Scoobie-Newbie

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Scoobie-Newbie

Post by Kev M »

God, I'm not sure where to start.

Here's the thing. I've been lucky. I've owned a BUNCH of cars in my life (and more motorcycles) and I've driven HUNDREDS (cause my job used to give me access to the manufacturer press fleets).

Well, I've spent MOST of that time owning trucks. As a matter of fact, the last "CAR" I owned was a 1970 Olds Rallye 350 I bought around 1989 when I was in college.

Since then it was a string of Chevy trucks, a Geo Tracker, and for the past decade, two different Jeeps that I loved. HOWEVER, EVERYTHING I bought was used (except a 1999 Jeep GC).

Meanwhile the women in my life would buy new cars. A Saturn, A Forrester, A Turbo-Beetle, a Mini Cooper S.

Back in 2000 I changed jobs so the company was no longer paying for my Jeep GC and my girlfriend was in DIRE need of a reliable car, I decided to trade in my beloved, extremely capable, luxurious GC on a much more bare-bones Cherokee that I have driven for the past 5 years.

The difference was night and day. The GC, the first year of the WJ body, was actually the most car-like SUVs I'd ever driven (I got one delivered from the press fleet and feel in love with it instantly). It actually handled, could corner reasonably well, but was quiet and comfortable.

The Cherokee (old XJ) was a truck, it reminded me of Tigger (Bouncy-Bouncy-Bouncy, fun-fun-fun). It was tough, it could tow, it could go in snow, but it handled like CRAP and it never let me forget how old tech it was. That and the fact that it was missing all the luxurious toys of the GC always bugged me. Well that, the toys and the fact that although tough, lots of little niggling things broke (like the driver's seat, or the hood release cable, or the rear wiper-washer mount/nozzle or, well, I could go on).

Meanwhile my ex who'd bought that Forrester back in 1998 kept happily rolling along. She'd tow the boat that we co-own (long story, good relationship, happy daughter etc), she'd commute, she'd deal with snow-storms. Well 158k miles later with VERY, VERY few repairs (a couple of CV boots, a maintenance timing belt, the stereo and the clock) and it still looks and runs like new.

So when I started thinking about selling my Jeep, I also started thinking about Scoobie-Doos.

And the more I looked, the more I realized I'd always like the Baja.

In the end it came down to a tough struggle between the new Jeep Compass and the Baja.

I looked EXTENSIVELY at the Compass. Test drove it a couple of times.

and yesterday, after test driving the Compass again, I drove a Baja.

As I turned the wheel the VERY first time to take a turn out of the dealer lot, I KNEW INSTANTLY the difference that would lead to my decision.

I suspect that both vehicles are capable.

However the Baja is tough like a ute, but DRIVES and HANDLES like a car, while even if the Compass is tough, it DRIVES and HANDLES like a Ute (a little tippy, less sure footed in the curves etc).

So I made a deal on a Silver 06 5-speed Baja Sport. They're putting heated leather seats in it tomorrow and I pick it up on Wednesday!

I've got loads of questions, but before I get too carried away asking I'll try to search first.

I've got plans on adding a hard-locking Tonneau, Winter wheels with Blizzaks, a premium stereo package (maybe the Scoobie tweeter and amp/sub-woofer package with an aftermarket tuner), maybe a roof-top cargo carrier for winter/ski trip usage.

Heck, we're even toying with adding a headliner mounted, drop-down DVD system for the kid.

I plan on changing her over to M1 as soon as I break her in (just like we did on the Forrester some 158k miles ago) and enjoying the HECK outta her!!!

If you can't get it from my words, I'm frickin' psyched.

Kev
blubaja03
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by blubaja03 »

Welcome:)
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

Gracias

I just heard back from Ozzbros regarding a hard/locking tonneau.

Looks like it will be in the ballpark of $600 give or take.

I'm thinking that is going to be a high priority purchase.

Kev
stefan
Scoobytruck Master

Post by stefan »

and the insanity begins!!!!! I have had my 03 for 3 months now- And I fall in love every time I get in it to drive!
I always wanted a BRAT, I had a Baja (sold) Now I have an Outback
bajabob
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajabob »

Hello Kev

Glad you enjoy your new toy - they are a lot of fun. Feel free to search around and ask questions there's a lot of good info on the board and in the Baja libary (link near top of page). You might want to get snows on the stock rims (most people hate the stock re 92 tires) and get yourself a set of larger rims for summer. The Ozz cover is well liked around here as is the fiberglass snuglid that I have. Are you the guy that was posting over on the /o/ board?

Bob
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

bajabob wrote:Hello Kev

Glad you enjoy your new toy - they are a lot of fun. Feel free to search around and ask questions there's a lot of good info on the board and in the Baja libary (link near top of page). You might want to get snows on the stock rims (most people hate the stock re 92 tires) and get yourself a set of larger rims for summer. The Ozz cover is well liked around here as is the fiberglass snuglid that I have. Are you the guy that was posting over on the /o/ board?

Bob
I've already read extensively here...

and I've already gone back and called the dealer and told them to install the hitch and the premium sound package (I didn't see alternatives that were THAT much better or cheaper, and I'm feeling lazy).

I already looked a wheels/tires at TireRack, but didn't see anything I particularly liked. Actually, I might wind up getting a set of wheels and powdercoating or painting them black, then installing Blizzaks. But I'll probably have to go through the first winter on the stocks (just because of $$$$).

The Ozzbros cover is on the list of eventual mods, but again, it'll have to wait.

And lastly, I'm PRETTY sure I'm gonna go with an Alpine head unit eventually when I wire her for I-pod and Sirius. By then, her Cherry will be broken enough and I'll be motivated to wrench.

As for the other board? I dunno, which one? Yes, I did ask some Baja questions at another board, and someone pointed me here.

Life is good, can't wait to pick her up later this week!!!

KEv
bajabob
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajabob »

The other board I was talking about was /o/ auto over at 4chan, it can be a wierd place at times but there seams to be a few good characters around.

Bob
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

bajabob wrote:The other board I was talking about was /o/ auto over at 4chan, it can be a wierd place at times but there seams to be a few good characters around.

Bob
Nope, not me...
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

PICKED IT UP LAST NIGHT!!!!

:D :D :D

OMG, I realize I'm preaching to the choir here, but what a great little truck.

I was only living without a car for a week or so, but I couldn't have picked a better night to pick it up since it's in the low 40s and raining and I have to pick my daughter up at school this afternoon. She loves riding the motorcycles, but is gonna be psyched Daddy has a car again.

And honestly, WOW, that's the key. I HAVE A CAR again. Did I say this in my first post, I haven't had a CAR since the late 80s, just a series of trucks, some real POSes and others not so POS, but still.

I'm so happy with the way this vehicle drives and turns. It was dry last night so I got to toss it into some curves and it handles better than any "truck" I've owned, even the very car-like Jeep GC WJ.

I'm also REALLY happy with both the heated leather seats (I'm SO glad I had the dealership add them, we chose a medium-to-dark gray and it goes very well with the rest of the interior), as well as the 7-speaker sound system!

Anyway, I was so excited I had to share!!!

Kev
Packa
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Packa »

How much did the heated seats run, and what company's are they.

I'd love to have those... did they add the switches in the stock Subie location between the seats?

I just got my Subie, but my last car hat tush heaters and I'm thinkin I might miss them.
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

Welcome!

We didn't have any issues with the stock tires in the snow-there's some vids here somewhere of us playing in the snow.

found them:
http://baja.jaxed.com/vid/ice_highway.avi (fyi, the tracks you see are from snowmobiles, not other car/trucks)
http://baja.jaxed.com/vid/baja_dougnuts.avi

They also do well off road-pics around here somewhere also.

here's one:

After owning the Baja nearly two years, we've decided it is more truck than car-trucklette fits. It hauls stuff and does off road (clearance is an issue). It handles speed off road better than our 93 Bronco did-much less floaty-downside is horrible angle of approach and departure that lead to a scraped up bumper and broken splash shield (see thuis thread: viewtopic.php?t=419 )-however we know it's limits now.

Enjoy your Baja!!
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

Packa wrote:How much did the heated seats run, and what company's are they.

I'd love to have those... did they add the switches in the stock Subie location between the seats?

I just got my Subie, but my last car hat tush heaters and I'm thinkin I might miss them.
I think the seats were in the neighborhood of $1500 installed, but I know the dealership must have been making a buck too at that price.

I'll see if I have the brand name of the leather covers when I get home, but basically they installed heating elements and then covered the seats with permanent leather covers designed just for the Baja.

In the back seat that eliminated the mesh pocket on the seatback, right above the cup-holder/storage tray, but the design still has the pockets to place the seat belts into when you fold the seat down. I'm very happy with the quality.

They installed two rocker switches into the center console, but they are small round rockers, so they put them in a new spot, just in front of the parking brake handle, to the right of the spot where the OE switches would go.

I can take and post some pics if you'd like.

Yellowblaze - great shot. I always LOVED the Yellow Baja, and that would have been my first choice of colors if they still made em!

I've only got 200 miles on it so far, but absolutely love it.

She's a lot quieter and much more comfortable than our Mini (and light years ahead of the comfort in our old Jeep XJ), so I can't wait for our first road trip.

Kev
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

UPDATE with gratuitous pics

Only have about 1500 miles on her so far, but she's breaking in nicely. Hasn't burnt a DROP of oil and is only giving me about 22-23 mpg right now (in mostly mixed driving conditions, but I have to admit, anytime I've had her on the highway I've not really kept it below 75+ so that's probably not the best way to get the best mileage).

So far I love it.