Shifter noise

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Spacinjasman
Scoobytruck Contributer

Shifter noise

Post by Spacinjasman »

Hey all- I have an '06 Baja Turbo MT 8k. Lately I've notice a vibration/rattle when shifting from 1'st to 2'nd gear (noise happens only during that shift). It sounds like the shifter itself or something in that area. I cannot seem to isolate it :( . I did have the shifter console replaced recently (replaced under warranty as the paint was coming off of it ). Anyone have a clue or idea as to what it might be :?:? It's not that annoying of a sound, but I notice it and it didn't do it when new, nor did it start immedietely after console replacement. How difficult is it to remove the shift console so I can look in there? Thanks in advance for any replies!
Spacinjason
'06 Baja Turbo MT
'06 Silver Baja Turbo MT
brujah
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by brujah »

The plastic trim ring around the shifter is actually pretty easy to remove. First, unscrew the shift knob (it's attached to the shift boot, so it won't come off by itself). Grab a fistfull of the trim ring at the back, and pull up slowly. It has four clips, two front, two rear. It may take a bit of force to remove, but as long as you pull on a wide surface area it won't damage it.

If you are hearing more noise than usual, perhaps when the dealer had it apart, they forgot to re-install some sound deadening material?
2005 turbo - WRX intercooler, Samco hoses, GFB bov, 3" Helix catless downpipe, 2.5" SS CatBackEx, front and rear skidplates(for rocks and logs), Westin safari bar, lots of Hella 500's