messy oil changes!

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

SteveNC
Scoobytruck Lurker

messy oil changes!

Post by SteveNC »

I am three oil changes into owning my Baja and I hate changing the oil on it. I’ve come to realize that it isn’t a matter of if I will spill oil but how much as the GIGANTIC oil plug empties in record time and my oil catch can’t keep up. At this point I am considering spending $35-$45 on a fancy Femco or Fumoto plug & hose assembly.

Has anyone had any experience with these or any other brands of valve style plugs?
2005 Subaru Baja Turbo
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
1996 Coachmen RB-19 (Ford E250)
1983 Mazda RX-7 GS
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Re: messy oil changes!

Post by ZUBAJA »

What are you trying to drain the oil into? I've had 5 Subarus (basically all the same oil drain), use a regular round (cheap open top) drain pan, and never had a problem with mess.
I will admit to removing the plastic panel that was under the engine on most of my Foresters. I can't remember if my Baja had one when I bought it or not, but I found the panels to be a maintenance obstacle. Maybe you are just using the wrong pan. Dennis
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

yea, what are you draining it into, a butter tub? The $10 one from the parts store works fine for me. the plug's the same size as a thousand other cars.

mine looks like this but with a closed top and hole in the middle like a funnel
https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-garag ... 134895_0_0

Maybe it's just perspective from having worked in a shop changing oil on all sorts of convoluted crap from sadistic engineers?
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
SteveNC
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by SteveNC »

When I change the Baja, i drain it onto the driveway and then soak it up with dollar store kitty litter (AKA NASCAR speedy dry).

Seriously though, most of it goes into my drain pan but the speed at which it comes out of the Baja is faster than my drain pan can keep up.

My pan looks similar to the one https://www.aerostich.com/oil-recycler-drain-pan.html

Mine holds several gallons. Probably 3-4 vehicles.
I have had it for probably 25+ years and close to a dozen vehicles since I started driving and have never had this issue. The self storing catch makes cleanup and storage simple. However with the Baja, it essentially gets vapor locked and overflows the yellow part. I also do oil samples at Blackstone so that is another reason I am considering the fancy drain plugs which would make things easier.
2005 Subaru Baja Turbo
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
1983 Mazda RX-7 GS
HaHaBajAlcyone
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by HaHaBajAlcyone »

I believe the Fumoto is a proven part and a worthwhile upgrade if you do your own changes. That being said, I don't use one and 'usually' don't make too much of a mess. Typically, I find the filter removal to be more liable to cause a puddle... I really love the top mount filter on my wife's 2.0 DIT in her Forester XT. So easy!
Not sure if earlier Bajas had this, but my 2006 has an easily removable portion of the plastic underguard to facilitate filter removal, the underguard also has a hole in it to drain the oil pan through...
SteveNC
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by SteveNC »

Yes, top mount filters are easy peasy. My Mazda has a top mount and it makes for a clean job.

I do have the slide tray on my Baja which helps with access. I have had decent luck placing a plastic shopping bag over the filter to catch the oil as I take it off. As long as the exhaust is cool when I pull the filter the bag doesn't melt and it catches most of the oil.
2005 Subaru Baja Turbo
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
1983 Mazda RX-7 GS
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

Again, my cheapie (< 5.00) drain pan catches all my oil and the oil that drips from the filter on removal. To be honest, I often take an ice pick (pick) and poke a hole in the bottom of the filter and another hole on the side. This minimizes the amount of oil from the filter. I picked up this practice from doing oil changes where the filter alone holds a gallon of oil. Dennis
greymud
Scoobytruck Master

Post by greymud »

I put a Fumoto on mine last oil change. I can't wait to use it. I got tired of messy hands from pulling the plug - I never got the hang of it.

I have a primitive skidplate that was just barely tapping against it, so I had to pound a dent in the skidplate. Other than that, no issues so far.
05 NA 5MT