Snug top hardware

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

drsmoron
Scoobytruck Lurker

Snug top hardware

Post by drsmoron »

I recently acquired a snug top in excellent condition. However it's missing a piece of hardware. Apparently there is an L Shaped bracket that attaches to the side brackets and to bolts of the smaller lid. Anyone have one that can send a picture and/or measurements? Would be even great if someone had one. Keeping fingers crossed in Vancouver wa.
Dan S
greymud
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Snug top hardware

Post by greymud »

https://imgur.com/a/LqxJD8D

This should get you started.
05 NA 5MT
drsmoron
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by drsmoron »

Thanks, however I should have given more specific info. I already have those brackets installed. There is another L shaped bracket that mounts on the side rails, and runs the width of the snug top. It looks like it it mounts right under where the small and large top meet (hinge area). I need to replace the rubber T seal on top if anyone has a part number or used something else.
Dan S
greymud
Scoobytruck Master

Post by greymud »

I don't think I'm understanding the question.

There is a bracket under the front (smaller) section of the snuglid. It looks like a piece of sheet metal that spans the bed and has short ears that mount to the sides of the bed.

The gasket is attached to the rear (larger) section of the snuglid. I haven't looked closely at that, yet. From memory, it's a T profile extruded gasket like and ARC-T017.
05 NA 5MT
drsmoron
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by drsmoron »

Sorry for the confusion. You did nail it about the piece of sheet metal though. That's the bracket I'm missing and wasn't sure what it was made of. Could not find the seal number you provided so the hunt goes on for a replacement. I came across the PDF of a snug top installation is the only way I knew there's a piece missing. I'll try to attach a screenshot of the "cross member" piece i need which looks like I will have to fabricate.
Dan S
Screenshot_20190812-061743.jpg
Screenshot_20190812-061743.jpg (354.52 KiB) Viewed 7071 times
SoobyToo58
Scoobytruck Master

Post by SoobyToo58 »

drsmoron wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:37 am Sorry for the confusion. You did nail it about the piece of sheet metal though. That's the bracket I'm missing and wasn't sure what it was made of. Could not find the seal number you provided so the hunt goes on for a replacement. I came across the PDF of a snug top installation is the only way I knew there's a piece missing. I'll try to attach a screenshot of the "cross member" piece i need which looks like I will have to fabricate.
Dan S
Screenshot_20190812-061743.jpg
greymud is mistaken about the placement of the T profile extruded gasket. It is attached to the rear edge of the smaller Front Half of the SnugLid and it is in 3 pieces. A long middle piece and 2 shorter pieces on the outside of the rubber roll bar seals. If you attach it to the front edge of the Rear Half of the lid by mistake it will jamb up between the two mating edges of the lid when you open the lid.
I lucked out last year and found the T-seal on eBay. A guy was selling it by the foot and had just 6 ft left which I bought. Do an eBay search using "T-shape rubber seal strip". Most of what comes up will be a windshield seal strip. If you contact the buyer and find out if the top of the t width is at least 7/8" then that should work. You might have to take a razor blade and cut off the 2 short nub lengths. See attached eBay photo.
Again, when installing, it should be attached to the rear edge of the Front Half of the SnugLid (using contact cement).

As for the "Frame Cross Member", I recently had one made out of 1/8" weld steel to my own specs. It's not exactly like the original as shown in the installation drawings because I didn't have an original to copy. I had it made in a "U" shape for the horizontal portion for stiffness with the 2 ears on either end and in two pieces which I bolted together to get the correct length.
I don't currently have the lid on the vehicle and the lid is in storage nearby so I'll try and get you some photos VERY soon.
Hope this helps. let me know what you think of what I've told you so far.
Attachments
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.jpg
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.jpg (88.82 KiB) Viewed 7058 times
greymud
Scoobytruck Master

Post by greymud »

https://i.imgur.com/z4FGKjR.jpg

This is my snuglid with gasket attached to the larger piece. I can't say this if factory, just how this one is.

Here's measurements on the cross bracket:

https://imgur.com/a/GUaNZtl
05 NA 5MT
drsmoron
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by drsmoron »

Great info from you guys. The t seal that I removed was glued to the bigger piece of the lid. It makes sense that it should be on the smaller lid. I've ordered one of the windshield seals, hopefully I can make it work. Still looking for an original though.
The bracket is not a big thing but I'm determined to find the dimensions or an original "somewhere".
Love this Baja forum. Appreciate the help and comments. I'll post any updates on my efforts.
Dan
SoobyToo58
Scoobytruck Master

Post by SoobyToo58 »

drsmoron wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:18 am Great info from you guys. The t seal that I removed was glued to the bigger piece of the lid. It makes sense that it should be on the smaller lid. I've ordered one of the windshield seals, hopefully I can make it work. Still looking for an original though.
The bracket is not a big thing but I'm determined to find the dimensions or an original "somewhere".
Love this Baja forum. Appreciate the help and comments. I'll post any updates on my efforts.
Dan
OK! So attached are some photos of my fabricated version of the SnugLid "FRAME CROSS MEMBER". Also attached is the shop drawing made by the shop that fabricated the olpieces for me. It only shows the larger piece. (This drawing might be enough information for an accomplished metal shop to make the one piece for you and you should be able to explain the other piece to them and how it should fit into the larger piece.) The two pieces are made from 1/8" (11ga) weld steel. In the shop drawing it is called HRPO which means Hot Rolled Pickled and Oiled. It can be painted or powder coated after it is cleaned which is necessary since it will have oil residue on it from the factory milling process.
The larger piece is "U" shaped and all bends are 90 degrees. Inside dimensions are 1/2" X 1-5/8" X 1/2" with the bend at the end at about 2-1/2". The 1/2" bends are as small or as short as the metal shop could make them with the brake they had.
I forgot to measure the length of the large piece but you should fabricate it to about 1/8" to 1/4" shorter than you'll need the final length to be.
The small add on piece is 1-9/16" wide and 2-1/2" X 2-1/2".
Again, I made the FRAME CROSS MEMBER in 2 pieces because I had to fabricate every piece of the mounting parts from scratch and could not be sure what the exact length would be. It had to be the exact distance between the two "side frames" (that's what they are called in the SnugLid installation instructions [see section B2]. I call them "Mounting Rails").
If you are using the original Mounting Rails, you might have to increase the width of these two pieces AND/OR increase the length of the bends at the end of each piece to accommodate the position of the two holes in each Mounting Rail where the original FRAME CROSS MEMBER was bolted on, on each end AND/OR you might have to increase or decrease the length of the large piece! (The finished length of my longer piece is 47-1/4" as shown in the shop drawing)
Any questions just ask. Be specific in your use of terms and how you pose a question so I know exactly what you're looking for. I've done all kinds of fabrication and hands on work all my life and I'm very exacting.
Let me know if this is what you need.
They only let me add 3 attachments so I'll add more in another message
Good Luck!
FRAME CROSS MEMBER (2 PIECES)
FRAME CROSS MEMBER (2 PIECES)
MR2.JPG (1.18 MiB) Viewed 7032 times
FRAME CROSS MEMBER w/small add on piece
MR3.JPG (1.08 MiB) Viewed 7032 times
MR4.JPG (1.14 MiB) Viewed 7032 times
Last edited by SoobyToo58 on Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
SoobyToo58
Scoobytruck Master

Post by SoobyToo58 »

drsmoron wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:18 am Great info from you guys. The t seal that I removed was glued to the bigger piece of the lid. It makes sense that it should be on the smaller lid. I've ordered one of the windshield seals, hopefully I can make it work. Still looking for an original though.
Dan
FRAME CROSS MEMBER end
FRAME CROSS MEMBER end
MR1.JPG (1.31 MiB) Viewed 7032 times
More attachments![/u][/i][/b]
FRAME CROSS MEMBER end
FRAME CROSS MEMBER end
MR1.JPG (1.31 MiB) Viewed 7032 times
FRAME CROSS MEMBER shop drawing
FRAME CROSS MEMBER shop drawing
FRAME CROSS MEMBER shop drawing.JPG (64.71 KiB) Viewed 7032 times
THAT SHOULD DO IT!
drsmoron
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by drsmoron »

Thank you for the specs. The absence of the cross member is not a big deal for me right now. My quest will be to find another Baja on the road or parked somewhere and get in touch with the owner to take a peek to see if it has the oem crossmember to get measurements and pictures. I'm retired so I have the time to hunt.
If not come next spring I'll find someone to make one using the specs you provided. HOWEVER, if I do find an oem I'll share the specs here.
Thanks again
greymud
Scoobytruck Master

Post by greymud »

You may want to look at my second post again.
05 NA 5MT
drsmoron
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by drsmoron »

Thanks greymud, I have printed out the specs from your posts and will proceed fabrication at a later date. My curiosity in finding an OEM cross member is simply to see what one REALLY looks like.
Thanks again for the specs, im a lot closer to completion than I was a week ago.
Dan
SoobyToo58
Scoobytruck Master

Post by SoobyToo58 »

drsmoron wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:14 am Thanks greymud, I have printed out the specs from your posts and will proceed fabrication at a later date. My curiosity in finding an OEM cross member is simply to see what one REALLY looks like.
Thanks again for the specs, im a lot closer to completion than I was a week ago.
Dan
Here's some info that might interest you and help you in deciding whether to fabricate a duplicate of the original FRAME CROSS MEMBER or to fabricate one like mine. First, the original and mine are not made of sheet metal. They're both made of plate steel (11ga HRPO).
The original has a very wide vertical component for stiffness which in greymuds photo CrossBracket2 looks to be 1-7/16" ID. I chose to make mine as short as possible because it would allow a bit more height for anything I might be carrying in the bed of the vehicle. Every little bit of extra room counts since the storage area within the Baja bed is so tiny to begin with. That extra inch in height might just be the difference needed some day to pack a box or something else in the vehicle bed!
You really don't need the extra stiffness that the original provides to the front half of the lid. Mine is extremely rigid and works perfectly to hold down the rear edge of the front half of the lid in the correct position. The front half of the lid needs to be forced down somewhat and bolted to the "Mounting Rails" via the FRONT HALF MOUNTING BRACKET and the FRAME CROSS MEMBER during installation or it wont be in the correct position in relation to the rear half of the lid AND it wont be watertight. (When installed correctly the lid is not really perfectly watertight but it's pretty close. You only get an occasional dribble here and there when it rains.)
The original FRAME CROSS MEMBER is overbuilt. This is not surprising because the manufacturers for truck caps and tonneau covers like ARE, SnugTop and Leer are always designing new caps for newly designed vehicles. SnugLid never improved the design (there are other kinks in the design as well) since the Baja was only in production for a few years and not very many were actually produced.
I see you're looking for the black rubber roll bar seals but you wont find new ones. SnugTop stopped making them years ago. About 2 or 3 years ago they sold their remaining stock to a parts supplier and they sold out their last ones a few years ago.
When I bought mine 2 years ago they had only 5 sets left and they were very expensive. I paid $110.00 plus shipping. I didn't find out until they were sold out that they had so few left and someone here on scoobytruck actually posted that he bought the last new set available. I should have bought an extra set because they get weathered and disintegrate in only a few years out in the elements. Those rubber seals are another weak point in the whole design.
I'm an eBay and Craigslist junkie and I've been searching for 2 years for even used ones and I've not come across any at all. I'm on eBay just about every day for other things I'm interested in so if someone was selling them, I probably would have found them.
I've been toying with the idea of fabricating them myself but I don't actually need them now and I have so much going on with other things that it's just not important enough to do it.
You'll have to design something yourself to seal those roll bar openings in the lid or get an original set in good condition to make some molds. The seals have metal stud plates embedded in the rubber with the threaded studs welded to the plates. Duplicating them is not technically difficult but it will be very time consuming and will take a bit of technical skill and a bit of welding or spot welding.
Then again, if you don't care about heavy water leaks then all this is not an issue!
drsmoron
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by drsmoron »

Thanks again greymud, I think you talked me into going with your specs, just need to find someone to fabricate one for me.
I have an ozzbros top I purchased new years ago but living in the pacific northWET it took its toll on the wood underneath after 10 years and needs replaced. It now sits in the shed awaiting it's future. I also have the original tonneau cover with the raised BAJA letters on the small all plastic section. It was on my Baja for about 2 years until I bought the ozz top. It too sits in the shed awaiting it's future.
I mention this because I too have recently been looking for Baja parts. The snug top i recently acquired was found on Facebook marketplace. Not only was it less than 6 miles away but it the same color as my Baja! I was very lucky.
Anyway, I like this forum and appreciate the input from you and anyone else. I'll have more questions as well as some things I have done to my Baja soon.
Thanks again