Working on my 06 Turbo "Patches"

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Roamingromans
Scoobytruck Lurker

Working on my 06 Turbo "Patches"

Post by Roamingromans »

So I bought an '03 Baja Sport (228k miles)earlier this year, with the intention of lifting it, only to later realize the body was a bit too rusty for me to feel comfortable offroading it. We fized the critical rust issues then gifted it to my retired father who always wanted one. For those curious, the rust repair photos can be found here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ymqqGNXaStQEDyu38

This let to me looking some more and finding "Patches", our 2006 Baja Turbo Auto with 144k miles on it. It had some cosmetic body damage, but no rust.... It wasn't till after the 3 hour drive to purchase it, and a week at the mechanic did we realize what we had gotten ourselves into. With over 10 hours in road trips, we sources parts to replace the turbo, transmission, and do an EJ20X swap. Last week we finally got the lift kit installed (2/2.5" SLO kit), and with that finished the last of our major work on Patches for 2019.

Future projects for her are mainly going to be limited to wiring in the light bar and installing skid plates as well as mounting plates in the rear for recovery equipment.

Additional pictures of the bed rack install: https://photos.app.goo.gl/763VRDsXY9cDMtrv7
The rack was something I had a very specific requirement of. I wanted to be able to haul full 4' x 8' sheets of plywood as well as construction lumber and materials to an off-grid cabin. This does the job quite nicely.
Attachments
baja.jpg
baja.jpg (315.31 KiB) Viewed 3465 times
joedavex
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Working on my 06 Turbo "Patches"

Post by joedavex »

Thanks for the pictures on doing the rust repairs on the doglegs inside the doors. That's a great job. Did you fab the sheetmetal yourself or did you cut pieces out of junk cars?
I've got that rust issue on 2 of my Bajas and trying to get up the courage to work on it.
Joe
Gray 05 Turbo AT
Silver 04 Turbo AT
Black 04 Turbo AT
and assorted other vehicles....
Roamingromans
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Roamingromans »

joedavex wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:09 pm Thanks for the pictures on doing the rust repairs on the doglegs inside the doors. That's a great job. Did you fab the sheetmetal yourself or did you cut pieces out of junk cars?
I've got that rust issue on 2 of my Bajas and trying to get up the courage to work on it.
Joe
We fabbed the pieces ourselves, and it consisted mostly of cutting pieces to kinda sorta fit, then lots of hammering into place. The best part was 95% of it was going to be hidden anyhow, so we were able to make things "good enough" to save it, but not "show car perfect"
catzodellamarina
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by catzodellamarina »

joedavex wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:09 pm Thanks for the pictures on doing the rust repairs on the doglegs inside the doors. That's a great job. Did you fab the sheetmetal yourself or did you cut pieces out of junk cars?
Joe
Ditto from me. I'm just amazed.
I too have removed the same panels you did, followed by some cutting, grinding, rough fiberglass, primer & paint. I am pretty good with fiberglass, resin, Bondo, and shaping (years owning jetskis) but I have welded once and that was in college sculpture class. I know I'm going to need to rent/purchase an arc welder because I have already been to a body shop and they won't have anything to do with it.
What gauge of steel?
Where did you buy the metal?
What shape were the rockers? I'm afraid to remove that plastic and reveal a can o' worms.

I have parked mine with 200K+ and now drive our daughter's old 03' Pilot. After selling (and regretting weekly) my driver 69' Camaro 20 years ago, I have sworn to self not to let the Baja go. I will still currently drive it from time to time but It will be my restoration project and hopefully a classic someday.