what is my Baja worth?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

tdumey
Scoobytruck Lurker

what is my Baja worth?

Post by tdumey »

Time to sell my Baja. Nothing is wrong with it I just need something with more towing capability. I would like some idea from people who know this car as to what it could be sold for. Here's the info on it:

2006 Turbo with 5 sp manual, 59,722 miles, outside and inside in immaculate condition, full 3M clear bra since new, Ozzbros tonneau cover two years old in perfect condition, SPT intake, Invidia turbo-back exhaust and Pro tune on dyno 217hp-242tq at the wheels, Whiteline STI front and rear sway bars. Summer tires on 18" Oz Racing Allegro wheels, winter tires on stock wheels - all wheels in great condition and one more season each on the tires, tow hitch, roof sport lights, all service and maintenance records, every fluid in car recently changed. Car drives and sounds great so there will be no surprises on the test drive.

Would appreciate if the Baja community could weigh in on a fair selling price or what I could expect to get.
Attachments
front seat.JPG
front seat.JPG (1.6 MiB) Viewed 4902 times
dash.JPG
dash.JPG (1.24 MiB) Viewed 4902 times
side view.JPG
side view.JPG (1.47 MiB) Viewed 4902 times
TrentRoogna
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: what is my Baja worth?

Post by TrentRoogna »

Unicorn.

I'm not the knowledge one on the forum, but 7 years ago I paid $18,000 for one very similar but with no turbo.

So I'd say around $23k-25k

But again, I've only got the one data point, so I could be way off.
TrentRoogna
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by TrentRoogna »

For curiosity I plugged your specs into Kelly blue book car pricer. So I can actually recommended NOT using that pricer. The number it spat out would make sense for an 06 outback, or Forester, but not a Baja.

Also, when I first read your post I somehow missed a bunch of it.

The $18k I paid was for a Stock 5spd Baja Sport with 43,000 miles. (Yes I was foolish, I know that now.)

I still think your looking at $25k+ but with a truck that nice, low milage and that much after market,. You could easily make up a price near 30 and someone will probably try to negotiate with you.
tdumey
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by tdumey »

Thanks for the feedback. I would take 20K without blinking but expect getting a good price will take some time to find someone that would appreciate what it is
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

I'll dissent: 15k is wishful thinking IMO unless you find someone with more money than brains. 60k miles is low but not "holy cow show car" low.

excellent condition helps. low mileage is a wash because while the miles are low, the age is still the same and the fluids, belts, and hoses still need to be changed. you say fluids have been done, but all of them? power steering? brake fluid? Seals leak from lack of age as much as from miles. Mods can be a plus or minus depending on the buyer. If it's what the buyer wants, add 1/3-1/2 of the parts cost. Otherwise it's a wash at best. sadly most people with 20k to spend on a 14 year old car aren't going to want mods (cuz mods = abuse) and most people looking for a 14 year old car aren't looking for that kind of price.

That being said, I'd say this is more worthy of 10k+ than most of what dealers have to offer in that price range. I'd say list it in the 15k-18k... maybe 20 with lots of room to negotiate and a LOT of patience because it's going to take a unicorn buyer to buy a semi-unicorn.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
tdumey
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by tdumey »

All fluids are recently changed, coolant, steering, brakes, diffs, gearbox, oil. Belts are good too. No leaks or seepage. But yeah, it could sell in the 15-20 range just looking for a realistic asking price. I don’t think the buyer will be looking for a 14 year old car, I’m hoping it’s someone looking for a Baja that’s in great condition and well cared for. I agree the mods don’t help I didn’t do the mods for resale but they have improved the way the car drives and a knowledgeable prospective buyer should notice that when driving it. Appreciate the feedback kamesama980.
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

TrentRoogna wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:17 amI still think your looking at $25k+ but with a truck that nice, low milage and that much after market,. You could easily make up a price near 30 and someone will probably try to negotiate with you.
All I can say is that if this happens, PM me because EVERYTHING I have will be for sale and I want to talk to this person :D
Seriously, yes, you have a nice Baja (nicer than mine, and half the accumulated miles). Price is what someone is willing to pay for it.
I'm also on an Isuzu Forum, even though my Isuzu was destroyed by fire. I can tell you this: in the last 2 years the GOING price for a clean first gen Trooper (88-91) has doubled and what used to go for 1500-2500 is now selling for up to 7K. As we say "stocks are up"
My buddy who worked his way through college selling used cars (at a lot) had a saying: "there's a butt made for every seat".
Successful sales are often made in the marketing. Used to see a lot of fools throw an intake and headers on a Chevy and advertise it as "300, 400, or whatever horsepower" and nobody bought because of all the B.S. Just market it as a Baja, nice and LOW MILEAGE, let them ask the questions and answer as it is "fresh service etc, etc." Also, start tracking what is ACTUALLY selling on evibay and that will show you true market. Dennis
TrentRoogna
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by TrentRoogna »

ZUBAJA wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:46 pm All I can say is that if this happens, PM me because EVERYTHING I have will be for sale and I want to talk to this person :D
Yeah yeah, laugh it up. I did preface my statements the disclaimer that I'm a noob who is very possibly completely wrong.

My only data point was what I paid for mine, and that his is alot nicer than mine.