed that day and what fit in the back.
05 NA 5MT
iamwhoiam
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by iamwhoiam »

I just ordered a queen mattress from a shop and will be picking it up next week.
Any tips on how to secure it, I see several people have posted that they have hauled queen mattresses.
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

Depending on how far and how fast. I would get 2 2x4 x 8s (they will fit in the back with the rear seat down and the hatch open). Put the 22x4s on your existing roof rack, and secure the mattress with tie straps to the roof racks, and to the forward end (or both ends) of the 2x4s. This would keep the mattress from blowing up and being damaged. One possibility. Dennis
iamwhoiam
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by iamwhoiam »

ZUBAJA wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:06 am Depending on how far and how fast. I would get 2 2x4 x 8s (they will fit in the back with the rear seat down and the hatch open). Put the 22x4s on your existing roof rack, and secure the mattress with tie straps to the roof racks, and to the forward end (or both ends) of the 2x4s. This would keep the mattress from blowing up and being damaged. One possibility. Dennis
It will be about 25 miles. I might just borrow my inlaws full sized truck to make it safer it they aren't using it when it comes in.
If I can't use their truck this seems like a good idea, I'd read that people had issues with the front lifting.
terayon
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by terayon »

No. 1

2x 12' gates
4x 4' gates
2x 8' 2x6 fir
12x 1x4 shiplap fir

No. 2
10' of 12" cement tube
2x 5 gal bucks
5x steel garden shelving
2x bags of concrete
3x 4x4 8' posts
3x friends ImageImage

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

bajamojo
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by bajamojo »

Hauled 200 bricks today weighing 1100 pounds! Baja didn't complain one bit. Still had spring left; didn't bottom out.