Bed Covers

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Bed Covers

Post by davecoon13 »

There are several methods to install the strike plate that I used when I had the Ozzbros. I installed it a few times because I had to remove the strike plate occasionally to haul flat loads across the open tailgate.

You can either open the passthrough and climb inside with a flashlight, or another method is to lock the strike plate to the cover. Remove existing bed screws to tailgate, then with the help of an assistant (wife, girlfriend, friend, etc) hold the cover with locked strike plate at a 90° angle (maybe it is like 70° actually) from the open tailgate and screw in the strike plate that way. Or you can loosely secure the strikeplate to the open tailgate, then lock the cover onto the open tailgate by holding at a 90° angle (maybe it is like 70° actually), force the tailgate closed wtih attached cover, align, then tighten screws.
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT
"Capped" with A.R.E. Topper
Danfzzl
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Danfzzl »

SCF wrote:Did you have any issues lining up the strike plate with the lock? I can't seem to get mine to line up, short of climbing in and doing it via flashlight. Downside there is that my wife and kids would most likely LEAVE it locked and walk away. :lol:
i bought that optional plate that just bolts onto my tailgate... and i couldn't get it to line up either... i had to put some shims under the strike plate on the tailgaite and it works perfectly now!
Dan
http://theravensedge.com/
Baja Mods: Class 1 hitch, Dash light conversion to blue, Ozzbros bed cover, 2 Hella 500 Fog lights Mounted on front bumped bracket
Hints1037
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Hints1037 »

I bought my baja a couple years ago and installed the soft cover for it myself. It worked out ok at first but over time began to wear at the corners and ends. The plastic stripping that holds the thing down was a huge pain to deal with. It just became extremely chewed up over time from friends putting it on wrong or whatever.The plastic piece in between the bars was a pain to deal with as well. People were always sitting on it and it really just takes up lots of your bed space. Recently i just became fed up with the whole cover in general. If shopping for a cover i'd only suggest the soft cover if you dont use the bed much and keep the cover on... which is pretty much pointless.

Ive had the idea for a while to make a custom cover for it which i think is pretty unique. Its going to be attached at the back of the roof right above the tail/bed light. It'll basically follow that plastic piece down to the sides of the rear window and slope down to the tailgate. So im really just turning it into a removable hatch back. The majority of the cover will have to be clear vinyl so i can see out the back, but i think it'll look sweet. Plus i can just use snaps on the existing metal piece i installed for the previous cover and the whole thing should be water tight. Im excited to get it done, ill post some pics when i get it.
Danfzzl
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Danfzzl »

Dude that sounds SWEEEEEEEEEEEET [smilie=666.gif] im pumped to see what it looks like.
Dan
Baja Mods: Class 1 hitch, Dash light conversion to blue, Ozzbros bed cover, 2 Hella 500 Fog lights Mounted on front bumped bracket
Danfzzl
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Danfzzl »

Hey i have an Ozzbros cover and i recently went on a trip to Utah... after taking the cover off repeatedly and leaning it against the car there is a small, maybe half inch tear in the front right corner... i was wondering if anybody knew of the best kit to repair it with... thanks
Dan
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

OzzBros Bed Cover Lock

Post by jaxed »

My OzzBros lock is broken (my fault, I managed to close the bed real hard when the lock was engaged). Anyway, I'm going to contact OzzBros to see if I can get a new lock - but I found this in my search - a request from OzzBros:
We are interested in purchasing a Jimmy-proof deadbolt lock similar to or exactly model DJ100A as manufactured by Minghui Lock Co. , LTD in Ningbo, China. We include these locks as an OEM lock for a pickup bed cover we manufacture in the USA - that is shipped nationally and internationally. We have bought several types of these locks over the past four years and find the double set screw design much superior to other offerings. We would appreciate hearing from anyone either States side or any verifiable location that we can coninuously buy from.
So it looks like the lock they use for their covers is a "Minghui DJ100A".

I'm posting this for reference only.
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Post by davecoon13 »

I had a post long back here I replaced mine with a JimmyProof design from Home Depot. Just measure the size of the lock and go to Lowes or Home Depot, they had many very similar designs. I found one that matched the strike plate exactly. The only difference was that the key was a Kwikset Style rather than the Schlage style that came with my Ozzbros. Just make sure to get one with a knob inside instead of a keyway on both sides.

If I recall, Just three or four screws hold the lock to the underside. It was painless to swap it out.
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by jaxed »

Thanks Dave, I had forgot about those details in that thread.

I found a JimmyProof lock at ACE ($16.99), and it is a perfect match, although brass in color. I was even able to keep the same keyway/keyset - so it looks the same from the outside.

I got an email response from OzzBros and they want $35+$10 s&h for a new lock. Ouch.

Here is the JimmyProof:

davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Post by davecoon13 »

I bought my Ozzbros second hand, but the lock that came with my Ozzbros was a flat black. It got scratched up from cargo that slided around, and It looked as though it was Brass at one time that had been spray painted a flat black. If you really wanted to, you could paint it a flat black.
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT
Danfzzl
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Danfzzl »

Hey check this out, today i was driving to work and saw a Baja with a cap on it! So i had to go take some pictures of it... also i found another Baja in a lows parking lot and pulled up next to it and it had a custom diamond plate bed cover! pretty freakin sweet!!! [smilie=666.gif]

Dan
corgimas
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by corgimas »

the diamond plate is frootloopingly gorgeous!!!!
the ARE cap...that has been discussed on these forums a bit.....not my style......you gotta make friends with those two bajas and find out more on the diamond plate cover!!!!
Kites Kayaks & Corgis
Danfzzl
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Danfzzl »

i gotta see if i can find them again... unless that was the same Baja with the cover and the cap... there is an unusually high concentration of Bajas in the city i live in. There is a whopping total of like 5 lol but i see one about once a week... I've been keeping a lookout for that yellow one though
Dan
slagman
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by slagman »

Does anyone have the snug lid? I beleive its an option when you buy the car. I am trying to find out where I can buy the rubber seals or gaskets that connect from the roll bar to the snug lid. Thanks.
slagman
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by slagman »

nevermind, just ordered them for $130 from the manufacturer, ouch.
Danfzzl
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Danfzzl »

slagman wrote:nevermind, just ordered them for $130 from the manufacturer, ouch.
ouch for sure!
Dan