General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

BajatoMaui
Scoobytruck Lurker

Island truck, Maui, Should I buy this?

Post by BajatoMaui »

https://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/5486319?ad_cid=5
https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/a ... hcM#Owner2

I put a deposit on this today. It's pretty clean. Wife and I are moving to Hawaii and this seems like the perfect ride. Can fit surboards, easy to park in small spaces, wet dog can be in the bed, the utility of this truck just seems unbeatable. We are only staying there for 1 year as I had a temporary job transfer there. My plan is to sell it 15k miles and 1 year later. Although, if I fall in love I'll ship it back home. Please see attachments detailing the service history. Gaskets, timing belt, radiator, catalytic converter all done. Airbag recall done. Someone dumped some dough into it. And clean carfax (3 owners and no damage history--link above).

Questions are: should I buy it, for how much and what should I conservatively anticipate being able to sell it for in a year?

p.s. test drive was a positive experience except for 3 things: A/C didn't blow cold and there is a noticable "whistle" coming from the driver side window and the gas cap access door is missing the cover. I saw a post here somewhere on what many consider to be a good fix for this. Planning to do a pre-buy before I pull the trigger. I have the dealer down to $8k right now with a/c recharging/pressurization included.

One last point to note: car has lived in Utah, Arizona and Nevada according to CarFax

TIA! ~Brandon
Attachments
3.JPG
3.JPG (47.9 KiB) Viewed 3233 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (134.14 KiB) Viewed 3233 times
1.JPG
1.JPG (76.59 KiB) Viewed 3233 times
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Island truck, Maui, Should I buy this?

Post by kamesama980 »

So it's currently in UT and you'd ship it to HI? what's the damage for that? Any particular reason you're looking to buy continental and shipping it vs buying local without shipping once you get there?

I don't see any red flags but dealerships usually try not to leave any visible. Price is high but that's to be expected from a dealership. It's good they do have some maintenance records.

If you buy at that price you'll probably lose money when you sell it. That's a premium price and selling private party won't go for near as much. Nor will a dealer give you near that outright. Only way to get close would be to take an inflated trade-in value to lower the principle on a NEW car. Then again, everything's expensive in HI which may make up for it.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
BajatoMaui
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by BajatoMaui »

Thanks so much for your reply. Yes it is currently in Utah and would ship to Maui. $1,500 to get it there from Utah. I agree, it's overpriced. I did some more research last night. $7,000 would be more doable (esp when I factor shipping).

Craigslist is THE Hawaii source for used cars. NOTHING in terms of Baja's available. I have to think this would be a high demand vehicle given it's utility and the desirability for anything Subaru over there. I think I'll pull the deposit and offer $7,000 and let them come back to me if they decide to.

Thanks again! Any advice from others would be very welcomed as well!
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

Just over a tear ago when I started looking for a Baja, a co-worker suggested I contact his friend at a local Subaru dealership as they had just taken an '05, one owner, in trade. The "friend" told me it needed head gaskets "they all do or will", brakes, and something else I can't remember. He said they would let me have it "as is" for 8500 plus fees. I kept looking. Dennis
greymud
Scoobytruck Master

Post by greymud »

3 things: A/C didn't blow cold and there is a noticable "whistle" coming from the driver side window and the gas cap access door is missing the cover.

My AC was blowing ice cold for five minutes, then blowing hot. This was a $400 part.

Driver side wind noise fix is to just open it up and bend it into place.

Gas Cap door cover - look in a boneyard. If you find one, bolt it on.

have a mechanic look at it. My inspection cost $125 last year.

Enjoy!
05 NA 5MT