New Baja Owner

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Scoob43
Scoobytruck Lurker

New Baja Owner

Post by Scoob43 »

Hey everyone

I just got a new 05 baja turbo for the wife....Its a great little car wit some power..Just wanted to say Hi and see if there is anything i should be looking out for down the road...Ive been reading some threads here and there but just wanted to see if anyone had any tips for me...Like the oil i do all of my oil changes on my SpecV...But what type of oil should i be putting in there?? i want full Syn but whats a good brand for the BAJA T?? And also (Sorry :oops:) But is there a FSM book on this car on the net???

Thanks
holland_patrick
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by holland_patrick »

I've used Mobil one in mine after the first oil change. Which is most likly the best for ease of finding it. Also I just replaced my Diff/trany fluid with Amsol. The place that did it Suggested the rear be changed every 10,000 because of how little fluid is in there and the amount of heat that is generated. I changed it at 15k and they said it was VERY black coming out. This is something everyone should do quickly.
Atomic Baja
Scoobytruck Contributer

New Sticky?

Post by Atomic Baja »

There seems to be a good piece of advice there. Should a Sticky (non comment thread) be started for good tips like this so they can all be in place?
Mr. Jalapeño
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Mr. Jalapeño »

Thanks for the tip, holland!
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Re: New Sticky?

Post by jaxed »

Atomic Baja wrote:There seems to be a good piece of advice there. Should a Sticky (non comment thread) be started for good tips like this so they can all be in place?
http://scoobytruck.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=2196#2196

Let's give it a shot!
Scoob43
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Scoob43 »

holland_patrick wrote:I've used Mobil one in mine after the first oil change. Which is most likly the best for ease of finding it. Also I just replaced my Diff/trany fluid with Amsol. The place that did it Suggested the rear be changed every 10,000 because of how little fluid is in there and the amount of heat that is generated. I changed it at 15k and they said it was VERY black coming out. This is something everyone should do quickly.
hey thanks

Moble one was what i first in my car then switched to royal purple...Should i just stick wit the moble1? the rear be changed??? what rear tran fluid are u talking about or is there something i dunno??? yea amsol is what i put in my moms civic and it seems to be doing good...Hows it working wit yrs do u have stick or auto???
seenahyena
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by seenahyena »

holland_patrick wrote:I've used Mobil one in mine after the first oil change. Which is most likly the best for ease of finding it. Also I just replaced my Diff/trany fluid with Amsol. The place that did it Suggested the rear be changed every 10,000 because of how little fluid is in there and the amount of heat that is generated. I changed it at 15k and they said it was VERY black coming out. This is something everyone should do quickly.
Isn't the service interval supposed to be 30K for those fluids ?

I guess I'm just skeptical because I am not aware of any new vehicle sold today that would require a diff/tranny fluid changes every 10K. Many new cars are made to be serviced at the 100,000 mile mark.
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

I changed my auto trans fluid at 20,000 miles, but that is because I had just bought the Baja, and wanted new fluid in it. The rest of the fluids, front and rear diff, came out at 40,000. None of them looked bad, they were a bit black, but still had the old diff fluid stink, so I figure thats ok. I will change them all again at about 60,000, because I am towing my ATV around, and that is a bit of work for the Baja. I usually change all those fluids about every 30,000 miles, I figure that it is cheap insurance to keep breaddowns and probs to a minumum. Mike
Scoob43
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Scoob43 »

OK so ive been cing that everyone is talking bout front and rear??? Im new to trucks but when i change the tranny fluid is that all i have to change??....That ill change about 15,000 since it a lazy mans stick....But just wanted to know :D
holland_patrick
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by holland_patrick »

Any time you put powewr to the wheels is needs to be Lubed up. SO the front is covered with the frontdiff/transmission all in one unit. The rear has a pumkin back there that is the rear end diff. Yes I know the book says 30k but with the stuff I lug around I figured better to be safe then sorry. I have pretty much changed my diff/trany/transfur case in the jeep every year and that is going well over 200k and 11 years now that is staying power. Ya i did pay someone to do it but why should i deal with disposile..

PS the amsol seems to be working fine
Scoob43
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Scoob43 »

Cool thanks...One other question How come i never get any emails saying that someone replied to the post?? i clicked yes i do want to but ive never have??
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

We use royal purple in the scoob and the 00 stang, seems to work well for both.

How hard was the diff fluid change? I havent looked closely at the diffs yet....Patrick, you said the front is the tranny (& tranny filter?)& diff? Is there a transfer case? This AWD vs 4X4 is a bit confusing....
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Hey Scoob43, make sure when you post that the box that says "Notify Me When a Reply Is Posted" box is checked, then you will get an e-mail when someone replys. Mike
Scoob43
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Scoob43 »

yellowblaze wrote:We use royal purple in the scoob and the 00 stang, seems to work well for both.

How hard was the diff fluid change? I havent looked closely at the diffs yet....Patrick, you said the front is the tranny (& tranny filter?)& diff? Is there a transfer case? This AWD vs 4X4 is a bit confusing....
Aight cool thanks...Yea me to im coming from a front wheel drive car to an AWD...So its confusing me as well..Just want to get as much inof as i can so when i do change it ill know whats up....

mbaksic wrote:Hey Scoob43, make sure when you post that the box that says "Notify Me When a Reply Is Posted" box is checked, then you will get an e-mail when someone replys. Mike
Yea i do but still get no replys :cry:

Another question has anyone retro fitted HID projectors in there baja...Not just get those crappy hid kit...But projectors in there houseing?? Im thinking of doing it to my wifes car as well but its just to much work...Plus the 05 headlight have a different hi/low location..the only problem i might have is the high is right below the low so i dunno if i can fit a projector of anykind single or bi-xenon projector.....
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by jaxed »

Scoob43 wrote:
Yea i do but still get no replys :cry:
I'm gonna wager the email is getting filtered by your server - it might be mis-recognized as spam.