AWD Noise?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

mikey6331
Scoobytruck Contributer

AWD Noise?

Post by mikey6331 »

Today, I drove my Baja for the first time with the midgate open, but the bedcover closed (wanted to get the A/C into the bed, so the plants I bought wouldn't fry...anyway...). I noticed that whenever I accelerated, there was a distinct whooshing noise coming from the bed area of the car. Never noticed this before with the gate and back seat closed. It's almost like a turbo noise, but obviously not, since that's in the front. :-)

Could it be the AWD shifting to the rear wheels for acceleration traction? If that's it, I'm surprised at how noisy it is - I could clearly hear it over the stereo and with the A/C fan on full blast. Has anyone else noticed this, and does anyone know whether or not it is normal? The car is new, so I'm not accustomed to all its noises yet.

tks,
-Mike
stefan
Scoobytruck Master

Post by stefan »

I don't have the turbo so I'm not sure how that should sound- I have driven with the midgate open and was amazed at how LOUD it was!
I always wanted a BRAT, I had a Baja (sold) Now I have an Outback
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Prolly the exhaust making noise, you just can't hear it with the gate up and seatback in place. Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.
chicken n waffles
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by chicken n waffles »

you have gerbils living in your exhaust
-Ben
'05 Baja Turbo M/T
Atlantic Blue