Replacing the Baja radio.

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

flyboyaviator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Replacing the Baja radio.

Post by flyboyaviator »

What model radio that is OEM Subaru, with the USB and AUX plug to replace the one that is on the Baja 06. I want to stay OEM if possible, I know newer radios that are standard equipment on newer Subarus have all these whistles and bells, what model radio? Thanks for any help.
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Replacing the Baja radio.

Post by anarchy1024 »

Any particular reason why you want to get an OEM radio? Is it simply to have a "Subaru" logo so it looks proper, or do you think it'll be more compatible/reliable?
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

Many such radios from the OEMs are tied into the CAN lines... not so much fun to work on. Literally the only benefit to it would be having the logo on the front, aftermarket (assuming you don't just buy el-cheapo chinese knockoff junk radios) will meet or exceed just about any criteria when comparing to OE.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
dease42
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by dease42 »

The Baja radios aren't tied into anything in the car. In the 05-09 Legacy/Outback, and possibly so in the newer models, the radio on those models with Automatic Climate Control were tightly integrated into those controls, making replacement almost impossible. But on these older ones, it's a straight swap-out, without losing any functionality. These aren't integrated into anything I'm aware of.

If you want OEM, by all means, go for it - it shouldn't be hard to find one used. That said, I don't recall if any of the Baja HU's offered an aux in the first place? If it did, it would be on the later models (2005/2006), but I'm not seeing it in the specs.

Whatever you decide, the integration is minimal, and everything should work the same either route.
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

dease42 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:56 am The Baja radios aren't tied into anything in the car. In the 05-09 Legacy/Outback, and possibly so in the newer models, the radio on those models with Automatic Climate Control were tightly integrated into those controls, making replacement almost impossible. But on these older ones, it's a straight swap-out, without losing any functionality. These aren't integrated into anything I'm aware of.

If you want OEM, by all means, go for it - it shouldn't be hard to find one used. That said, I don't recall if any of the Baja HU's offered an aux in the first place? If it did, it would be on the later models (2005/2006), but I'm not seeing it in the specs.

Whatever you decide, the integration is minimal, and everything should work the same either route.
I guess I was assuming that the OP was wanting to use a radio from a newer car which might not work if it notices the rest of the car is missing because why would you want an older OE radio.

Gotta love the threads where someone posts a question but never responds back about it...
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
dease42
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by dease42 »

That makes sense about the newer radio, and in that case you would be absolutely right.

Yeah, the power of the internet :lol: I just like to assume it means our advice completely fixed it for them. :D