Sunroof issues

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

ncktuley1
Scoobytruck Lurker

Sunroof issues

Post by ncktuley1 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:19 am

So my baja has been running pretty well since i put a refreshed engine in it, but something new has come up. The sunroof started out to where it would vent up & close & open up, but it wouldnt close. Now the sunroof will still open just fine, but it wont close or vent open anymore. I've tested the switches with my multimeter & those are fine. Im starting to wonder if maybe the relay for it is bad. My question is, is where is the relay? Is it part of the motor itsself or is it somewhere else?

ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Sunroof issues

Post by ZUBAJA » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:12 am

There is a "module" attached to the motor that apparently makes the safety function where you go to close it, it moves a few inches, stops, and you hit the switch again and it closes all the way. from my internet searches about my own problems with this, the modules go bad and are part of the motor assembly ( I have been fortunate enough that I managed to get mine closed each time it didn't want to.
There is also a "fairy tale" story out there (and in the owners manual) about using an emergency handle to manually close it, but I was only able to do this after I removed the motor.
I plan to "neuter" my sunroof by eliminating the moodule and running the wires direct (I hope). When I get around to this, I will post details. Dennis

ncktuley1
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by ncktuley1 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:45 am

Damn, thats kinda what i figured. I did find that if you pull the lights & switches off of the roof, you can manually close it with a 5mm allen wrench. I guess ill start looking into what i need to do to hardwire it. Either that or ill take my chances with a junkyard motor

ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:46 pm

Yeah, but I couldn't get the "5 mm allen" deal to work until I removed the motor. I was afraid I was going to break something. Dennis