Repaint options...

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Sarra
Scoobytruck Contributer

Repaint options...

Post by Sarra »

So, I've got a white/silver 2005 Turbo, and it's... Beat up. All of the silver bits, including the front and rear bumpers, side skirts, and the door trim/wheel arch accents, are beat to hell. Both side skirts are missing paint with huge scratches, the door and fender trim is pretty beat up, and both bumper covers are pretty well trashed.

So, i was considering getting the entire truck repainted. I was debating between two options, when a third came to mind recently... All three options include replacing all of the silver plastic bits. They need replaced, regardless. Luckily, the passenger door has a dent in it, which is repairable (by replacing the door skin). The really difficult bits, the pillars, quarters, etc., are all dent-free. :D The only body panels I'm going to eventually replace will be the hood, I want a CF hood, and the passenger side door skin will also get replaced.

Option 1: White. Everything will be painted white. Bumper skins, side skirts, doors, fender and door trim. This is most likely the least expensive option. The only things on the exterior that won't get painted are the roof rails, roof racks, windows, hood, and the bed.

Option 2: WRB. Same exactly as above, except I'd do WRB. This was my first option, but... I don't quite think that WRB would look good on the Baja. I don't particularly like it on the Forester, it doesn't look... Quite right. It sorta feels like it would fit, as I'm planning on eventually building the engine, putting an FP Green turbo in, and swapping in a 6MT from a 2005-2007 STi.

Option 3: Carbon Fiber. By far, the most expensive option, I would repaint the metal parts of the truck white, but the plastic silver bits would be replaced with Carbon Fiber parts, and sprayed with a clear UV protection paint. The hood would be CF as well. Expensive, since everything would have to be one-off custom made... If I was going to do a show truck, then this would be #1 lol

As you can tell, I hate silver. All of the silver bits will eventually be removed, and replaced with painted parts, or CF.

I guess Option 4 would be to just paint it black, but... I don't know. The white has grown on me... Subaru #7, but it's also white Subaru #1 for me.

Any other ideas?
FlyByNite
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Repaint options...

Post by FlyByNite »

Go crazy, do a wrap, maybe Zebra stripe, at least it would be half white.

I have seen some very nice wraps, done right it looks good and usually less $ than paint.
Yep, got a matching ARE cap.
2003 226,802 miles so far.

Enjoy
FBN
Sarra
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Sarra »

Eh, I'm not really a fan of Wraps. I mean, they're removable, which is a bonus, but... The paint's so bad, even if the sheet metal isn't damaged, it should be repainted anyway. XD
Moncrief
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Moncrief »

FlyByNite wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:32 pm Go crazy, do a wrap, maybe Zebra stripe, at least it would be half white.

I see great potential in these rangefinder binoculars and have seen some very nice wraps, done right it looks good and usually less $ than paint.
There are some nice wraps out there, no doubt. Not tried that option yet but I'm planning to this year.
Last edited by Moncrief on Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
walfredo
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by walfredo »

Dont forget about plastidip - Ive seen decent results and it peels right off - even easier than vinyl wrap.

If you live near a decent sized city/town you can usually find people who do it.
Sarra
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Sarra »

Can't really do either until the rust issue is fixed. All of the plastic trim panels, and front and rear bumpers, are trashed, they absolutely need to be replaced. So, I could do a wrap or plastidip, but I'd still need to take it to a body shop before hand, anyway.