I found a place that sells caps for the Baja!

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

MISCLAIMS

I found a place that sells caps for the Baja!

Post by MISCLAIMS »

Hi Everyone! Im new to the forum. I have 03 Red Baja and love it! Best little truck in the world for my needs! Had an Outback before that but always loved the Brats as a kid. So when they came out with the Baja-- I had to have it. Anyway-- if anyone is looking for a cap for the truck- check out this link-- http://www.4are.com/product/baja/specifications.php

I ran into a guy who owns the crabhouse here in town and he got a cap for his to protect the crabs from the heat when he's transporting them. It looks pretty cool... I may get one to put on mine for the winter. The tonneau cover can be a real pain, especially in the cold-- hurts my fingers but the cap maybe a good alternative to that!

Anyway-- enjoy those baja's!
autumnmist83
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by autumnmist83 »

Welcome to the group!!
I own a 05 blue baja
chicken n waffles
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by chicken n waffles »

please don't cap your baja.

:cry:
-Ben
'05 Baja Turbo M/T
Atlantic Blue
mellowyellow
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by mellowyellow »

I'll be driving topless for the next few weeks - maybe into october... then I'll cap it for the winter... gotta love the versatility.

here it is capped for a camping trip...

I too have the A.R.E. truck cap and lovin' it.

Enjoy!
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Post by davecoon13 »

How hard is it to remove this cap and put it back on?

I was considering the Ozzbros Tourneau hard cover, but for only a few hundred more, I can get this 4ARE cap.

Can the cap be easily removed and re-installed? I have heard from friends with pickup caps that it is a pain to remove and re-install the cap.

I beleive the ARE dealer said that they use a quick disconnect to tie into the dome light/brake lights of this cap. Does that part work OK?

If I really wanted a cap, I might have gotten an Outback station wagon...but I am still researching caps...

I was quoted a cheaper price on the ARE cap than I was on the Penda cover.

Does the cap screw into the existing torx screws in the Baja Bed?

Can the cap ride with the tailgate down and the bed exender in place (I take it the rear glass would have to be lowered)?
mellowyellow
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by mellowyellow »

How hard is it to remove this cap and put it back on? Surprisingly easy

I was considering the Ozzbros Tourneau hard cover, but for only a few hundred more, I can get this 4ARE cap. I heard the Ozzbros has a slight water leakage problem as with other covers - my A.R.E. hasn't leaked yet ... another nice thing about the truck cap is the extra height.

Can the cap be easily removed and re-installed? I have heard from friends with pickup caps that it is a pain to remove and re-install the cap. The A.R.E. cap is easy to remove only four screws and disconnect the power supply to the break light - simple... the cap is light also... i'm a small guy computer geek (lacking great strength) me and my equally strength impaired wife are able to remove and carry the cap... storing the cap somewhere safe is my only concern.

I beleive the ARE dealer said that they use a quick disconnect to tie into the dome light/brake lights of this cap. Does that part work OK?

If I really wanted a cap, I might have gotten an Outback station wagon...but I am still researching caps... With the Baja you have the option of removing the cap... for extra tall items... it also has a hard vinyl water proof bed cover... that won't be damaged by snow/water... it can be hosed down... can't do that with an outback.

I was quoted a cheaper price on the ARE cap than I was on the Penda cover.

Does the cap screw into the existing torx screws in the Baja Bed? Not sure my Baja Sport came with the cap... so i'm not sure if those holes were already in place or had to be drilled... I'm sure the A.R.E. rep could find out for you... I can tell you being a computer art geek - I didn't have the tools to remove the cap ... had a carpenter friend assist me in figuring out what tools I needed - Allen wrench... I now own my first set of Allen wenches - whoa-who.

Can the cap ride with the tailgate down and the bed exender in place (I take it the rear glass would have to be lowered)?Not sure
stefan
Scoobytruck Master

Post by stefan »

Ohhh the agony- I would love a cap like that- But it takes away the look of the baja- What to do- I have the Subbie Factory Vinyl Tonnuea- and it is ok- But I miss the LEER 700 series Hard top I had on my Dakota-
mellowyellow
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by mellowyellow »

stefan wrote:Ohhh the agony- I would love a cap like that- But it takes away the look of the baja- What to do- I have the Subbie Factory Vinyl Tonnuea- and it is ok- But I miss the LEER 700 series Hard top I had on my Dakota-
Form follows function ... you get more Baja with the cap ... and you can always take it off!
WallyGator
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by WallyGator »

I have been considering this for the snowfall moonths. I've been getting quotes from $1500 to $2000 for the cap. What price did you get?
W
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Post by davecoon13 »

I could have got it in 2003 for $875, but now I am being quoted $1200
deejjjaaaa
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by deejjjaaaa »

davecoon13 wrote:I could have got it in 2003 for $875, but now I am being quoted $1200
hmmm... I tried to call our local dealer and was quoted like $1700 + tax... - are we talking about that 4ARE Z-series cap for Subaru Baja ?
Baja '05 Turbo/Auto, atlantic blue pearl
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Post by davecoon13 »

Every time I call I get a different quote. Most recently I was quoted $1700 from the ARE Dealer. I am guessing that 4ARE makes only one cap for the Baja?
stefan
Scoobytruck Master

Post by stefan »

I don't know- there website offers little help- I talked to one of the Local ARE dealers- He said they are special order only- and he would get back to me with a quote (they never did) Still not sure if I like or hate the cap???? My factory Subbie tonnoue cover support rib is defective- the tightening nylon strap was cut through by the edge of the support rib!!!! Arrrhh it is only 3 weeks old- and the salesman seems to be "out" of the dealership everyttime I call!!!!
I always wanted a BRAT, I had a Baja (sold) Now I have an Outback
Eric
Scoobytruck Lurker

Once mounted, the caps are great... BUT

Post by Eric »

I had a helluva time. The Baja caps are a speciality item, and was the best solution to carry expensive 17 and 20 foot long sea kayaks on my 06 Baja - the spread on the factory rack isn't quite long enough to safely carry these boats at highway speeds for long distances. Plus the cap is better for transporting my dog. I tie a dog-crate down inside the cap, using Yakima straps, criss-crossing the straps over the top of a crate, it holds solidly.

NOTE:
Choose your ARE dealer with care. Also, the canopy is of great quality but once it's on I've been told it's best not to remove it.

Here's a synopsis of my canopy story.

I had to wait a few weeks for delivery. I was told factory would install Yakima Tracks rack system

A few days later, the dealership said the factory couldn't install the rack so I had to waste time, running around to find a place that would install the rack.

A few days later, the ARE area manager contacted me by email and said the factory could install the rack, sorry for the inconvenience and they would give me the rack system for no charge. Seemed a nice enough fella!

Canopy arrived at dealer with no rack.

Team of kids tried to install the rack. They drilled the roof and screwed it up, and installed a broken lock. Not only was the rack put on askew, there was a three inch difference from the front of the rack to the rear (defeated the purpose of the Track-system), but all of the workmanship was piss-poor. This took all day... ALL DAY.

Communicated with area manager. He said the canopy would be replaced with the tracks installed at the factory and I would get a new canopy. I asked him to recommend another ARE dealer.

Canopy was shipped with no tracks. ARE Rep found out and told them to turn the truck around and install the tracks. More delay

Canopy with Yakima Tracks installed arrived at different dealer, I had to take a morning off work (long story) to get this done. Dealer #2 employed adults, seemed competent, and they installed the canopy. Their workmanship was better than the performance at the previous jungle gym.

The whole thing took about two months.

If you do install Yakima Tracks for sea kayaks, it's a little more expensive to buy the mounts (that attach to the rack) that hold the saddles (which hold the boat). The Tracks rack is a different technology from the rack on the roof of the car - you need to buy both sets (twice as many racks than you need). However, if you install all four racks, you will be able to carry home that 4x8 piece of plywood from the hardware store)!

Here's a photo of the canopy. I took off the kayak rack because I was on a road trip, the kayak rack does affect fuel consumption
http://fridgefoto.biz/06_baja_canopy.jpg

For my comments on a sea kayaking rack, see this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=614

Eric
Sunny West Seattle, the land that time forgot.
stefan
Scoobytruck Master

Post by stefan »

Jeeze Eric you have the patience of a Saint!!!! I had a hassle with my hard top leer 700 series on my Dakota- The dealer was awesome- Leer Rep left a bit to be desired- till his boss found out- they ended up giving me a new lid (after the lock and the weather stripping fell off the old 3 month old one!)
I always wanted a BRAT, I had a Baja (sold) Now I have an Outback