Super Confused!!!

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Dylan2980
Scoobytruck Lurker

Super Confused!!!

Post by Dylan2980 »

Alright so just limped my Baja home and got it up in the air. While the wheel bearing in the rear may be a possibility I notice a bit of a leak on the transmission right in front of the pan. The transmission fluid is at a normal level when checked. At highway speeds starting at about 60 mph I get a loud rattle/grind sound, feels like I am driving on rumble strips and seems to drag.. again only happens at interstate speeds from what I can tell. I just had to drive it 100 miles to get home and opted for 55 mph highways rather than the interstate to make sure something catastrophic didn't happen at high speed. Any speed below 58 mph produces no symptoms. Any thoughts?
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Super Confused!!!

Post by Guacamole »

Hey there,
just a few questions so we can help diagnose:
  • Is your Baja an NA or Turbo, and is it an Automatic or Manual?
If turbo, the leak could be from the turbo oil feed line or possibly an early sign of the banjo bolt filter clogged. If it's a turbo, remove the banjo bolt filter ASAP if it hasn't been already!!!
  • Does the car rattle or shake over 58mph?
If yes, this may be a wheel alignment issue. Generally if it's a wheel bearing problem (at least in my experience) a bad bearing will just be a loud grinding noise, usually audible at all speeds but increasing in loudness with the speed.
This is all I can offer right now with the limited info.