Bed Covers

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

The lock latch plate is the only way to hold the cover down so it doesn't come off when driving. I suppose you could engineer something else if you wanted to. It doesn't bother me either that its on the tailgate, I just remember not to sit on it.
Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.
steven765
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: snug top parts wearing out??

Post by steven765 »

bajabob wrote:
Highlander wrote:another question I posted a few pages back was to ask if there were replacement parts available - someone had posted their snug top fixture pieces had worn. never received replies??
I do like the looks - if you go to snug top website you used to be able to get a $20 savings coupon!!
That would be me, and I'm still waiting for the dealer ship to get back to me. They are having trouble finding the correct parts numbers for the seals.

Bob

My snug lid seals wore as well. They really used cheap rubber. I just called snug lid direct and they sent me a new set underwarranty.
Newscutter
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Bed Covers

Post by Newscutter »

Any idea who makes the cover on this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-B ... dZViewItem
SCF
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by SCF »

Snuglid
speedymatt
Scoobytruck Master

Post by speedymatt »

Newscutter wrote:Any idea who makes the cover on this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-B ... dZViewItem
penda. it was a very short lived dealer option. search the site for penda and youll find pics and then be sad that it isn't for sale.

SCF, the snuglid comes over the bed rail the penda rests in the rail, like the ozz bros, but manages water much better.
SCF
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by SCF »

thanks...I wuz cornfuuzed.
Newscutter
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Newscutter »

Humph.

I've been tinkering with making my own cover-- but was surprised to see this one was a single piece. I kinda figured those chrome bed bars necessitated a two piece approach.

You'd think with the normal rate of attrition (accidents/mechanical) there would be surplus bed covers showing up in junkyards/online at greatly reduced costs-- but I've never seen them.

I'll have to poke around for a Penda... maybe I'll get lucky!
Danfzzl
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Danfzzl »

Check it out! i just got and installed my new Ozzbros cover a few days ago and here are some pics! [smilie=666.gif]

Image]

here is everything it comes with... instructions, 4 new bolts to bolt the strike plate on the tailgate, and 2 keys

here is the strike plate screwed onto the bottom of the large deck

the lock itself on the inside of the large deck

there are pretty large creases in the leather in the corners, this could lead to some slight leaking but im not worried about it

the plastic flap goes underneath the small deck

strike plate mounted

Finished product!

this took probably a total of 30 minutes to install 100%. It looks great and is very sturdy when locked. i highly recommend the strike plate opposed to the self tapping screws... it makes it a lot easier and cleaner. although at $100 is incredibly overpriced... i would have much rather made it myself. it looks great though... anybody who would possibly want to make their own i can supply very detailed pictures of the strike plate itself... it looks incredibly cheap and easy to make.
Last edited by Danfzzl on Wed May 20, 2009 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan
http://theravensedge.com/
Baja Mods: Class 1 hitch, Dash light conversion to blue, Ozzbros bed cover, 2 Hella 500 Fog lights Mounted on front bumped bracket
YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by YBajaSteve »

awesome pics dan. now I really wish i could have intervened my wife's surprise birthday gift to me, the stock Subaru soft cover.... :(
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
Danfzzl
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Danfzzl »

lol yeah i almost got that same cover, but i did some research and i chose the Ozzbros one... how is that stock cover Steve?
Dan
Baja Mods: Class 1 hitch, Dash light conversion to blue, Ozzbros bed cover, 2 Hella 500 Fog lights Mounted on front bumped bracket
YBajaSteve

Post by YBajaSteve »

Well I like the way it looks, tho it was a pain in the butt to install, and drilling holes in my bed was no fun either. And just like everyone had mentioned, the handles on the corners rip way to easy, I think mine was installed for about 3 months and i accidently ripped the handle while opening it. They just need to be sewn better. I plan on taking mine somewhere to have a thicker piece of vinyl sewn all the way around and then making those handles a bit stronger. I Like that i can roll it up for on the fly hauling of whatever tho, compared to the ozzbros one. Thats probably the only 1/2 a point better aspect of the stock soft cover.
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
corgimas
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by corgimas »

Danfzzl wrote: Image
did you get to choose the lime green???would rather straight black or silver.....hmmmm........
Kites Kayaks & Corgis
Danfzzl
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Danfzzl »

corgimas wrote:
Danfzzl wrote: Image
did you get to choose the lime green???would rather straight black or silver.....hmmmm........
There was no choice, the lock and lock cover is silver... the green you see it the reflection of a tree that is right next to my driveway lol
Dan
YBajaSteve

Post by YBajaSteve »

lol, the reflection! good deal, lime green would not match your truck in the least bit.
SCF
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by SCF »

Did you have any issues lining up the strike plate with the lock? I can't seem to get mine to line up, short of climbing in and doing it via flashlight. Downside there is that my wife and kids would most likely LEAVE it locked and walk away. :lol: