Maybe someone knows.

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

harleyjohn45
Scoobytruck Contributer

Maybe someone knows.

Post by harleyjohn45 »

Still working on the Baja and ran across a sensor, controller or a relay that is broken. It sits just below the AC compressor and alternator, it has a 2 pin connector and 2 rubber lines. It has markings NOK and in another place 5X01. It's held to the engine with a single cap screw. One of the tube connectors is broken. I can't fine anything on it.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Maybe someone knows.

Post by kamesama980 »

What year and engine would help as there are several available. As the saying goes, a picture's worth a thousand words.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
harleyjohn45
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by harleyjohn45 »

kamesama980 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:39 am What year and engine would help as there are several available. As the saying goes, a picture's worth a thousand words.
Thanks Russell: It's a 2006 turbo. I found the part at autozone, It's a fuel sensor. I've been down with the flu and pneumonia for the last couple weeks, so I've been off line. I'm having trouble finding the coolant lines that go to the inter cooler. Actually Rock Auto has a lot, but they don't have these 2 plastic hoses.
Thanks again
John

I'm still trying to get familiar with my 35 sensors. :D
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

harleyjohn45 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:53 am
kamesama980 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:39 am What year and engine would help as there are several available. As the saying goes, a picture's worth a thousand words.
Thanks Russell: It's a 2006 turbo. I found the part at autozone, It's a fuel sensor. I've been down with the flu and pneumonia for the last couple weeks, so I've been off line. I'm having trouble finding the coolant lines that go to the inter cooler. Actually Rock Auto has a lot, but they don't have these 2 plastic hoses.
Thanks again
John

ick, you stay over there or I douse you with lysol! Had to think about that a while... it must be part of the EVAP system.

There aren't any coolant lines to the intercooler. just air pipes. The PCV (crankcase/valve cover ventilation) hoses are mounted to the front of the intercooler but aren't plumbed to it.
-Russell
03 sport 5mt
harleyjohn45
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by harleyjohn45 »

kamesama980 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:47 am
Thanks again
John

ick, you stay over there or I douse you with lysol! Had to think about that a while... it must be part of the EVAP system.

There aren't any coolant lines to the intercooler. just air pipes. The PCV (crankcase/valve cover ventilation) hoses are mounted to the front of the intercooler but aren't plumbed to it.
Makes sense, because they were both cracked, but were not leaking. Couldn't figure that out. I'm still down but should be able to work on the vehicle again after The first week of February.
Thanks but hang on to the lysol.
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

harleyjohn45 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:43 pm

Thanks again
John

Makes sense, because they were both cracked, but were not leaking. Couldn't figure that out. I'm still down but should be able to work on the vehicle again after The first week of February.
Are they to the pipe that goes along the front edge of the IC? hose on either end to the valve cover and one in the center to I forget? those are the PCV hoses. that'll cause a vacuum leak but no liquid leakage.
-Russell
03 sport 5mt
harleyjohn45
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by harleyjohn45 »

kamesama980 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:13 pm
harleyjohn45 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:43 pm

Are they to the pipe that goes along the front edge of the IC? hose on either end to the valve cover and one in the center to I forget? those are the PCV hoses. that'll cause a vacuum leak but no liquid leakage.
That's them, It's a shame that I can't get new ones. I thought the hoses were all like new, they were all shined up, but as I took them off they are all cracked. good source for CIL alert's. You should be able to get parts for a 13 YO vehicle. I will wrap the cracks with electrical tape and put a clamp on them.
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

MIL: malfunction indicator light.
CEL: Check engine light
if you start mixing and matching letters, you'll confuse people.

You can use any fuel/oil/emissions related hose the right size. there's very little pressure/vacuum in them.

tire shine, dash shine, rubber wetter, etc are for looks at best and some will make the problem worse by causing dryrot/cracks. I hate (almost as much as I hate rust) to open the hood and see a bunch of oily-shiny looking hoses and plastics in the engine bay. That and my hands break out in hives if I get many kinds on them and by the time I notice symptoms the damage is done and I have 2 months of itching, crusting, then peeling to look forward to :( Some oil common to them and certain gun cleaners but not brake clean, simple green, or mineral spirits. I'm guessing some component that causes it to stay wet looking/greasy for long periods
-Russell
03 sport 5mt
harleyjohn45
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by harleyjohn45 »

kamesama980 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:46 am MIL: malfunction indicator light.
CEL: Check engine light
if you start mixing and matching letters, you'll confuse people.

You can use any fuel/oil/emissions related hose the right size. there's very little pressure/vacuum in them.

tire shine, dash shine, rubber wetter, etc are for looks at best and some will make the problem worse by causing dryrot/cracks. I hate (almost as much as I hate rust) to open the hood and see a bunch of oily-shiny looking hoses and plastics in the engine bay. That and my hands break out in hives if I get many kinds on them and by the time I notice symptoms the damage is done and I have 2 months of itching, crusting, then peeling to look forward to :( Some oil common to them and certain gun cleaners but not brake clean, simple green, or mineral spirits. I'm guessing some component that causes it to stay wet looking/greasy for long periods

I guess I need to learn the lingo. When I typed CIL, I meant to type CEL. I suppose all dealers polish under the hood of used cars, I, like you, would prefer they don't. I have some rust, not really bad, the Baja spent 2 years in Mass. The bad was, those 2 years were 2007 & 2008. The only parts rusted were parts that were never painted. All painted surfaces look great. I took an air scaler and removed all the loose crust. As soon as I get a little more strength I plan to paint everything with Ospho and after that's cured put enamel on everything. I also bought some rattle can undercoat, here in NM we don't have rust, so if I can stop what I have I should be good.
joedavex
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by joedavex »

When I pulled the engine out to do head gaskets on my 05 turbo I bought a bunch of silicone hose in various sizes from Amazon. I changed any cracked lines with the hose and it's been working great for the last 20k.
IMG_20190408_141901.jpg
IMG_20190408_141901.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 6079 times
Gray 05 Turbo AT
Silver 04 Turbo AT
Black 04 Turbo AT
and assorted other vehicles....
harleyjohn45
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by harleyjohn45 »

Joe it looks like the 2 steel lines to the inter cooler, the one in the rear appears to not be connected or it is blocked off.
harleyjohn45
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by harleyjohn45 »

It upsets me that you can't buy hoses for the Baja, and we have to cobble something together.
joedavex
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by joedavex »

harleyjohn45 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:26 pm Joe it looks like the 2 steel lines to the inter cooler, the one in the rear appears to not be connected or it is blocked off.
Harleyjohn, yes, the picture was taken during assembly, they all ended up getting connected prior to finishing up. The only easy access pic I had (short of going outside and taking another) was my assembly library. Thanks!
Gray 05 Turbo AT
Silver 04 Turbo AT
Black 04 Turbo AT
and assorted other vehicles....