Project Off Road Baja

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

walfredo
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Project Off Road Baja

Post by walfredo »

I love it man, great look. I may have to switch to 15's then because I mistakenly thought they would rub on the front brake calipers as I have read on other threads.

Have you had any issues with the 1" spacers? I want to try some but keep reading horror stories about wheels spacers shearing studs and wheels falling off, etc. I drive my family around in the Baja and am nervous about running them, although I think they would greatly improve the look.

Also, can you post some photos of your specific fender trimming mods and how you went about it? I am trying to figure out how to go about trimming the inside wheel well closest to the cabin (I used a big hammer to bend in the pinch weld and heat-gunned the fender liner, but I still need more clearance). Im curious how others have done it but am still unclear how folks get the big tires (over 28") to fit. The ones you are running are around 29" and I know those would not fit in my current setup (although I am only 2" strut spacer lifted).
Rwilliamtaylor
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Rwilliamtaylor »

walfredo wrote:I love it man, great look. I may have to switch to 15's then because I mistakenly thought they would rub on the front brake calipers as I have read on other threads.

Have you had any issues with the 1" spacers? I want to try some but keep reading horror stories about wheels spacers shearing studs and wheels falling off, etc. I drive my family around in the Baja and am nervous about running them, although I think they would greatly improve the look.

Also, can you post some photos of your specific fender trimming mods and how you went about it? I am trying to figure out how to go about trimming the inside wheel well closest to the cabin (I used a big hammer to bend in the pinch weld and heat-gunned the fender liner, but I still need more clearance). Im curious how others have done it but am still unclear how folks get the big tires (over 28") to fit. The ones you are running are around 29" and I know those would not fit in my current setup (although I am only 2" strut spacer lifted).

No issues with the spacers although you need to make sure they’re torqued correctly which can be tough to do as the vehicle cannot be on the ground. I ran these spacers on my RS America race car for years with much more HP and cornering load.. no issues.

I’ll see if I can find pics of the trimming but in short it was a lot of angle grinder and BFH (Big Fn Hammer) to get rid of rubbing at Offroad angles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
walfredo
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by walfredo »

So you did do some cutting to the inside fender sheetmetal along the running board/side skirt? All I did was pound down the pinch weld with said "BFH" but sounds like you did do some cutting to the metal where the sideskirt and inside fender liner meet?

I would love it if you could post a photo of your front and rear wheel wells (preferably with wheels off). Thanks again, this thread has been very helpful
CNaylor
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by CNaylor »

+ 1 on walfredo's request for pictures of fender cuts. I'm gathering parts to do a similar build, and would like to go 17's vs 15's, and need the extra diameter (~29") room to pull that off.
Airborneguy
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Airborneguy »

Rwilliamtaylor wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:03 pm
Airborneguy wrote:Where did you get that channel?
Ordered it on Amazon.

One-Cord Channel Cable Concealer - CMC-03 Mini Cover Cable Management System - 125" Raceway Kit for Hiding a Single Ethernet Cable, Speaker Wire, Floor Lamp Cord - 8X L15.6in, W0.59in H0.39in, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D8V7RZ1/re ... YBb772BDXW

Awesome thank you!
Airborneguy
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Airborneguy »

Rwilliamtaylor wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:43 pm
walfredo wrote:I love it man, great look. I may have to switch to 15's then because I mistakenly thought they would rub on the front brake calipers as I have read on other threads.

No issues with the spacers although you need to make sure they’re torqued correctly which can be tough to do as the vehicle cannot be on the ground. I ran these spacers on my RS America race car for years with much more HP and cornering load.. no issues.

I’ll see if I can find pics of the trimming but in short it was a lot of angle grinder and BFH (Big Fn Hammer) to get rid of rubbing at Offroad angles.

May I ask how you secured the wire guide to the windshield?
Mdarling345
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Mdarling345 »

I love the way the bush bar looks. What skid plate do you have so you could attach the bar?